• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Name Final Euro 2024 Squad

Personally my final 26 would be:

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale.

Walker, Trippier.

Stones, Guehi, Maguire, Colwill, Gomez.

Chilwell, Lewis.

Rice, Trent, Mainoo, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Jones.

Saka, Bowen.

Kane, Toney, Watkins.

Gordon, Grealish.

I'm a little surprised about the rumoured inclusion of Adam Wharton. I think he's exceeded all expectations in a short time frame for us and would offer England something different with his distribution but I just assumed they'd look to phase him in to the squad after the Euros and favour a more combative central midfielder.

I think there's very little in it when debating over Maddison/Eze and Guehi/Branthwaite to the point where I don't think it's worth much conversation. I'd personally pick the two that have been in better form to take as squad players which would be Branthwaite and Eze in these circumstances.

Whilst having four players represent England from Crystal Palace is a very good return for a club of our historical reputation and shows the improvement we've made in both developing and recruiting players over the previous three years, the one player that I would have certainly taken from our ranks hasn't made the team. England are weak with natural left backs due to Chilwell and Shaw's injury issues and I would have no doubt in Tyrick Mitchell's abilities to step up against any opposition at present.

• Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley)
  • Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
  • Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace)
  • Forwards: Jude Bellingham, (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

I scratched out the players I don't think should be selected either due to injury, loss of form or there are better players available for the same positions.   The hardest choice was between Trippier and Shaw both players missed a lot of football since February and are in no way match fit or match sharp,  I went with Shaw due to being a LB,  but I would rather take a shot on Lewis Hall than either. 

44 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Trippier

Alexander-Arnold  Rice

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

Stones has hardly played this season due to injury and still not match sharp. Walker has had his worse season ever, should of let him go last summer

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Just like Phillips did, Grealish plays for Citeh so gets picked, even when he’s done fuck all. Hilarious.

All's Grealish offers is hold up play and free kicks :4_joy: ..united should buy him :ph34r:

• Angry 1

41 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

All's Grealish offers is hold up play and free kicks :4_joy: ..united should buy him :ph34r:

Is it me or does he perform for England? Maybe he just isn't suited to Peps system?

• The title was changed to England Name Preliminary Squad

Having more time to digest the squad I'd leave out the following:

Dean Henderson - If James Trafford is seen as the long term successor for Jordan Pickford then it makes sense to have him go away for a major tournament.

Lewis Dunk - We would only be taking him to stand in the wall for free kicks.

Jerrell Quansah - I think Southgate's been smart in leaving out Henderson, Phillips, Rashford, Sterling etc as the narrative would be around there inclusions at this point. There will also be less debate when he leaves out Quansah and Wharton from the final squad.

Marc Guehi - I think Southgate will take him as hes been round the England set up at all age groups but if Joe Gomez is being taken as a backup left back that can play center back we only need one reserve left footed center back and i just think Jarrad Branthwaite is the better footballer at present.

Curtis Jones - It's the same as Quansah really. He hasn't gained an England cap so it may be an opportunity to see what he can do in friendlies for future squads.

Adam Wharton - Same rationale again. I do wonder though if by calling up so many players who may be ready in two years is an indicator that Gareth Southgate is planning to stay beyond the Euros.

Jack Grealish - This was the most difficult decision out of him, Eze and Maddison. I don't know what Grealish's character standing is in the England dressing room but I think it's similar position to Marcus Rashford where there's just more deserving players based on minutes played and current form. We're also stacked for wide players which helps.

So final squad would be:

Pickford, Ramsgate, Trafford

Walker, Trippier, Maguire, Stones, Branthwaite, Konsa, Shaw, Gomez, 

Trent, Rice, Mainoo, Gallagher, Foden, Saka, Bellingham, Palmer, Eze, Gordon, Bowen, Maddison

Kane, Watkins, Toney

Personally I would have taken Mitchell and Solanke in this preliminary squad to see whether they could make the cut but they'd be squad players so it's not worth fretting about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Taking Lewis Dunk over Branthwaite is a hilarious shout but it also barely matters. Even those players who have made the cut as fringe players will barely kick a ball. Branthwaite has one cap and wouldn't have featured heavily if at all. A shame for him though.

Is Maguire injured or something? Because this seems like an oddly bold move from Southgate. And personally it seems kind of stupid just before the tournament starts. We suddenly have to have a fresh new CB partnership.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Is Maguire injured or something? Because this seems like an oddly bold move from Southgate. And personally it seems kind of stupid just before the tournament starts. We suddenly have to have a fresh new CB partnership.

Struggling with a calf problem apparently.