talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 16 - 9-10th December, 2023

football forum

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think FSG sacked Hodgson before we played United for the same reason.

Tbf though Hodgson was doing a much worse job than Ten Hag. But he also didn’t have the money Ten Hag’s had to spend.

man United don't want Liverpool to have the honour of sacking their manager

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Done it before with Mourinho though I’m pretty sure 

He got sacked on my 40th. Can the current manager get sacked on my birthday a week on Monday after the Liverpool game? Mourinho also got sacked after a defeat to Liverpool 🤣

Arsenal perhaps looking more dangerous the longer it went on. Personally, I would like to see Cash & Moreno, for fresh legs & perhaps better suited to pacy wingers. Also, for Villa to do something creative & more realistic with corners. We don't have the players to just try lumping balls into everyone in the 6 yard box.

• Administrator

Given Mateta was given a penalty (rightly so) earlier against Liverpool, that should have been a penalty too. Douglas Luiz kicked the back of Jesus' calf with Jesus getting to the ball first.

• Subscriber

Think Arsenal may have been slightly unlucky with that disallowed goal. Quite difficult to see from the replays whether or not it touched Havertz hand and looked as though Cash could quite easily have handled it just as much.

Fair play to Villa again though.

Perhaps understandably felt more open & with tired legs on both sides. Arsenals defence had plenty of the ball, in the 2nd half, but they just couldn't quite break through. Odegaard with the worst miss.

I thought a couple of good decisions from the ref. The penalty shout seemed 2 players swinging a leg for a loose ball. And for the disallowed goal Havertz was playing volleyball on my TV..

Still don't know if it should've been a goal or not. I'll say yes...

Fairplay to Villa though. They're a well drilled team. After scoring early, they had to play a totally different game to the one against Man City and still did well.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Think Arsenal may have been slightly unlucky with that disallowed goal. Quite difficult to see from the replays whether or not it touched Havertz hand and looked as though Cash could quite easily have handled it just as much.

Fair play to Villa again though.

Think it's rightly disallowed. There's one angle which shows it hit Havertz' hand.

52 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Great result, leggy at the end but we got it done. Brentford away will be tough though 

Yes. Depends on what teams below & maybe above do. But draws at Wolves & Bournemouth. The loss at Forest. The really successful sides find ways for it to have been 2 wins & 1 draw. How the title points bar keeps getting close to 100 in so many recent seasons.

It is still that kind of thing could make a difference to where Villa finish this season.

But maybe not a bad run for the rest of December. Avoid defeat to Zrinjski to advance to UECL last 16. Brentford (a), Sheff United (h), Man United (a) & Burnley (h)

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is this spell of good form from Maguire the best he’s been as a United player? @DeadLinesman @MUFC @Devil @Fusion @Redcanuck?

I think his first year with United was his best.  United had a good season in 2019-20 finishing third and Maquire played every single minute of every game that year.  Club captain and he played well enough to make it look like £80m wasn't that much of an over payment.  Then came the brawl in Greece with the cops and he hasn't been right since..   He has played better this season but he's 30 now and he's just too slow for the Premier now.

• Upvote 1

It's an absolute mess isn't it. The manager has alienated himself from the squad by being too strict. The men supposed to be advising ETH on his transfers are a total disgrace, they shouldnt have sanctioned the signings of so many of these players. The players themselves are clearly sub standard for a club of our side.

To sum it up our major spending this summer has been a goalkeeper weaker than the already struggling keeper. A Chelsea reject who wasn't needed as we have players in his position already and a couple of players from the Lower end of Serie A teams Atalanta and Fiorentina.

To be blunt its a complete fiasco. The moneys been there for ETH, we can slag the Glazers all we want but they've back him and he's actually taken the side and made it worse than it was before!!!

Edited by Devil

We were so unlucky and unfortunate. I wasn't expecting much after the Bournemouth debacle but we set up very well and got the reaction we wanted.

I think it helped that Liverpool were just as bad as we were good. For a title contender to not have a shot on target when we had 11 on the field is some going. Without Andy Madley's baffling refereeing performance we would have beaten them.

I don't remember Roy being as angry at a referee's performance ever. The flurry of yellow cards made the game an absolute farce. Nobody in the ground thought Ayew should have had two yellow cards other than the referee, with the second one particular being so soft.

Psychology clearly comes in to play for these referees when you play these big clubs. Elite clubs make an art form out those cynical fouls and don't get the same amount of cards. For both teams to make seventeen fouls and for us to have seven yellows as opposed to there one tells you all you need to know.

• The topic was unpinned