talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are You Scared/Worried About Coronavirus?

football forum

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Again, this is a new virus. We don't know much about it. The first wave of Spanish Flu was much less deadly than the second wave - it's not scaremongering to urge people to be cautious.

Let's say it does spread to 40% of the population and the overall mortality rate goes down because it's "only affecting old people" (although you know what, 1.3% of people 50-59 is still a lot of people dying that aren't that old) - death isn't the only known risk of coronavirus. It's causing Fibrosis in the lungs - that's permanent (yes, it's not reversible) damage to the lungs (which are really important to people because it's how we get oxygen).

A highly contagious disease with a low mortality rate can still kill a lot of people. A highly contagious disease that can cause permanent lung damage will make serious health impacts to a lot of people.

It's not something to take lightly.

I'm not taking it lightly at all mate, but so far it doesn't seem to worrying for people my age that aren't immune. I'm trying to stay optimistic but also cautious as I definitely don't want the virus nor do I want it to spread.

The worst case scenario doesn't always come true and I can admit I was wrong yesterday as to saying the WHO was scaremongering. Them making that political statement was necessary to avoid the spread.

However, I don't think we should just assume it will be like the Spanish Flu. There was much less technology back then and the world was just coming off a world war. We should do our best efforts to contain the virus now and not allow it to come back with another deadly wave, but as things currently stand, the death rate doesn't look so bad and it seems to be the elderly and immune that are suffering the most.

Half the people have recovered, so for now I'm staying optimistic but obviously cautious. I'm trying not to panic but also using common sense.

3d9e45b02e148075e7a2ec92c302dac6.png

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Machado said:

There are people who are immune to covid-19?

Yeah just thinking about it, I'm using the wrong word. Basically I'm talking about people with diabetes and the likes. I thought "immune" was the word xD

9 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

However, I don't think we should just assume it will be like the Spanish Flu. There was much less technology back then and the world was just coming off a world war. We should do our best efforts to contain the virus now and not allow it to come back with another deadly wave, but as things currently stand, the death rate doesn't look so bad and it seems to be the elderly and immune that are suffering the most.

Immune means resistant to an infection. So anyone who's immune wouldn't be suffering the most. But nobody is immune because this is a novel (never been seen before) virus.

If the virus continues spreading at this rate, there's a real worry about whether or not healthcare systems will be able to withstand the strain it'll be putting on them. Are countries going to rush build mass hospital facilities for the virus and structures to quarantine people like China did? Do other countries have the same manpower & infrastructure capability? Do we even want to do that given that one of those quarantine "hotels" collapsed in China?

It's going to take individuals to stop the spread. It's going to mean we have to do things we don't want to do, like for me... I really wanted to go to a gig this weekend. I won't be going to that gig this weekend because I want to minimise close contact with people as much as possible. We want to be minimising contact with others, because it can lie dormant for so long we don't know who's got it (we may even have it without knowing). The good news about the low mortality rate in young people - the people that I think are most likely to attend most social functions - is if we stay away from people, we can do a great job in stopping the spread of the virus.

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Yeah just thinking about it, I'm using the wrong word. Basically I'm talking about people with diabetes and the likes. I thought "immune" was the word xD

You must have meant people with autoimmune diseases.

Also I made a typo in explaining what immune was and made it seem like people who have immunities (aka nobody right now) is suffering the most.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Immune means resistant to an infection. So anyone who's immune would be suffering the most. But nobody is immune because this is a novel (never been seen before) virus.

If the virus continues spreading at this rate, there's a real worry about whether or not healthcare systems will be able to withstand the strain it'll be putting on them. Are countries going to rush build mass hospital facilities for the virus and structures to quarantine people like China did? Do other countries have the same manpower & infrastructure capability? Do we even want to do that given that one of those quarantine "hotels" collapsed in China?

It's going to take individuals to stop the spread. It's going to mean we have to do things we don't want to do, like for me... I really wanted to go to a gig this weekend. I won't be going to that gig this weekend because I want to minimise close contact with people as much as possible. We want to be minimising contact with others, because it can lie dormant for so long we don't know who's got it (we may even have it without knowing). The good news about the low mortality rate in young people - the people that I think are most likely to attend most social functions - is if we stay away from people, we can do a great job in stopping the spread of the virus.

Yeah I was going to a Peruvian league game with a friend but also decided against it. The bad thing is I have to fly back to Canada next week and it will be a bureaucratic nightmare to go through, albeit necessary. Obviously I'm worried about getting it while there too. I do think we need to not panic though. Health estimates like "40% of the world will get infected" are needed. Media sensationalism based off their own hunch are not though.

Just stay cautious and stay at home. I'm not going out again while I'm here in Peru.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Machado said:

There are people who are immune to covid-19?

Well technically those who get infected and then recover gain immunity for a while but it's unknown yet how long it lasts.

My mother has complained of a sore throat and a cough the last day or so. See how it goes over the weekend, but there is zero chance my young niece is staying over at the weekend. Fuck sake. 

57 minutes ago, Rick said:

My mother has complained of a sore throat and a cough the last day or so. See how it goes over the weekend, but there is zero chance my young niece is staying over at the weekend. Fuck sake. 

It's flu and cold season too, so I wouldn't be too worried. But it's worth keeping an eye on it especially if she develops a fever as well. 

22 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It's flu and cold season too, so I wouldn't be too worried. But it's worth keeping an eye on it especially if she develops a fever as well. 

Yeah, I’m not too worried at the moment as she is always picking up little illnesses. 

• Subscriber

I think I possibly had it starting around two weeks ago. I had the usual flu symptoms but the bit that got me was that I genuinely struggled to breathe at times - you can breathe but you have to alter the way you do it a bit and it's not nice.

Rang 111 who told me to ring my GP. Rang my GP who told me to ring 111. Shock horror.

Rang 111 again and these are your options:-

1 - Select if you have been in contact with anybody who is confirmed as having the virus, or have been to any of the affected countries in the last two weeks. That was a no x2.

2 - Select to receive information on Coronavirus.

3 - Select to speak to somebody for advice, but they cannot assess your symptoms.

I went for option 3, who told me to eventually ring option 2, so I did and received links to the gov website. Not really much use. It provides me with background information but nothing to do in terms of action taken.

So I went back through it and went for option 3 again, they asked for my symptoms again, then told me to ring my GP.

Eventually I realise I'm in a bit of a cycle.

Work eventually tell me on Friday (I'd had the whole week off) that if I feel OK (which I do now) to return on Monday. So I have done.

The problem here is I've got no way of proving if I've had it, no way of proving I've not had it, and work have let me back in anyway.

Even if I've not had it, there will 100% be people who have gone through pretty much that exact same pattern who do have the illness. I went to Norwich away on Friday 28th February - how would I know I've been in contact with somebody who has it or not?

Yet at the same time I do appreciate it's impossible to test everyone.

It's a bit of a shambles but what can you do? I think there's an argument to say I shouldn't be back in work yet but in truth I've felt fine since about last Thursday.

• Subscriber

Oh and as for being worried - I'm not actually worried regarding myself in the slightest. If I get it it's obviously shit but I think I can deal with it. It's passing it onto that who it could affect significantly that I'm worried about. For that reason I'm avoiding my Grandparents until April at the earliest.

22 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I'm full of conflict and anger about personal decisions, my governments decisions and my employers decisions which is why I am posting at 4am. Can't sleep.

Go out for a walk to take your mind off things and breathe that fresh air :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Azeem said:

Go out for a walk to take your mind off things and breathe that fresh air :ph34r:

I live in London. Even without the virus the air is far from fresh and the more time you spend outside the shorter your life span :ph34r:

Archived