talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

That's not really how it works at Liverpool though is it. I think there's an argument that Klopp has just decided not to go down the road Rodgers did with Balotelli in such an important position. He couldn't get his man so he's not accepting the dross that's been put to him after VVD failed. He wouldn't win either way though.

I very much doubt that Klopp has put forward Robertson cos he was desperate to sign him, he's been offered him and accepted. This ties in with a couple of things I've read about what happened during the summer, as does the CB situation. Also explains why he's not getting a look in ahead of a fella who looked to be on his way out

It's a terrible argument. What harm did Balotelli do? Okay, he was shit, didn't score many goals, and was generally a bit of a waste of space on the pitch, but he didn't actually do any harm, did he. If there was a Balotelli type character out there who could sort of play centre back, I'd have him in a heartbeat, because currently we're stuck with four centre backs, two of whom are prone to injury, two of whom are shit, and one of whom is 20 years old and also currently our first choice right back. It's absolutely inexcusable, mate. Heads need to roll.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

If it was more than a systematic problem then surely the likes of Lovren would be onto pastures new at clubs that match their ability by now?

They're simply on too much money, mate. No one's going to sign a player whose wages are so far out of sync with his ability. It's by no means just Lovren that's vastly overpaid at Liverpool, but he's on £100k a week. I don't think the clubs on his level can afford to pay any of their players that much, let alone a player who demonstrably isn't worth it.

If Klopp does decide to be ruthless with Lovren you probably would need a situation where the club tops-up his wages whilst he's on loan or signed for another club. 

And I also don't think the Balotelli argument is entirely transferable: it was seen as a long shot and everybody knew it probably wouldn't work. With Van Dijk, people knew he was the ideal choice, but some other imaginable targets like De Vrij were obviously quality players with a long record of solid performances. 

It's not like it was a choice between Van Dijk or a wild punt. 

Edited by Inverted

48 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It's a terrible argument. What harm did Balotelli do? Okay, he was shit, didn't score many goals, and was generally a bit of a waste of space on the pitch, but he didn't actually do any harm, did he. If there was a Balotelli type character out there who could sort of play centre back, I'd have him in a heartbeat, because currently we're stuck with four centre backs, two of whom are prone to injury, two of whom are shit, and one of whom is 20 years old and also currently our first choice right back. It's absolutely inexcusable, mate. Heads need to roll.

It's not though is it. Surely you only look to replace someone if you're going to improve on them? Say the options presented to the manager after Van Dijk are similar in quality to what we already have, what's the point? 

It isn't good enough and heads do need to roll but is it just the manager or everyone involved that needs to take the flak? You'd think it was just the manager who was involved in the whole process listening to some!

I think for years the transfer committee has been criticised. And this summer I think I called for Michael Edwards getting sacked because he and Klopp arranging a person to player meeting with VvD killed that move.

But the failure to address key areas is a huge failing and people need to be held accountable.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

It's not though is it. Surely you only look to replace someone if you're going to improve on them? Say the options presented to the manager after Van Dijk are similar in quality to what we already have, what's the point? 

It isn't good enough and heads do need to roll but is it just the manager or everyone involved that needs to take the flak? You'd think it was just the manager who was involved in the whole process listening to some!

First of all, if our people couldn't find anyone better than what we have other than VVD, they need to be sectioned immediately because I can only assume they're severely retarded.

Second of all, depth and competition.

15 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Keita has picked up his third red card in about a month tonight. Is he gonna be another brain dead cunt?

With our luck, probably.

Balotelli says he'll never play for us again because our board is dysfunctional. Lad, the only reason you ever played for us is because our board is dysfunctional!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 23/10/2017 at 11:50 PM, LFCMadLad said:

And this season is the worst goals conceded after 9 games since 1964. What’s your point? 

My point is that we haven’t improved defensively under Klopp at all in fact we are getting worse the longer he’s been here. 

I luv the guy, he’s a great coach attacking wise and a great man manager but come on, defensively he looks absolutely lost. 

I think he got away with it in Germany. Where as the premier league is more competitive and faster and he has been exposed. I've always been baffled why these top coaches who clearly know more about football than me and you don't see these things and make changes

17 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Dejan Lovren's been voted our player of the month. I really fucking loathe Liverpool fans sometimes.

But it ends up being a great PR exercise. Look at the headlines.  'Lfc fans show Class.'

I mean,  at least these pointless award served one good purpose, cause very few people take these clubs awards seriously. 

Sick of Henderson being our captain. Compared to Gerrard, he's a fucking joke of a captain. Does nothing to affect games, pulls out a decent pass every ten games but piss all else. Should be a squad player and nothing more. 

52 minutes ago, FOYM said:

Sick of Henderson being our captain. Compared to Gerrard, he's a fucking joke of a captain. Does nothing to affect games, pulls out a decent pass every ten games but piss all else. Should be a squad player and nothing more. 

Henderson is a joke full stop. I really can not stand him.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think he got away with it in Germany. Where as the premier league is more competitive and faster and he has been exposed. I've always been baffled why these top coaches who clearly know more about football than me and you don't see these things and make changes

Or, you know, his BVB team were just a lot better than this Liverpool side are.  His tactics seemed to work pretty well with Goetze and Kagawa at their peaks feeding Robert Lewandowski, Gundogan or Sahin building play instead of Henderson, real ball-winners like Bender and Kehl, and world-class defenders like Hummels and Piszczek. 

I still think the biggest issue is his approach to recruitment - not his tactics, though they have been suspect at times. Admitting that he's not going to be able to build another world-class team without major signings would be a much more significant change than him changing his playing approach.  

He didn't "get away" with anything - he just achieved something rare and incredible. But acquiring and developing as many unbelievable talents as Dortmund did in a couple of years at so little cost is a once-in-a-career kind of achievement - lightning isn't going to strike twice and suddenly reveal the hidden magic of players like Lovren and Henderson, as much as he seems to believe that it will. Its like Ferguson bringing through the class of 92 - you can't take away credit for it just because it was impossible to repeat. 

Edited by Inverted

6 hours ago, Inverted said:

Or, you know, his BVB team were just a lot better than this Liverpool side are.  His tactics seemed to work pretty well with Goetze and Kagawa at their peaks feeding Robert Lewandowski, Gundogan or Sahin building play instead of Henderson, real ball-winners like Bender and Kehl, and world-class defenders like Hummels and Piszczek. 

I still think the biggest issue is his approach to recruitment - not his tactics, though they have been suspect at times. Admitting that he's not going to be able to build another world-class team without major signings would be a much more significant change than him changing his playing approach.  

He didn't "get away" with anything - he just achieved something rare and incredible. But acquiring and developing as many unbelievable talents as Dortmund did in a couple of years at so little cost is a once-in-a-career kind of achievement - lightning isn't going to strike twice and suddenly reveal the hidden magic of players like Lovren and Henderson, as much as he seems to believe that it will. Its like Ferguson bringing through the class of 92 - you can't take away credit for it just because it was impossible to repeat. 

Yea his dortmund were better deffinitily. And thats another reason why he got away with bad defensive tactic.

Some good news is that Mane is back in training and Klop says there is a small chance he features tomorrow. Excellent news having him back, and hopefully Lallana isnt too far behind. We really need his energy in the midfield.

• Upvote 1