• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-5 West Brom - Saturday 3rd April, 2021

football forum

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I saw the score as 1-2 h/t, made myself some nosh, watched a bit of tv then thought I would check the score and see Chelsea win something like 4-2...WRONG...nearly fell off my sofa when I saw 5-2 to the baggies, as someone said,  the honeymoon is over now for Tuchel and he knows now Chelsea are not a PSG in the making with players like Neymar and Mbappé running the game. :coffee:

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Joe Cole is the worst pundit by some distance. That's an incredible achievement. 

I'd give that reward to Micah diversity Richards.

I've been one of the first to slag off Jorginho in the last year or so but to be fair those mistakes from him today were very uncharacteristic as it's rare for him to be caught out in possession like that, the same with Kovacic.

Both of them are great on the eye in terms of technical ability, you can give them the ball in a corridor full of opponents, Jorginho will manage to retain possession somehow and Kovacic even will come out the other end with the ball at his feet. The problem with them both is that it's always more retention over anything else and nice touches here and there looks good for Twitter fans and Youtube but when you watch them week in week out, I always end up wondering what they're actually doing that's truly productive. They are great players under certain conditions but as I've said before we rely on them too heavily at times and over a season where conditions and circumstances change regularly. Jorginho probably would have played better consistently in England at City for example.

That said, however, I think the criticism of them today has been harsh and over the top, they've done relatively well under Tuchel so far and @Danny I just think today was a bit of a freak game, I think if Silva doesn't get sent off, we go on to win and it's crazy to say but apart from some top quality finishing, West Brom weren't all that. I think we were completely off the boil, combined with the fact that West Brom had a great day in terms of ruthlessness in front of goal.

Today was just a reminder that in terms of quality, we are still a way off from the Abramovich teams that would regularly go deep into the Champions League and would be further up in the table domestically as well. Back in the day of Cech, A.Cole, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, if that team were out there today, I would have been still very confident of winning the game even at 2-1 down with ten men. Rudiger, Kovacic, Jorginho, Christensen, Alonso, Azpilicueta and co, today aside, are well protected in that system and it hides and covers up their true levels and when it comes down it, we still lack that quality to do true damage in the league and cup competitions. Conte masked a lot when we won the league and I'm not saying that you can't be successful with these players but relying on them so much, will only get us so far.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

Catching up on the goals. Robinson's taken his first extremely well. Someone like Gundogan or Fernandes does that and it's raved about non-stop. 

Pereira's 2nd was quite calmly taken through several players as well.

I know they were a man down but the defending for the 4th was horrible. Not going to say anything judgmental on Chelsea because I'm well aware the same fate could be suffered by us in a couple of weeks time xD 

17 hours ago, God is Haaland said:

Nah it was like 90% Jorginho, mate.

I agree. Not starting one of Havertz and Tammy at ST with Werner at LF is my other issue. Other than that, the capitulation was on the players. 

In other news, Pulisic also pulled his hamstring again from simply doing a warmup sprint at half time. This is now the 2nd time that's happened this season and his 9th muscular injury since joining us. His contract is at 2 years the following summer, and I think depending on the circumstances, the club needs to make the decision to either sell him on or to continue to invest in him. It is the same pattern with him since he's joined. A couple weeks of good form. Boom. Injured. Out for 4-5 weeks. Then repeat. 

39 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

It's been pointed out on Twitter but the whole 'this is the Premier League' narrative during the commentary and analysis on Saturday really was pompous and cringeworthy.

1457262223170.jpg

>Oi! Say tha to me face u pansy rent boy! U think ur bettah than meeeee?! Fookin' continental managers and their tippy tappy fookin' passing.... To 'ell with the rest of the world mate

>Sing the national anthem and wear the poppy, 4-4-2, don’t fanny about at the back, knock it long, none of this tippy tappy shite, put it in the mixer those foreign lads don’t like it up them, score some fackin’ goals

>jus lump it yeah that's yer job m8 fackin johny forenars fackin poof footie swear it la

Archived