talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mauricio Pochettino Leaves Chelsea

• Administrator

Thought he was building something good there, especially given the form in the 2nd part of the season. 

But then again, you could tell something was a bit off with some of the comments he'd sometimes make in press conferences. 

Still quite surprising though. 

In the second half of the season there actually looked like there was something to build on going forward. I'm assuming it had less to do with progress on the pitch and more to do with Pochettino not getting along with the people that run the club. The people that run the club seem completely clueless as to how football works.

Can't help but feel the 2 year contract played the biggest part in this. 

Poch probably wanted more direct control to affect decision making but ownership likely viewed him only as a short term option. 

I imagine they go for Tuchel again now.

The people making the decisions at Chelsea are the most clueless idiots in football though. Chelsea, finally end a season with some stability... for the first time in years. 20 points more than last season, losing only 1 out of 15 matches, and getting European football when earlier this season the idea of Chelsea playing in Europe would have seemed totally unrealistic. And they sack him?

Absolute clown show at Chelsea.

Bit of a weird one IMO. Yes they've been laughably shit all season, but in the past month or two he actually turned it round and delivered Europe - not too far from where you'd expect them to have been at the start of the season. 

It almost feels like as they've turned a corner, they've binned him off. 

Weird for Poch now too, burned his bridges with Spurs to manage their rivals for a return of absolutely nothing. Not to mention that IMO his reputation has taken a bit of a battering considering he's now effectively failed at both PSG & Chelsea since leaving Tottenham.

That said, wouldn't be surprised to see him now reunite with Kane at Bayern considering they're crying out for a manager. Also wouldn't surprise me to see Tuchel do the opposite.

• The title was changed to Mauricio Pochettino Leaves Chelsea
  • Subscriber

I think they've possibly stumbled on the correct decision but the process that's taken them to it would seriously concern me if I was a Chelsea fan. How he can preside over a largely dire season and survive it on the proviso that it's some sort of build for the future, to then get the sack after literally the first time during his tenure where they've started to show any serious promise. It's like decisions being made by a computer and not a very good one.

The list of potential targets as well are further 'project' coaches. McKenna, Michel, Maresca and Hoeness were the four I saw linked. These are all gambles. I could understand this if they had a top manager lined up who they thought could add the finishing touches, but this just seems driven by a fear of missing out on the next big thing more than anything else. Which is largely what they've been about under Boehly.

For all the money swashing around the Premier League I think it's still ripe with total ineptness.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

That said, wouldn't be surprised to see him now reunite with Kane at Bayern considering they're crying out for a manager.

That was the first thing that I thought of, Bayern > Poch > Kane, you never know, Bayern are now in never never land since Leverkusen knocked them off of there perch, they want their number one spot back again.

I feel sorry for Kane, though, he landed more than likely thinking he would finally get his hands on a trophy but it never happened last time around amd knowing his luck he might end up injured big time in the Euros and that will be him, sad if it happens. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Mark Goldbridge was talking about Tuchel coming back, strange move. 

Why are you paying attention to that imbecile? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Mark Goldbridge was talking about Tuchel coming back, strange move. 

You know Bent Brent knows literally fuck all about the inner workings of any football club? Why are you even listening to him? It’s like getting your world news from a child.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Why are you paying attention to that imbecile? 

I'm not agreeing with him, but I am allowed to listen to him

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

You know Bent Brent knows literally fuck all about the inner workings of any football club? Why are you even listening to him? It’s like getting your world news from a child.

As above, I just listen to the various shows but most of the time it's people guessing 

I imagine what's happened is that Pochettino went in to the end of the season review with a little clout following the recent upturn in form and the club have not differed from the approach they want to take. 

I think its safe to say they'll stick to there philosophy of signing young players to develop as opposed to bringing in experience whilst selling academy players to improve there PSR position and both parties agreed it was best to part ways. Which must be frustrating for the fans as they've lost Thiago Silva and they'll probably lose Conor Gallagher at a time when they should be adding experience to the group they already had.

As for his replacement, whilst none of the names mentioned would give me optimism as a fan I do think Thomas Frank would be an interesting choice. I don't think his stock has been largely affected by Brentford's finish due to the injuries he's contested with and he may see a rebuild without possibly Toney and/or Mbuemo as an appropriate to let a new manager take over.

I don't think it's the right jump for Kieron McKenna to make at this point. He's better off going to a team like Brighton where there will be more patience to get things right in the first season as opposed to a Chelsea or Manchester United.

• Subscriber

Di Marzio reckons they actually want Maresca. That'll change things. He'll take that. I think he'd told us he wanted to stay with certain assurances but it's easier to do this when Chelsea aren't in for you. I think the compensation package we'd receive will be of interest to us.

Posted (edited)

Think ownership will finally lose the remaining fanbase next season if we end up doing worse. 

Poch had a lot of flaws but with how we ended the season there's a high likelihood we could finish Top 4 next season. Especially if we bring in 2-3 experienced heads and solve our injury crises. Not to mention with the new Europa League format (CL clubs not being dumped into it) there's another avenue for CL and a trophy. 

Just more steps backwards replacing Poch. 

Edited by Cicero

It's a right old circus... clowns everywhere you look 

So much for bringing in managers for a long term project. It's just one after another. Boehly seems to be following the Abramovich path of culling managers left right and centre except that when Abramovich did it we always had something to show for it at the end of a season.. I strongly doubt that whomever they bring in would have much more luck than the previous ones because it seems as though the team itself and players we get are not in their hands but they are expected to make something out of someone else's choices.. " Here a bunch of young players we picked now go make it work " 

Someone could get lucky of course, the improvements towards the end of the season looked promising and if that could be maintained we could have a much better season ahead but if the manager is not getting much say on recruitment either in or out then don't really see the point in having one?? Might as well put a cardboard cut out in the dugout every matchday..