• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Recommended Posts

Seems to be a battle between the two Manchester clubs for Harry Maguire.

The word on the grapevine is he favours the blue half.

We apparently value him at £90million, which to be honest even in this market I don't think we'll get, but I can see him going for a lot still.

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the fuck do City need him for? A 90 million bench option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dan said:

The word on the grapevine is he favours the blue half.

Lol, really? Shocking that he'd prefer the side that's actually able to compete for titles present day rather than the side that's looking like it's got yet another rebuilding season ahead of it. xD

I hope he stays at Leicester though. City don't really need him and they'll probably stunt his career (like they did with Mahrez) and United do need a better CB, but the world is better when they are dogshit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we keep him. He's flawed in some parts but there's also many other reasons that he's valued so highly of in most parts. 

A club like us, these days, don't need to sell our best assets just to keep the financies in the black. There's no pressure to sell to get money in. 

Apparently he doesn't even want to leave anyway. Just slap a ridiculous price tag on him anyway and watch clubs do one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell has the English tax been increased be 100%?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the 90m is to deter clubs from trying to get him but would you really say no to that kind of money? If the deal can be closed soon then Leicester have the whole summer to pick and choose players as replacements and invest wisely too. Rip off one of the Manchester clubs and make good on a cheap investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mel81x said:

Think the 90m is to deter clubs from trying to get him but would you really say no to that kind of money? If the deal can be closed soon then Leicester have the whole summer to pick and choose players as replacements and invest wisely too. Rip off one of the Manchester clubs and make good on a cheap investment.

To be fair, we wouldn't even need to buy a replacement. We've got Benkovic (who played for most of the season under Rodgers at Celtic), Caglar Soyuncu (youngster, played for Turkey national team already), Jonny Evans and then Wes Morgan. The latter 2 obviously getting on a bit but could still do a job, especially Evans.

Couple of reserves could come through, too.

It's why we don't need to sell. Nowadays clubs like us, Wolves, Everton, West Ham etc can say no to the money cos it's not like we're desperate for it.

I'd rather keep a good enough player for our squad than rip off a club just for the sake of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

To be fair, we wouldn't even need to buy a replacement. We've got Benkovic (who played for most of the season under Rodgers at Celtic), Caglar Soyuncu (youngster, played for Turkey national team already), Jonny Evans and then Wes Morgan. The latter 2 obviously getting on a bit but could still do a job, especially Evans.

Couple of reserves could come through, too.

It's why we don't need to sell. Nowadays clubs like us, Wolves, Everton, West Ham etc can say no to the money cos it's not like we're desperate for it.

I'd rather keep a good enough player for our squad than rip off a club just for the sake of it.

The issue with that is the player can get turned by the prospect of a better club and in reality if City comes knocking it doesn't really matter about whether the club needs the money anymore. He might not get as much game time but learning under someone like Guardiola might improve him in areas where he is deficient and thus improve his overall game as well. I think England would be the real beneficiaries in the end but like you said clubs these days dont need to sell just for the sake of it anymore. You wouldn't also necessarily use the money to buy another defensive player maybe an offensive one to supplement your attack as well. Vardy is getting on and someone to come in and play there wouldn't be such a bad idea i'd imagine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

The issue with that is the player can get turned by the prospect of a better club and in reality if City comes knocking it doesn't really matter about whether the club needs the money anymore. He might not get as much game time but learning under someone like Guardiola might improve him in areas where he is deficient and thus improve his overall game as well. I think England would be the real beneficiaries in the end but like you said clubs these days dont need to sell just for the sake of it anymore. You wouldn't also necessarily use the money to buy another defensive player maybe an offensive one to supplement your attack as well. Vardy is getting on and someone to come in and play there wouldn't be such a bad idea i'd imagine?

Maguire has already apparently said he doesn't want to leave. I know a footballer's word is about as trustworthy as a politician's these days but it's something to hang on to xD 

Agree about investing in other parts of the squad, mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd still start Evans next year, our record with him is as good as any of the other centre halves.

If we did go for a replacement I'd go for Ake, but if we do then you've got to question why we spent about £35mil on Benkovic and Soyuncu a year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man City need a world class centre back not Harry Maguire. He’s probably more solid than United’s defenders so I can see why they’d go for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Man City need a world class centre back not Harry Maguire. He’s probably more solid than United’s defenders so I can see why they’d go for him

Maybe to keep the homegrown quota going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's the English Otamendi, decent but flawed, wouldn't pay more than 30million  ..De Ligt would be a much better option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we were willing to spend 80 million on a defender it certainly wouldn’t be him 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see City being in for him. Probably a case of his agent/Leicester trying to get more out of Man Utd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I can't see City being in for him. Probably a case of his agent/Leicester trying to get more out of Man Utd.

Better off staying with us than go to the car-crash of a club that Utd are right now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£90m would be beyond ridiculous. That's 20% more than Liverpool paid for Van Dijk for fucks sake.

Nailed on he goes to United for £85m and Woodward thinks hes done a great job to get them down to that price. xD

For City he would be an upgrade on Stones but you could get two better defenders for £90m if you look abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

369217064_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.4e28607c0a5eab5c7e5df7b8aebe861c.png

Manchester United have pulled out of the running to sign Leicester City and England defender Harry Maguire after being told the 26-year-old will cost £100m.(Mirror)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/06/2019 at 18:20, RandoEFC said:

£90m would be beyond ridiculous. That's 20% more than Liverpool paid for Van Dijk for fucks sake.

Nailed on he goes to United for £85m and Woodward thinks hes done a great job to get them down to that price. xD

For City he would be an upgrade on Stones but you could get two better defenders for £90m if you look abroad.

Maguire isn’t that good imo and I think he’ll be exposed if United get back to fighting for top honours

Don’t think he’s a massive improvement on what they have tbh and probably wouldn’t be getting this move if he wasn’t English

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leicester laughing their tits off at that price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite right. Delighted we actually hold some power nowadays.

There's no way he'll go for £100mil by the way.

I'd cash in for a good amount tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling Leicester have this method where we'll let one player go a summer if we're able to collectively strengthen. Like last year, we let Mahrez go and took the hit in his position, but at the same time we managed to get in Maddison, Ricardo and Evans who are all upgrades on what we had - as well as two promising centre halves in Soyuncu and Benkovic (those two cost a combined £30-35mil which I bet the majority weren't aware of).

Likewise here, if we sell Maguire for say, £75million, that will pay for Tielemans and allow us to get in either a quality, productive wide man (something we haven't had since Mahrez), or another striker, or simply just replace Maguire. It's tricky to know what to do with centre halves, because as stated we paid a fair bit for two last summer and if we aren't going to utilise them then you've got to ask why we bothered. I would rather use Soyuncu than go and sign Lewis Dunk who we've been linked with, and strengthen elsewhere.

This summer I'd like to see us sign Tielemans, Justin (he's pretty much a done deal), Maupay & Sarr. Maguire is a loss but how big a loss, time will tell - he's made plenty of defensive errors in this side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I think Maguire is a decent player but if he was Spanish he would cost 15m. Fleece those mancs as much as possible please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rick said:

I mean, I think Maguire is a decent player but if he was Spanish he would cost 15m. Fleece those mancs as much as possible please.

Weighing it up I hope we do. We'd get well over the odds for him. I could name about six players I'd keep over him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a player as good for a third of the price Maguire will cost. An absolutely insane transfer, that only one of the Manchester clubs could consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2019 at 19:40, Inverted said:

You can get a player as good for a third of the price Maguire will cost. An absolutely insane transfer, that only one of the Manchester clubs could consider.

The funny thing here is we possibly have done, twice, last summer.

It's not impossible that Benkovic and/or Soyuncu are as good, if not better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dan said:

The funny thing here is we possibly have done, twice, last summer.

It's not impossible that Benkovic and/or Soyuncu are as good, if not better.

Benkovic could definitely take his place, I think. Soyuncu not right now but could do within next 1-2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Benkovic could definitely take his place, I think. Soyuncu not right now but could do within next 1-2 years. 

Benkovic seems to have injury problems that worry me. Soyuncu we blew a good chance to give some time to last season. To be honest our strategy makes no sense to me if we go and sign someone like Dunk or Tarkowski to replace Maguire should he go.

If we aren't going to play Soyuncu this year then loan him to a Norwich like side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement