talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Possession By Zone - Premier League Teams 2021/2022

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ours is pretty much expected with Lukaku up front. Little involvement in build up in a system where for it to be successful, all three attackers need to be involved on and off the ball. Another indicator that clubs continue to constantly attack our left side with Alonso there. 

City just taking the piss. 

• Administrator

Considering we have a lot of 'red' in central parts of our own half, it's really fucking bad how many goals we've conceded. 

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

If you looked at that graphic and didn't know anything about the league would you be able to ascertain who the top three teams were? I think its pretty clear. 

100%. Man City and Liverpool utterly dominant in every single department of the pitch. Arsenal, Brighton and Leeds not too bad either.

Burnley not controlling all of their own box despite being a defensive side makes me think there's something wrong with the analysis. They can't be that shit. Surprised to see that's the case with West Ham as well.

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

My favorite most telling one is actually Liverpool. Teams attack them down TAAs side because he's never home. 

That's because he's too busy being the leagues most creative player with the most assists in the division.

Again people never learn, they find it so hard to understand. Sky show Trent as a RB on the pre-game team sheet but he's simply not a RB. He plays much further forward, constantly supporting the forwards from either a wide position or more recently even centrally. 

He basically has a free role whilst specific midfielders (depending on who's playing) cover the RB position when we are in possession (which is most of the time).

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I like the Leeds one too. Wing-play all the way.

Yeah, that's a staple of ours and sums up our season in some ways that despite injuries, we can still create chances in these areas but with no Bamford or designated forward, we can't finish them. 

The other one is how dominant Brighton can be and I think quite a few have mentuoned on here how much they have impressed as opposition this season.

15 hours ago, 6666 said:

Burnley not controlling all of their own box despite being a defensive side makes me think there's something wrong with the analysis. They can't be that shit. Surprised to see that's the case with West Ham as well.

From what I have seen in the highlights this season they're not the same defensive unit as before. In previous seasons Nick Pope was an FPL must own because teams would end up shooting from far out because of how structured they were giving him frequent but easy saves to make. This season and the second half of last season that hasn't been the case.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, that's a staple of ours and sums up our season in some ways that despite injuries, we can still create chances in these areas but with no Bamford or designated forward, we can't finish them

The other one is how dominant Brighton can be and I think quite a few have mentuoned on here how much they have impressed as opposition this season.

This is a rather odd thing considering you want wingers to put in crosses and if they aren't we'd have seen some form of red in the middle of the pitch as well. Idk if that means Leeds are playing a wing system without any middle ground product or if that means that there is so little in terms of retention in the middle of the pitch that it hasn't shown up as a statistic here.

20 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This is a rather odd thing considering you want wingers to put in crosses and if they aren't we'd have seen some form of red in the middle of the pitch as well. Idk if that means Leeds are playing a wing system without any middle ground product or if that means that there is so little in terms of retention in the middle of the pitch that it hasn't shown up as a statistic here.

Well against Newcastle, we swarmed them first half. Got in behind their defence on each flank and fizzed balls in, got to the byline and pulled balls back plenty of times, but we had no striker.

Dan James played as a makeshift one and its not his game to patrol the 6 yard box so no one was getting in the box to finish, the build up play was there.

We always look to attack on the sides with Raphinha and Harrison, and the wing backs like Ayling and Firpo overlapping but the lack of threat centrally is why goals have dried up.

Also, the lack of central threat in the attacking third can be contributed to how many games Phillips has missed this season. When he plays, our possession is much higher and allows us to push further forward up the pitch dictating things in the final third.

I'd love to see a comparison actually between last season and this season when we had few injuries to the players most important to us.

Archived