talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 18 - 21-24th December, 2023

football forum

14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't fancy us today. Fatigue and injuries starting to take their toll on the squad, along with a bit of deflation from the cup exit. I'd have given us a chance at Spurs a couple of weeks ago but we're probably coming out of what will be one of our best runs of the season into a bit of a dip and Spurs have just had their dip and are starting to recapture their form.

In fairness you did sit off them second half and produced very little, I get how that could rile a fanbase up. But with that said I did think if Brighton got going they’d score 2 or 3 past you so the fact it only ended 1-1 is pretty good for you. And like you said, it took an absolute worldy of a header from Welbeck to do that.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Danny said:

In fairness you did sit off them second half and produced very little, I get how that could rile a fanbase up. But with that said I did think if Brighton got going they’d score 2 or 3 past you so the fact it only ended 1-1 is pretty good for you. And like you said, it took an absolute worldy of a header from Welbeck to do that.

Think you hit the wrong quote button xD .

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Think you hit the wrong quote button xD .

Was very impressed by Everton yesterday. Dyche has got those boys organised, but also playing some good football, nice movement and lots of intent and aggression. 

We were fortunate to come away with a win I think. Draw probably would have been a fair result. But we’ve played a lot better this season and lost so we were due One. But you’ve got no bother as play like that against most of the league and you’ll be a top half team. I know what you mean about the top end of the pitch though, still lacking a bit of quality but think it will come. Danjuma was very good I thought when he came on, although wasteful, but caused us so many problems with his directness.

Good for us to get the win still missing so many players. Second half had 3 of our back 4 missing. No Bissouma,  no Bentancur, no Maddison. Bare bones for us but wins are all that matter 

Vicario is absolutely sensational. Neck and neck with Allisson for best keeper in the league this season 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

That 2nd yellow for Willy Boly was a joke xD

Gets the ball, gets his ankle trodden on in the process, and gets booked for it. 

And how Liverpool didn't get a penalty for the Odegaard handball is beyond me. Almost bends down to pick the ball up. 

I'm trying to tell myself that the problem must just seem worse because people are paying much more attention than before.

But it really feels like there is consistently at least one - if not multiple - enormous, incomprehensible howler of a decision every week these days.

• Subscriber

The Odegaard one should have been a penalty. I can see why they might have convinced themselves it was accidental but that's never stopped them giving penalties for handball in the past.

The Boly red card was an absolute disgrace of a decision.

We should have won with the Trent chance, but then again we should have had a penalty for that fucking handball. Absolutely fed up to the back teeth of these refs, useless bastards the lot of them. 

A point is alright, I was a bit concerned that Arsenal were gonna hit us with a quick second but they soon reverted back to their usual ‘shit the bed’ attitude and we were the better team. If we lose the title to those jokers, we’ll have missed a trick. 

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

We should have won with the Trent chance, but then again we should have had a penalty for that fucking handball. Absolutely fed up to the back teeth of these refs, useless bastards the lot of them. 

A point is alright, I was a bit concerned that Arsenal were gonna hit us with a quick second but they soon reverted back to their usual ‘shit the bed’ attitude and we were the better team. If we lose the title to those jokers, we’ll have missed a trick. 

They're a really good side, certainly not 'jokers'. Still not sure why a lot of pundits are insistent that Arsenal are challengers and Liverpool are not though. I think both sides are pretty equal in terms of strongest outfield players. There's obviously question marks over the Arsenal keeper. Liverpool still have Roberson and Jota to come back in as well in the new year.

At the moment I think Arsenal’s team overall is more balanced than Liverpool’s and that goes in their favour, but I also think that Liverpool have at least 4 truly world class players in Salah, Trent, Van Dijk & Allison whilst Arsenal have a group of players that want to get to that level but so far aren’t quite there yet. I had Liverpool winning the league over them this season and I’d probably still stick with that, but all could change in January depending on who Arsenal bring in up front. But also the same applies for Liverpool and a defensive midfielder, or a centre back to play in a back 3.

I don’t think the Odegaard handball claim was one, thought he was falling over and it is natural that his arm would fall down like that. I think its harsh to give that tbh, looking at the handball laws I don’t see anything that would back that up us a handball for me.

I thought the game was close, Arsenal dominated early on and then Liverpool took more control later. Also thought Arsenal attacked Anfield very well, to come out of the blocks and just go for it after last season is a big step up in mentality for them. Trent should have scored the counter but ultimately it’s a close game and I don’t think either side could be that disappointed with that result.

Ultimately I still think City are likely to run away with it when everyones back fully fit.

Edited by Danny

On Arsenal vs Liverpool, if it does develop that way for the title. It is close for me. I've lost count how often Salah gets the vital goal in the big moments. The other Liverpool forwards not at his level, but many of them could perhaps improve Arsenal, either starting or from the bench. While Rice seems the player Liverpool could just be lacking. But no side is really emerging as a clear & obvious favourite. Including Man City. 

7 hours ago, Rick said:

Don't know why you're so rattled. We should've had a penalty for Havertz being pushed over in the box late on. Bad penalty decisions evened out.

Main reason you didn't win was because TAA shit the bed with his finishing. Other than that, you really didn't trouble Raya that much. It was even.

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Don't know why you're so rattled. We should've had a penalty for Havertz being pushed over in the box late on. Bad penalty decisions evened out.

Main reason you didn't win was because TAA shit the bed with his finishing. Other than that, you really didn't trouble Raya that much. It was even.

The Havertz one was never a pen xD

• Upvote 1

• The topic was unpinned