• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Name A Stand

football forum

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

We already have a Sir Matt Busby & Sir Alex Ferguson stands with the East & West stands so it would be nice to have a stand named The Budby Babes Stand or The Duncan Edwards Stand, that young lad was only 21 when he died in the Munich Air Disaster crash, played for United and England Schoolboys, England U23, England B & England and he was then recognised as being a future all-time great. 

• Administrator

The Arthur Chandler Stand - a nod to our history for our record goalscorer. 273 goals in 1920s & 1930s.

The Khun Vichai Stand - obviously in honour of our late chairman. In all honesty, I think a future stadium may be named after him*.

The Claudio Ranieri Stand* - for obvious reasons, again. What a time to be alive 2015-16 was.

The Jamie Vardy Stand - something you'd probably get at Fleetwood as opposed to here but let's face it, he's the best striker we've ever had in modern times.

*In reality, I can see there being statues for Vichai especially. Perhaps when our stadium expansion is completed there'll be something in honour of Vichai. If the stand isn't renamed after him I expect there to be a statue.

Same for Ranieri and perhaps Vardy when he retires.

It is frankly a disgrace that we haven't renamed the town after Tugay.

We currently have the three impressive sides of Ewood named after club heroes (the Brian Douglas Darwen End, Ronnie Clayton Blackburn End, and main Jack Walker stand, who also has a statue), plus the new road outside named after Alan Shearer. The three playing legends beyond Douglas and Clayton (the outstanding two, and Shearer which still baffles me) are probably Derek Fazackerley, Simon Garner and Tugay; but I can't imagine we'll ever have anything but a sponsor on the Riverside stand on account of how dismal it looks comapred to the rest.

You'd have to think it'd be players like Osgood, Harris Clarke, Hollins, Tambling, Wise, Bentley, and Bonetti would be up the list. Though I think most of those players have parts of the stadium already named after them, not necessarily stands. You could make an arguement on Jimmy Greaves, even though he played for Spurs longer; just because he was an academy player and 'the one that got away'.

You'd think Terry and Lampard in the future would have to be considered.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

In English we call it a play on words. Because Weise sounds like WeiB.

I believe in German that's covered by not having a sense of humour.

Except Wiese doesn't sound like weiß at all xD

35 minutes ago, nudge said:

Except Wiese doesn't sound like weiß at all xD

My german teacher has a lot to answer for then.

Just google translate listened to it. That bitch. She had us saying WieB correctly, but Wiese sounded like "why-se" not 'we-ser'

This is the public school system in action thoughxD

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

In English we call it a play on words. Because Weise sounds like WeiB.

I believe in German that's covered by not having a sense of humour.

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Just google translate listened to it. That bitch. She had us saying WieB correctly, but Wiese sounded like "why-se" not 'we-ser'

Seems like in Germany they have better schooling :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Wiese is pronounced like Wee-se. Weise would sound like the colour. There goes the last percentage of Germaness I thought you had. 

4 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

We already have a stand name after SMB.

Unfortunately that isn't the case. There was a petition a few years or so ago to have the East Stand on Sir Matt Busby Way named after him too but so far it hasn't happened. It's the stand with his statue outside 

• Subscriber
On 29/08/2019 at 23:11, Spike said:

You'd have to think it'd be players like Osgood, Harris Clarke, Hollins, Tambling, Wise, Bentley, and Bonetti would be up the list. Though I think most of those players have parts of the stadium already named after them, not necessarily stands. You could make an arguement on Jimmy Greaves, even though he played for Spurs longer; just because he was an academy player and 'the one that got away'.

You'd think Terry and Lampard in the future would have to be considered.

No chance in the current era you could have Greaves. Proper Tottenham legend - 9 years at the club, our record scorer etc. Left Chelsea really early. Think it's a non-starter 

25 minutes ago, Storts said:

No chance in the current era you could have Greaves. Proper Tottenham legend - 9 years at the club, our record scorer etc. Left Chelsea really early. Think it's a non-starter 

Academy player, 100+ goals and at a higher strike rate than he had at Tottenham. ;)

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Spike said:

Academy player, 100+ goals and at a higher strike rate than he had at Tottenham. ;)

Yeah - but he was there for 4 years in the first team...he then went on to become one of your biggest rivals greatest ever players. No chance you can name a stand after someone like that  

Just now, Storts said:

Yeah - but he was there for 4 years in the first team...he then went on to become one of your biggest rivals greatest ever players. No chance you can name a stand after someone like that  

He didn't join QPR.

Archived