The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.4354b1f0d3aa11074069cd2e9b8f10c1.png

Indian inventor revs up the corona car to drive home lockdown message

BB12kYqa.img?h=512&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Yadav said police had been 'supportive' of his mission

A giant coronavirus is stalking the streets of southern India -- propelled by a 100 cc engine and an inventor trying to drive home the message that Indians should stay indoors as the pandemic sweeps across the world. 

Sudhakar Yadav's wacky small single-seater car -- made of fluorescent-green fibre and complete with the red crown-like spikes of the virus -- has been racking up the miles in the tech hub of Hyderabad to remind fellow citizens of the dangers of COVID-19. 

FULL REPORT

• Haha 1

• Administrator

TWATS.

A couple from Leicester were stopped driving to the Lake District with walking and camping equipment, police said.

The pair made the three-hour plus journey as the government repeated calls for people to stay in and avoid all but essential travel.

97916cb1-e021-43ff-8fe1-eaa89516c0e6.png

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Do they have any 5G masts in that area?:ph34r:

On a serious note,  there are an estimated 12000 deaths in Madrid so far. If fataility rate is 0.37% then Madrid would have 24000 deaths from 100% infection rate. They're half that now. Madrid would have to have something in the range of 2 to 4 million cases rather than about 400k that the WHO fatality rates would estimate :o

Back of a beer mat estimates obviously 

There's always the question if the findings in Gangelt are applicable to other places in Germany, never mind in other countries. I think it should be taken with a grain of salt as different countries and even different regions within a country will have a different fatality rate due to numerous factors. However, I believe that it's also similar to the fatality rates reported in South Korea and Denmark, and even on the Diamond Princess; to me that just confirms that the virus itself is not as scary as long as the hospitals aren't being overrun, hence why lockdowns and other containment measures matter a lot until there's a vaccine/proper effective treatment . That said, Spain's number of actual cases are definitely gigantic either way, I do believe that your estimates for Madrid (or Italy, or any other country with high death count) are not far off.  This is an interesting study from Imperial College London. Their estimates are approx. 6 million infected in Italy and 7 million in Spain (as of March 28th). https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf

1 minute ago, nudge said:

There's always the question if the findings in Gangelt are applicable to other places in Germany, never mind in other countries. I think it should be taken with a grain of salt as different countries and even different regions within a country will have a different fatality rate due to numerous factors. However, I believe that it's also similar to the fatality rates reported in South Korea and Denmark, and even on the Diamond Princess; to me that just confirms that the virus itself is not as scary as long as the hospitals aren't being overrun, hence why lockdowns and other containment measures matter a lot until there's a vaccine/proper effective treatment . That said, Spain's number of actual cases are definitely gigantic either way, I do believe that your estimates for Madrid (or Italy, or any other country with high death count) are not far off.  This is an interesting study from Imperial College London. Their estimates are approx. 6 million infected in Italy and 7 million in Spain (as of March 28th). https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf

Only problem with Imperial College London is that in their other work on predictions for UK daily deaths it has been blown out of the water by reality and they told us to put their work in the bin :4_joy:

They are also at the heart of the UK's original slow like pace to do anything, famously within 3 days they went from saying we'd be ok for a while to we are fucked right now stay away from all humans. It's the same team. The same professors. 

Are predictive health scientists the new econo-missed's?

I guess if you make enough predictions you'll get one right.

• Haha 4

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Only problem with Imperial College London is that in their other work on predictions for UK daily deaths it has been blown out of the water by reality and they told us to put their work in the bin :4_joy:

They are also at the heart of the UK's original slow like pace to do anything, famously within 3 days they went from saying we'd be ok for a while to we are fucked right now stay away from all humans. It's the same team. The same professors. 

Are predictive health scientists the new econo-missed's?

I guess if you make enough predictions you'll get one right.

xD I get your point, but to be fair I think making predictions on a novel virus with a limited data is not the easiest thing to do... Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but when you're dealing with it as it starts happening, failed models resulting  in poor predictions are inevitable.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

xD I get your point, but to be fair I think making predictions on a novel virus with a limited data is not the easiest thing to do... Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but when you're dealing with it as it starts happening, failed models resulting  in poor predictions are inevitable.

You mentioned 0.4%. Yet I’ve read 3-4% today as a figure believed by the WHO. Amazing that width of range. The gap between those two is enormous....

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

You mentioned 0.4%. Yet I’ve read 3-4% today as a figure believed by the WHO. Amazing that width of range. The gap between those two is enormous....

Yes, and it keeps on changing as new evidence comes into play. It will take years to get a full picture. 

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

What is it with mouth breathers on Facebook sharing posts like “x amount of people have recovered from Covid-19 in Italy, if they’d died it would be all over the media, like and share to get this in the public eye”?

Is Covid19 not all over the fucking media? Or all the deaths in Italy that were pretty much all the news would talk about until it hit the UK & US?

I think the 8pm clapping thing was a nice gesture at first, but now I’m seeing it’s just a way for people to record a video of themselves for social media... or for people to neighbor shame (like my cunt uncle giving my dad shit for not clapping last night). It’s a bit rich if you’ve been told “you don’t support the NHS!!!!” when it’s from someone who routinely votes Tory. Oh, now you support the NHS, you fucking twats, is it because now you’re afraid of dying and you want treatment?

I hate my fucking uncle 

Welsh Government once again trying to play politics and considering further lockdown measures, including preventing people from leaving home to exercise. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52245811

This should be a united response you absolute fuckwits. 

I hope people on here start to understand why I fucking hate Welsh Labour so fucking much. If they were in blue, they'd be torn apart. 

It's criminal how the furlough cut of date is so far back. I missed out on it by two days and now have to go back and live with parents until this is over. I even have a contract agreed before the 28th of February as evidence. I will never vote conservatives again because of this it is terrible

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the 8pm clapping thing was a nice gesture at first, but now I’m seeing it’s just a way for people to record a video of themselves for social media... or for people to neighbor shame (like my cunt uncle giving my dad shit for not clapping last night). It’s a bit rich if you’ve been told “you don’t support the NHS!!!!” when it’s from someone who routinely votes Tory. Oh, now you support the NHS, you fucking twats, is it because now you’re afraid of dying and you want treatment?

I hate my fucking uncle 

:4_joy:

I've found it quite emotional, sad and moving seeing a lot of people on my street out clapping, banging pots and pans, whistling and letting off fireworks. For me it makes the whole thing real and frightening whilst also bringing a sense of purpose for a change. As does walking around the street seeing rainbows and teddy's in the window. 

It's easy to lock yourself in and live the crisis through the internet watching the numbers coming in.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I've found it quite emotional, sad and moving seeing a lot of people on my street out clapping, banging pots and pans, whistling and letting off fireworks. For me it makes the whole thing real and frightening whilst also bringing a sense of purpose for a change. As does walking around the street seeing rainbows and teddy's in the window. 

It's easy to lock yourself in and live the crisis through the internet watching the numbers coming in.

Enjoying seeing all these as well.

My neighbours did an archway of balloons in rainbow colours outside their house. Nice to see.

91805908_10222007443673241_1009466388579

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Spain potentially past its peak?

Lowest daily death total since 24th March (605) and lowest cases recorded since outbreak started (4576).

No peak rate of infection is different from peak in number of deaths, I was talking to my paramedic pal today down in south west (Brummie in exile) and he said they are working towards a peak of 19th of May that’s when they get the most cases through their hospital, infection peaks as 2 weeks before that is the peak for hospital admission. 

he said they’re behind there compared to major urban Centers as it’s spread more quickly but initially covid has wiped out the sick, the type that would have been gone next infection anyway. Now they’re starting to see those genuine cases who’ve suffered at home for 7-10 days and now have sepsis coming in, this will be lower death rate but still high. So we will have 6-700 dead for a consistent period but now it’s high because it’s  (Covid-19) already picked off the low hanging fruit (horrible expression I know but can’t think of another)  it will slow as it gets stronger hosts to battle it. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's criminal how the furlough cut of date is so far back. I missed out on it by two days and now have to go back and live with parents until this is over. I even have a contract agreed before the 28th of February as evidence. I will never vote conservatives again because of this it is terrible

Lol awe bless sounds like you’ve really got to sacrifice 

42 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is Covid19 not all over the fucking media? Or all the deaths in Italy that were pretty much all the news would talk about until it hit the UK & US?

I hate my fucking uncle 

As Harv has indicated in his post, it’s about national morale,  this is going into the months

26 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Shut up @Fairy In Boots you horrible fucking cunt. The conservatives have done it deliberately so thousands miss out. People will go homeless because of this, won't be able to feed their kids. It's a ridiculous cut of date

What they say when you brought forth the contract of employment? 

@Cicero sorry I don't know what you mean mate. I joined the company after the 28th February so I'm not eligible for it. I was bought of an agency but started after the 28th but the contract was pre agreed and there is evidence of it 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Cicero sorry I don't know what you mean mate. I joined the company after the 28th February so I'm not eligible for it. I was bought of an agency but started after the 28th but the contract was pre agreed and there is evidence of it 

Oh I though you were contracted before the cutoff date. Still, only 2 days. Have you argued that to them? 

Did you have a lapse in employment? Can your former employer not furlough you?