talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lucas Digne - leaves Everton for Aston Villa

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

@RondónEFC I’m not going to bother quoting all that. I don’t know your club, and clearly I haven’t looked into the full workings. You laying it all out like that makes it pretty clear there are shortcomings in his management at your club. I went down a path I didn’t want to be on in this discussion, so I officially rescind my points 😂😂

No worries pal, just a shit time even compared relatively with the past decade.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

At what point will you lot accept that the manager is culpable for these results, at least in part? That's not even the meat of it either. We've had pretty bad patches in recent years (not quite this bad) but at least Koeman and Silva and Allardyce were just churning out bad results and performances. Benitez is being given licence to fall out with players, backroom staff and even board members left, right and centre and then being backed as the man who's going to make it worthwhile and sort it all out in the long run when there's even less evidence that he's capable of that than there was under previous managers.

This is spot on, the lengths the board have gone to to back Rafa is quite astounding considering your current position and performances.

• Subscriber

There's a really good anonymous in the know account on Everton Twitter at the moment called El Bobble. He was on a Twitter space last night explaining that Digne was upset when Ancelotti left, felt like he'd been sold some false promises after signing a lengthy contract extension during last season when Ancelotti was manager. Digne was also very close to Marcel Brands so wasn't happy when he left the club either. For all I've said on Benitez' part, which I stand by, perhaps Digne knew what he was doing a little bit when they exchanged words in training. Another little snippet was that the day before the Brighton game, Digne wasn't in the match squad, but then Benitez put him on the bench. A very strange move when there was no intention of him playing a part. All that happened as a result was Digne getting a massive ovation from the fans when he went out to warm up, which just made Benitez look bad and showed the world which side the fanbase is on.

As an aside, other snippets suggested that the British lads are largely the ones who have been getting their heads down and just getting on with it while the others have been sooner to ask questions when things started going south.

It's hard to know where to draw the line. I don't think it's out of order to ask the question if results aren't great and the manager is persisting with the same approach. Obviously what Digne did, answering back and exchanging cross words in front of the team is a disciplinary issue. You'd hope that the manager communicated his thinking better, or just had tactics that get better results, so that his players don't end up thinking they need to question the approach at all. 

Finally, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation, Rafa just can't help himself from trying to "win the argument" in the media. It doesn't exactly help our negotiating position when he's spending all of his time talking about how much Digne wants out and how much he wants rid of him. We know from the Barkley saga that Chelsea will take every inch they can get in the transfer market and they'll be very happy to run down the clock and get a cheaper fee if they decide to sign him, knowing that we need to get rid of him.

• Subscriber

Shows his desperation to get out of the club and confirms for anyone who doubted it that this is about the manager, not about leaving for European football.

In fairness, he's 28, it's not like we're close enough to winning a tournament or qualifying for Europe for losing him to make a decisive difference in achieving either of those things. We'll just have to move on. Hopefully Mykolenko turns out alright, he's younger so this might turn out to be a decent swap in the long run. Might.

Really good signing for Aston Villa and I imagine he'll do well if Gerrard plays any type of football that enables his full backs to attack.

However I try to spin it though, I remain severely concerned about how the manager is managing the squad and being allowed to control the club.

7 minutes ago, Devil said:

I'm sure I seen a chart of what Premier league clubs could spend to stay within FFP and Villa only had about 5 million for this window.

How every Premier League club can spend in January within FFP rules

• Everton - -£35
  • Aston Villa - £5m
  • Southampton - £37m
  • Watford - £60m
  • Crystal Palace - £66m
  • Wolves - £70m
  • West Ham - £71m
  • Leicester City - £79m
  • Man City - £84m
  • Brighton - £85m
  • Brentford - £88m
  • Norwich City - £92m
  • Leeds - £99m
  • Newcastle - £166m
  • Burnley - £171m
  • Arsenal - £201m
  • Chelsea - £241m
  • Man Utd - £243m
  • Liverpool - £273m
  • Tottenham - £400m

24 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

• Everton - -£35
  • Aston Villa - £5m
  • Southampton - £37m
  • Watford - £60m
  • Crystal Palace - £66m
  • Wolves - £70m
  • West Ham - £71m
  • Leicester City - £79m
  • Man City - £84m
  • Brighton - £85m
  • Brentford - £88m
  • Norwich City - £92m
  • Leeds - £99m
  • Newcastle - £166m
  • Burnley - £171m
  • Arsenal - £201m
  • Chelsea - £241m
  • Man Utd - £243m
  • Liverpool - £273m
  • Tottenham - £400m

I must say if that's accurate given our recruitment this summer and the wealth of our investors thats fantastic to see.

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I must say if that's accurate given our recruitment this summer and the wealth of our investors thats fantastic to see.

I checked two sources and the figures came back the same from both so is probably fairly accurate... 

I know Everton have signed a left back now but I’m surprised they haven’t at any point gone for Rico Henry. Everton have had a good history of signing players from lower leagues/less good leagues and then making the step up.

A young, talented wing back that would give some of his best years over a 4/5 year contract.

In fairness they have signed that with Mykolenko and I’m glad Henry has stayed with us but when we were in the Championship I’d always thought if Henry got poached it’s be Everton.

41 minutes ago, Danny said:

I know Everton have signed a left back now but I’m surprised they haven’t at any point gone for Rico Henry. Everton have had a good history of signing players from lower leagues/less good leagues and then making the step up.

A young, talented wing back that would give some of his best years over a 4/5 year contract.

In fairness they have signed that with Mykolenko and I’m glad Henry has stayed with us but when we were in the Championship I’d always thought if Henry got poached it’s be Everton.

They did, I think that time has gone.

They've wasted some money recently.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

• Everton - -£35
  • Aston Villa - £5m
  • Southampton - £37m
  • Watford - £60m
  • Crystal Palace - £66m
  • Wolves - £70m
  • West Ham - £71m
  • Leicester City - £79m
  • Man City - £84m
  • Brighton - £85m
  • Brentford - £88m
  • Norwich City - £92m
  • Leeds - £99m
  • Newcastle - £166m
  • Burnley - £171m
  • Arsenal - £201m
  • Chelsea - £241m
  • Man Utd - £243m
  • Liverpool - £273m
  • Tottenham - £400m

Levy out

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Because football clubs use amortisation for transfer accounting and that changes everything.

Mind you, Man City have probably been doing the same for years given the obscene amounts they spend. And most other big clubs. 

I think I may just be annoyed that we may have had a realistic shot at signing him and don't want Villa to strengthen xD

2 hours ago, Stan said:

How can Villa afford Digne and Coutinho if that was their limit? 

Do they pay a loan fee for Coutinho?

I'm assuming those values are more to do with transfer fees than wages - and as @Cicero says, clubs use amortisation to get around having to have apply the full transfer fee for the season the player was signed.

I'd thought with Barca, they didn't have to pay a fee - they just had to pay 100% of Coutinho's wages. And a hold up in the negotiations was Villa was only willing to pay 70% of his wages - which was resolved when Coutinho agreed to sign a new contract with Barca (for the length of his remaining contract) that reduced his wages to 70% of what they were - meaning Villa would be able to cover 100% of his wages.

So with no fee, they can spend up to £5m... and use amoritsation to spread the amount they pay to be £5m or less this season.

Also lol at Everton only being able to spend £35 xD. Tottenham's is shocking as well - with us you can at least say sure FSG are cheap in that they don't want to invest in new signings, but they've been focused on keeping the core of this LFC side locked down. With Tottenahm, they've got an actual fucking warchest to spend and they've needed reinforcements to their squad since that season they made it to the CL (and their league form in their CL run definitely proves that).

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Also lol at Everton only being able to spend £35 

I think the £35 is supposed to be £35m but is also negative so less than £35. I don't know what the FFP rules are to be honest but I've heard it's a European ban and we're already inflicting one of those on ourselves for the foreseeable future so may as well go crazy right? 🤷‍♂️

I think to the general discussion about transfer fees, there's so much installment and bonuses and agent's cuts type bullshit that even when they release a number instead of calling it "undisclosed", the accounting is so complex that it's hard for the lay fan to really have any sort of accurate idea what the state of any club's books are.

25 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

I think the £35 is supposed to be £35m but is also negative so less than £35. I don't know what the FFP rules are to be honest but I've heard it's a European ban and we're already inflicting one of those on ourselves for the foreseeable future so may as well go crazy right? 🤷‍♂️

I think to the general discussion about transfer fees, there's so much installment and bonuses and agent's cuts type bullshit that even when they release a number instead of calling it "undisclosed", the accounting is so complex that it's hard for the lay fan to really have any sort of accurate idea what the state of any club's books are.

I thought so too... but those look to be in descending   ascending order... so unless that's a mistake, I think it actually might be £35

• The title was changed to Lucas Digne - leaves Everton for Aston Villa

Archived