talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New Years Eve

football forum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always just gone to my local on new years eve. Fuck paying to get in anywhere you wouldn't need to the rest of the year. Less likely to come across the once a year bellends as well. 

New years day was always better in the pub. Not done that for a while as we've tended to go to the missus' parents on new years day since I met her.

19 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I've always just gone to my local on new years eve. Fuck paying to get in anywhere you wouldn't need to the rest of the year. Less likely to come across the once a year bellends as well. 

New years day was always better in the pub. Not done that for a while as we've tended to go to the missus' parents on new years day since I met her.

Paying double to get in with taxi drivers ripping people off.

Nah. Haven’t done that for a fair few years and upon reflection don’t know why I used to? Last year I went into the city with a mate for a quiet drink but was home by 10-11pm. I’ll chill at home this year and try get some sleep in. 

• Administrator

Always stayed at home and celebrated with family or friends with house-parties. Much better fun and like @LFCMike said, not having to encounter bellends when out and about is for all the better.

Will be the same this year. 

• Subscriber

Staying in, maybe some wine and a wee tot of whisky to bring in the new year, make some phone calls or answering well wishers phoning up and that will be it.

Not the same now as all the uncles & aunts (family) have passed away so it wont be all meeting at the local miners club or British Legion for a good old piss up the Scottish way.

Will have a good drink on new year day at that's about it, not much whisky though with my health problems.

Was going to a house party at a mate's but that's been cancelled due to several people testing positive for covid recently. 

I'll probably just have a quiet one with the family, some drinks in the house. I'm more looking forward to meeting up with my girlfriend on new year's morning for a walk. Then we'll probably stay in and cook dinner and split a bottle of champagne.

• Subscriber

Going back to years gone by with the new year with us it's sad but nostalgic looking back on the build-up to Hogmanay here.

The wife would be on the phone just after Xmas time calling up all the family and asking where everybody was or going so we would know for our first footing, either visiting someone at home on new years day or what club would they be in on new years night.

We would normally end up in Dalkeith and meet up with the wife's big sis & brother-in-law and head off to the British Legion to see the new year in then pissed as a newt jump in a taxi and pop into the miners club to meet the rest of the family and friends and drink until the early hours.

No letting up the next day after a couple of hours kip and do some first footing with the rest of the family at their homes or local boozers, the normal tradition, the wife would have a lump of black coal to hand over for luck and we would make sure the first footers always had black hair as for luck, no black hair then someone would be pushed in first with black hair lol.

As I said before in the other post it's not the same nowadays with all the wife's family (uncles, aunts etc) passing away and no more piss ups with the family, I miss that. 

Old photo dragged out, one of my favourite wifes uncles, Alec, passed away 20 years ago, this was new years day after midnight (1986), I met him downtown when I was doing some shopping, he dragged me into the local boozer and 6 hours later I arrived home pissed as a newt and we carried on drinking into the new year, our daughter was only 8 years old then but they always seen the new year in with her big bruv after midnight with me and the wife.

thumbnail_20211229_102353.jpg

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Never been a big New Year person but usually went our favourite local and watched mates play a gig. Sadly the pub has changed hands, so heading down to a pub in Brixton this year to watch the same mates play there.

Why are you celebrating NYE with a load of Tories?

When I was younger I always remember NYE would be the best night of the year, all the family would have a big party. It was almost bigger than Christmas.

But yeah, I think it's become less of a big thing because as we've gotten older, and had a few deaths in the last couple of years, the nostalgia has become too upsetting. Maybe because it used to be something we enjoyed so much, it conversely becomes too hard to enjoy when things change. Especially when the "whole" family is gathered, and you're faced with the holes where somebody used to be.

That's why I prefer spending it with friends these days. 

On 29/12/2021 at 20:51, The Artful Dodger said:

Never been a big New Year person but usually went our favourite local and watched mates play a gig. Sadly the pub has changed hands, so heading down to a pub in Brixton this year to watch the same mates play there.

Get yourself some grub at Healthy Eaters beforehand, do some unbeatable patties 

Archived