talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

All that whilst there's people near where I live saying they've been at home for 2 weeks now so it's okay to ignore the restrictions... 

Short-sightedness from them. And downright selfishness, too. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Short-sightedness from them. And downright selfishness, too. 

It's just stupidity. For the most part, everyone I know seems to be dealing with it the right way and only going out for the essentials. There's still a few on Facebook who are idiots but they always have been so natural selection will deal with those eventually!

33 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

All that whilst there's people near where I live saying they've been at home for 2 weeks now so it's okay to ignore the restrictions... 

Yeah that's fucked but there should be a few things happening in that space. Expectation management and a public conversation about what comes next. Vaccine best case is 18 months away. The economic hit being taken now probably can't be sustained that long. 

Yesterday was not a brilliant day here for weather, but today the sun is out again and the temperature is back up.  This lockdown seems easier to me when the day is brighter and there are things to look at outside - and the warmth is OK for a walk round the block.  If this continues for another few weeks am I alone in thinking it will be easier if the sun keeps shining and we are not under grey skies physically and mentally?

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Yes but your testing rate (per capita) is 6 or 7 times higher than Brazil or Argentina.

That's true but looking at the news and seeing some of the poorer districts being flooded with panic buyers or protesters is genuinely worrying.

• Administrator

This guy is not too far from me. An absolute hero in more ways than one.

£2m raised for NHS :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52278746

A 99-year-old army veteran who has raised more than £2m to help the NHS in the fight against Covid-19 has vowed to keep going even though he has smashed his original £1,000 target.

Tom Moore aimed to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday, walking with the aid of a frame.

However he has now said he will not stop and hopes to do another 100.

NHS Charities Together, which will benefit from the funds, said it was "truly inspired and humbled".

More than 98,000 people from around the world have donated money to his fundraising page since it was set up late last week.

Mr Moore began raising funds to thank the "magnificent" NHS staff who helped him with treatment for cancer and a broken hip.

He hoped to walk 100 laps of the 25-metre (82ft) loop in his garden in Marston Moretaine, in 10-lap chunks, before his 100th birthday at the end of the month.

Tom Moore

As funds topped the £1m mark earlier, "Captain Tom", as he is known, described it as "almost unbelievable".

"When you think of who it is all for - all those brave and super doctors and nurses we have got - I think they deserve every penny, and I hope we get some more for them too."

Ellie Orton, chief executive of the charity on the receiving end of Mr Moore's fundraising, said: "I think I absolutely join the rest of the country in being truly inspired and profoundly humbled by Captain Tom and what he has achieved.

"Thank you for being an inspiration and a role model."

Money raised by him and others for the charity is being spent on well-being packs for NHS staff, rest and recuperation rooms, electronic devices to enable hospital patients to keep in contact with loved ones, and working with community groups to support patients once they have been discharged from hospitals.

Mr Moore was born in Keighley, West Yorkshire and trained as a civil engineer before enlisting in the army for World War Two. He rose to captain and served in India and Burma.

"I do [laps] each day, so that eventually I'll get to 100, then after that I shall continue and do some more," he said.

The support so far had been "absolutely fabulous", he added.

"Let's all carry on and remember that things will get better," Mr Moore said.

"We have had problems before - we have overcome them - and we shall all overcome the same thing again."

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Harvsky said:

:4_joy:

There's been a lot of talk of these love televised daily briefings being a huge waste of time and becoming a surrogate campaign rally for trump in an era where he can't do them.... 

See below. They have been essential in allowing the president to pull himself out of a state. The narcissist needs his fix. 

Sounds like today was his worst one yet.

Wife has recieved the dreaded mail from work: either agree to the new restructured wages, which are substantially less, or submit your resignation. 

Friend, who is another company, received an email with a similar template. I suppose, this is how most companies would go forward. Easier to force people to quit rather than fire them.

On the pandemic front, we are doing somewhat better than most other nations - at least so far. Can't say the same about my state. Probably the worst in the country, where others are doing better.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Sad 2

Cases of the novel coronavirus in Chile have climbed past 7,500, including 82 deaths, while over 2,300 have recovered from infection as of Tuesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

But coronavirus patients in Chile who have died are being counted among the country's recovered population because they are "no longer contagious," Chile's Health Minister Jaime Mañalich said this week.

"We have 898 patients who are no longer contagious, who are not a source of contagion for others and we include them as recovered. These are the people who have completed 14 days of diagnosis or who unfortunately have passed away," Mañalich announced at a press conference.

https://www.newsweek.com/chile-counts-those-who-died-coronavirus-recovered-because-theyre-no-longer-contagious-health-1497775

If that’s true O.o

• Haha 4

On 13/04/2020 at 12:09, Stan said:

It wasn't her video, per se. As @Danny said she was using it as comparison to how Ireland reacted in the same scenario - shut down their national Saints day!! While UK carried on holding events with 1000s of people. 

I still don't see where she says China are blameless here - in fact I don't recall her specficially mentioning China at all. So I'm now wondering where the agenda is?

Where/when did the WHO claim the virus wouldn't be a global problem? Genuinely missed that if that has happened

Who's blaming families going for walks? In UK that's just what has been advised so they're not going to be the direct spread are they if they're walking and being socially distant as advised? 

I don't get how countries not acting quick enough is a separate blame. There's culpability all over the place, literally. You're right in that China perhaps could have acted quicker and definitely should have listened to that whistleblower doctor who sadly lost his life shortly after. But then just because China acted slowly and lacked responsibility, doesn't absolve other countries in the aftermath of the spread. Nothing to do with being scared but sometimes each individual country has to take responsibility for their own actions as well.

Blame the government all you want, I don't disagree with that bit. But then to not blame people for having parties when it's explicitly been said not to do specifically that. In relation to the above paragraph, people have to be responsible as well. Just because some shit happened before (the bat-eaters in China) doesn't mean you can carry on doing what you want (the house parties in UK) because you think someone else is to blame. That's like saying someone caused a gas leak in your street but you're gonna carry on cooking on your stove because you're hungry. You have to use your common sense and think about the bigger picture. 

Also, while people having a party in whatever place may not be immediately the brightest idea, it's the knock-on effect of that. Say there's 20 people in that house. It only takes one person there to have the virus. They come in to contact with all 20 people. Boom. Virus is now having a field day. Those 20 people now go back home to their families, some elderly. Virus is thinking they've hit the fucking jackpot here. Knock off some elderly people, stick some other relatives in hospital and take up some beds and ICU rooms in a hospital. Now that one person originally at the party has caused that...

I'm not sure what else to say about it because you seem hell-bent on blaming China and only China. And therein lies the issue. I'm not saying they shouldn't have any blame. Far from it. But it's how other countries and perhaps governments/individuals within those countries that have reacted (poorly in some parts) who have also been a catalyst for the spread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/health/china-virus-who-emergency.html.

I'm by, no means, a fan of FOX News, but this is just ridiculous: 

.Joke of an organization. 

Edited by ASF

8 minutes ago, Rab said:

I've kinda stopped following everything because it's depressing as fuck to read.

Are we any closer to a vaccine or a solution that allows us to leave the house?

Vaccine is probably going to be at least 12 months so squash that. Depends if the virus lowers in hotter weather and how many people become immune to it naturally. I think they’ll be some form of social distancing for the foreseeable future such as 6 months. Restaurants won’t be able to pack people in, cinemas will have to operate at 50% capacity etc.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Rab said:

I've kinda stopped following everything because it's depressing as fuck to read.

Same. Not cos it's depressing per se at the moment, but it's just seems to be all you see on TV. I pay attention to the daily updates and odd update on Twitter but I cba watching the news these days any more every day, anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Rab said:

Same here really. I'm working from home for the foreseeable future as I work in NHS Wales, but generally checking the updates from Welsh and UK Governments only. 

Constantly chatting about it or checking is going to get more depressing as shit otherwise.