talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Next Manager Search Over - Nuno Santo Hired

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Going to be Nuno it finally sounds like which is an absolute joke and heads need to roll. The club is dead  

Palace fans would have been delighted, Everton fans would have probably been 50/50, Spurs fans are indicative of your viewpoint.

He may play the role of the 'guy before the guy' to get Spurs at least heading where they want to be, but it's a sad indictment of how the club have been ran in the last two years that its come to this.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Palace fans would have been delighted, Everton fans would have probably been 50/50, Spurs fans are indicative of your viewpoint.

He may play the role of the 'guy before the guy' to get Spurs at least heading where they want to be, but it's a sad indictment of how the club have been ran in the last two years that its come to this.

After Mourinho all I really care about is seeing some good progressive football again. I want to enjoy watching us play. Nuno does not bring that. It also means getting further into bed with mendes and that is not something I want for this club. It’s a pretty disastrous appointment particularly when you consider it could have been made over a month ago if he was the guy 

22 minutes ago, Rick said:

If I were Klinsman I’d be embarrassed by that shite. 

As someone from a league in which Klinsmann worked as a manager I'd like to tell you the only ones embarrassed by this should be the club suppossedly that desparate they'd even consider this car crash of a manager/coach.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Storts said:

It’s Nuno. And Mendes :(

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. Who knows, it might work, for now it's time to get behind the team. I'll be amazed if it does work though, and if/when things start to turn, the anger should be aimed firmly at the ownership, nowhere else.

• The title was changed to Tottenham Next Manager Search Over - Nuno Santo Hired

Why are people all of a sudden acting like Nuno is a terrible manager? He has done very well with Wolves. Last season was a drop off but he lost one of his best attackers in Jota, another attacking option in Doherty and obviously the injury to their main man Jimenez. Plus, Jonny was injured for a massive chunk of it, and he was huge for their attacking play. 

Yes, he is perhaps a bit more conservative than some of the names linked, but I think memories are short and most people are looking at his Wolves side of last season as the benchmark level for his tactics/performance. It’s very unfair, because when he had those players the season before, Wolves were very good going forward. 

45 minutes ago, Rick said:

Why are people all of a sudden acting like Nuno is a terrible manager? He has done very well with Wolves. Last season was a drop off but he lost one of his best attackers in Jota, another attacking option in Doherty and obviously the injury to their main man Jimenez. Plus, Jonny was injured for a massive chunk of it, and he was huge for their attacking play. 

Yes, he is perhaps a bit more conservative than some of the names linked, but I think memories are short and most people are looking at his Wolves side of last season as the benchmark level for his tactics/performance. It’s very unfair, because when he had those players the season before, Wolves were very good going forward. 

Honestly, I think there's a few legitimate concerns about Nuno being appointed if you're a Spurs fan - even if you disregard last season entirely.

For me, this would be my biggest one: when I think of Nuno's Wolves at their best, I think of them doing pretty well against the big clubs with some big performances from many players. But I also think of them sort of letting their standards slip a bit against some of the "lesser" sides they're probably thinking they should beat.

On the counterpoint, I think there's a lot of indications that Nuno is a pretty good manager and I think he did a very good job with Wolves on the whole... he was just a bit unlucky in that last season. I think he leaves behind big shoes to fill at Wolves, tbh. His style of football might not be the most appealing to fans, but if he can stop the rot that's set in at Spurs... I don't think his brand of football will be too much of a negative factor at the end of the day.

• Subscriber

People do seem to have put excessive weight on last season in assessing Nuno's time at Wolves. He did well for three seasons then when he lost Jota and Jimenez, surprise surprise they had a bad season.

There were a lot of articles and podcasts published on him when he was favourite for the Everton job. The thing that put me off the most was that last season, they ranked 20th in the league and in the bottom five in the top European leagues for a number of met metrics like pressing and winning possession high up the pitch, passes into the area, expected goals, stuff like that. To an extent you can put that down to a loss of important attacking players but it does raise questions as well about his tactics and the way he sets his teams up to play.

I don't think he'll be a terrible appointment, but I'd expect to see Spurs tread water over the next couple of years more than fly in either direction in the table.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Storts said:

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. Who knows, it might work, for now it's time to get behind the team. I'll be amazed if it does work though, and if/when things start to turn, the anger should be aimed firmly at the ownership, nowhere else.

@RandoEFC

Archived