talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 23 - 3-5th February, 2024

• Subscriber

I think if you don't see teams letting their emotions come out after a game it does tend to be a bit weird. It's their home ground, they just beat us and while I am gutted, I don't think anyone could begrudge them celebrating any way they choose to. Arteta running up and down is just him being pleased with his team executing the plan he had in mind and it working out. They are just two points off the top now and there's a lot more football to be played so anything could happen, but it's their moment let them enjoy it. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

don't think anyone could begrudge them celebrating any way they choose to. Arteta running up and down is just him being pleased with his team executing the plan he had in mind and it working out.

Arteta the next Special One ?   :banana:xD

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I got to be honest here, who really cares about how they celebrated? 

Football is about emotions and passion. We are all human. They can celebrate a win any way they like. Some games will naturally always mean more than others.

They just beat one of the most in form teams in Europe in a must win game for their season, in front of their fans and it comes a few weeks back from when the same team done them on their turf in the Cup and got to laud it.

They've every right to celebrate however they choose as long as they can stomach and accept it back at them when they are turned over.

I just don't get why that card needs to be played. 

They celebrate like this often. They’ve not achieved anything, and are far too emotional to do so if you ask me. 

Seems to me like a blank minded Neville needing to say something... anything.. before Micah Richards sings about cars.

Every club, manager, player & fan celebrates most goals & every win.

Although Klopp wanted more Anfield noise not too long ago.

Arsenal have just got convincing revenge on the club that knocked them out the FA Cup & are now only 2 points, not 8, ahead of them.

Maybe Liverpool shouldn't have celebrated the equaliser like they were going to get a result? Complete arrogance after playing so poorly and lucking into an own goal. It's the reason they lost the game.

Or maybe footballers, managers, the coaching staff, and the fans just celebrate when things go right for them and that's just normal?

Its probably the pundits that need to tone it down a bit. Having watched a few months of Sky Sports, I feel Sky should get rid of, or dramatically reduce the way Neville & Carragher are used. Spend whatever it takes to get Ally McCoist on board as the main co-commentator & analyst for the title race type matches. He's easily the best at co-commentating. His enthusiasm & impartiality always noticeable. Most Sky Sports analysis bits I have watched over the last few months has often sounded like overly partisan fan banter. Maybe it's what they're aiming for. But I'm not sure it's especially healthy. Or wise.

Edited by Reluctant Striker
  • Upvote 2

Who the fuck cares how players celebrate a win? Arsenal played well and won, and are now back in the mix of a title race. Emotions are allowed to run high under the circumstances.

People giving a shit about it is weird.

45 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Its probably the pundits that need to tone it down a bit. Having watched a few months of Sky Sports, I feel Sky should get rid of, or dramatically reduce the way Neville & Carragher are used. Spend whatever it takes to get Ally McCoist on board as the main co-commentator & analyst for the title race type matches. He's easily the best at co-commentating. His enthusiasm & impartiality always noticeable. Most Sky Sports analysis bits I have watched over the last few months has often sounded like overly partisan fan banter. Maybe it's what they're aiming for. But I'm not sure it's especially healthy. Or wise.

It’s absolutely what they’re aiming for, that sort of overly partisan shit makes them lots of money I’m pretty sure. If you go on social media and look around at popular premier league fan accounts it’s mostly partisan fan banter & accounts like footballtroll etc.

What the media’s done to politics and news, made it like hyper partisan team sports, wasn’t just for fun. It’s the sort of shit that made the news more profitable. And look what they’ve done to English football coverage for decades. What happens on the pitch is made into pantomime by Sky & co. 

4 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

McCoist is easily the best around. I happily listen to the commentary when he is on. 

Probably was a tad unfair last night when it comes to the celebration comments. Had a few and I was still pissed off at how shite we were. We deserved fuck all from the game and Arsenal played well. Still stand by them being overly emotional, which absolutely stems from the manager being an absolute bellend. He was acting like this in the charity shield at the start of the season ffs. 

• Subscriber

I'd like to know what was going through the players mind last night when they got out on the pitch. You could excuse a loss if they looked like they were in the game but from the first minute the passing was lazy, the defense just let them have all the wing space they want, and it wasn't till they went a goal down that they sort of woke up. And even then, it wasn't anything to trouble Arsenal. Mind you this coming off a very good run of form and I don't think you can say it was due to missing players. Even if the opposition finds a way to press you hard there was no excuse for the work rate on show. 

Don’t think Gravenberch is good enough to start games like that for us. Other than when he first arrived, he hasn’t looked very good at all. Gives the ball away, has a bad first touch, rubbish defensively…he’s having a bad time of it. Didn’t have much choice in starting him yesterday, but he has to earn his way back into that starting 11 with some impactful substitute appearances. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Don’t think Gravenberch is good enough to start games like that for us. Other than when he first arrived, he hasn’t looked very good at all. Gives the ball away, has a bad first touch, rubbish defensively…he’s having a bad time of it. Didn’t have much choice in starting him yesterday, but he has to earn his way back into that starting 11 with some impactful substitute appearances. 

I think once Endo is back and Dom gets over whatever it is that kept him out yesterday, we'll see less or Gravenberch and Elliot as starters which will help as the season goes on. We lacked an enforcement presence in midfield and they had Rice who was doing a lot of the dirty work with ball recovery. 

To be fair to Arsenal. City and Liverpool are teams which have been tonking them for years. Beating them both this season can be a huge turning point. I can kind of understand why they celebrated like they did.

• Subscriber

I honestly didn't think anything of Arsenal's celebrations. It's a big game and a bigger game for them than it was for Liverpool because a loss or even a draw probably ended their title hopes for the season.

Gary Neville gave them some criticism last season which I thought was valid when they were doing group huddles after what should have been routine wins. You might do that with 2-3 games remaining but Arsenal were doing it against Southampton at home in March or April, for example. That heightened level of adrenaline and treating a handful of games as cup finals can be helpful over a run of maybe 3-4 games but not 10-12 because you'll just burn out and that's what Arsenal did in the run-in last season.

Last night wasn't that, though. I thought it was justified. People are calling Arsenal's celebrations embarrassing and seem to have some massive issue with the whole photographer thing. Apparently the club photographer is retiring this season and so the players took a moment to make what will be a lifetime memory for him when the stadium was rocking. Fair play to them. I don't think it's even comment-worthy really and if it is then it's a positive, not a negative. I'm afraid if you've got a problem with that then the only person that should be embarrassed is you.

Also, if I happened to be a high-profile Sky Sports commentator who used to play for Liverpool and who screeches "look at the passion from Jurgen Klopp" or praises the togetherness of Liverpool as a club when their manager runs on the pitch to celebrate a winning goal or gives it all the fist-pumps to the Kop after beating Nottingham Forest 2-0 at home, then I wouldn't be on social media knocking managers or fans of other teams for celebrating a win like Arsenal did yesterday, but that's just me.

In general, you can poke fun at other fanbases for celebrating a draw or treating a derby like a cup final, then I think that's fine, it's part of the banter of football and rivalries. Don't go around telling people their joy is embarrassing though and grumbling about how much celebrating is too much. The positive emotions that are supposed to come with football are getting ruined enough by VAR, ticket prices, state ownership, etc. Let people be happy for 5 minutes ffs.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Also, if I happened to be a high-profile Sky Sports commentator who used to play for Liverpool and who screeches "look at the passion from Jurgen Klopp" or praises the togetherness of Liverpool as a club when their manager runs on the pitch to celebrate a winning goal or gives it all the fist-pumps to the Kop after beating Nottingham Forest 2-0 at home, then I wouldn't be on social media knocking managers or fans of other teams for celebrating a win like Arsenal did yesterday, but that's just me.

In general, you can poke fun at other fanbases for celebrating a draw or treating a derby like a cup final, then I think that's fine, it's part of the banter of football and rivalries. Don't go around telling people their joy is embarrassing though and grumbling about how much celebrating is too much. The positive emotions that are supposed to come with football are getting ruined enough by VAR, ticket prices, state ownership, etc. Let people be happy for 5 minutes ffs.

PREACH.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't mind managers and/or showing passion, emotion, joy, excitement, happiness after a win. It's what the game is all about. That emotion is raw and should never be replaced or eradicated.

What I find weird/odd is the huge double standards on show. No doubt all of us would have gone batshit mental or been part of 'limbs' in a stadium when we've bagged an equaliser or a winner in a game that, in the grand scheme of things, probably doesn't matter because of the level of opposition or meaningfulness of the game in the season. Why should that be taken away from a manager or players who are living that moment on the pitch, after all the effort they've put in? The intensity of the game yesterday is increased because of what it means in the title race, but also because there's a historic competitiveness between the two teams. I don't get why the celebrations should have been muted or why anyone should have been so reserved. It just means a fucking shit load to everyone involved.

The only funny thing is that even though they went hard on the celebrations yesterday, they'll still finish 3rd :ph34r:

Oh and I draw the line at celebratory dressing room selfies though like they did in 2016 and consequently missed out on the title anyway...

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Alonso’s been linked with Madrid and us, two clubs he’s got legendary status at and that are ready to compete for honours as soon as he steps into a role - I don’t think he’d give Newcastle serious consideration.

I don't expect it be the case but if you don't try you don't know

22 hours ago, Stan said:

4-1 Wolves. 

Not saying he's the root of all problems, but how on earth is Chilwell Chelsea's captain?! @Cicero

Why is Gallagher 3rd captain? Why is Reece James who averages only 3 matches before injury since 2021 our primary captain? I understand the sense of identity and building a foundation around an English core, but when these players are either bang average or not fit half the time, what's the point?

Poch really hasn't adapted his football and it's left me incredibly disappointed. Wolves had one game plan, and mind you this game plan wouldn't work against any of the other 18 clubs in the Premier League. We play a high line so lob it behind Chilwell so a 40 year old Thiago Silva gets dragged out wide. Simples. This type of management from Poch you'd expect from Lampard. Our midfield is non-exsistent and gets cut through like swiss cheese. 

Squad wise, we spent this much money and we still need to fix our entire left side, we need a ST, probably another winger, and definitely another CB. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Why is Gallagher 3rd captain? Why is Reece James who averages only 3 matches before injury since 2021 our primary captain? I understand the sense of identity and building a foundation around an English core, but when these players are either bang average or not fit half the time, what's the point?

Poch really hasn't adapted his football and it's left me incredibly disappointed. Wolves had one game plan, and mind you this game plan wouldn't work against any of the other 18 clubs in the Premier League. We play a high line so lob it behind Chilwell so a 40 year old Thiago Silva gets dragged out wide. Simples. This type of management from Poch you'd expect from Lampard. Our midfield is non-exsistent and gets cut through like swiss cheese. 

Squad wise, we spent this much money and we still need to fix our entire left side, we need a ST, probably another winger, and definitely another CB. 

What's actually going on at Chelsea? Is Todd Boehly involving himself in the running of the club and playing Football Manager just buying whoever he feels like? Or is he just providing the cash and the recruitment team or Director of Football or Manager have just spent it horribly?

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What's actually going on at Chelsea? Is Todd Boehly involving himself in the running of the club and playing Football Manager just buying whoever he feels like? Or is he just providing the cash and the recruitment team or Director of Football or Manager have just spent it horribly?

Boehly stepped down from day-to-day operations back in November of 2022 despite the media's weird obsession to include him in virtually everything. The co-directors Winstanley and Stewart have been in charge since with the backing of Eghbali (Clearlake founder). 

Ownership want a model/operation method similar to Red Bull, as they believe it to be sustainable. Which is true in essence, but this is the Premier League, and the directors are bringing in far too many inexperienced players all at once which reflects on the pitch. Some of the players, like Mudryk and Madueke, I refuse to believe any analytics showed them having world class potential. They look like mid table/bottom half footballers and they are the ones called upon when Sterling is being Sterling. 

I still believe, squad wise, we should be where United and Spurs are. This is where I have little sympathy for Poch as we are now 7 months in and this group still looks like they were handpicked yesterday and asked to play together. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Boehly stepped down from day-to-day operations back in November of 2022 despite the media's weird obsession to include him in virtually everything. The co-directors Winstanley and Stewart have been in charge since with the backing of Eghbali (Clearlake founder). 

Ownership want a model/operation method similar to Red Bull, as they believe it to be sustainable. Which is true in essence, but this is the Premier League, and the directors are bringing in far too many inexperienced players all at once which reflects on the pitch. Some of the players, like Mudryk and Madueke, I refuse to believe any analytics showed them having world class potential. They look like mid table/bottom half footballers and they are the ones called upon when Sterling is being Sterling. 

I still believe, squad wise, we should be where United and Spurs are. This is where I have little sympathy for Poch as we are now 7 months in and this group still looks like they were handpicked yesterday and asked to play together. 

On the one hand, I think Poch isn't cut out for clubs with high expectations on them anymore. On the other hand, Poch's walked into this team that's a glorified U-21 team with Thiago, Chilwell and Sterling playing with them that's masquerading as a premier league team.

• The topic was unpinned