talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(R16) England (aet)2-1 Slovakia - Sunday 30th June, 2024

football forums

Trippier, Saka, Eze & Konsa all took a turn at left back. Trippier was possibly the worst.

Foden definitely making me feel that we just can't play like Man City. And that any of the replacement options would do better.

Rightly or wrongly, we have probably seen the last of Ollie Watkins in this tournament. He's not a penalty taker.

They are fucking shite, the manager being the biggest bellend in English football at the moment. Switzerland next game will be the end of it though, I think their attack will murder that back line. 

Watching these players play like that every single game this tournament is depressing. Roll on the fucking league season. 

Kane, Foden, Rice, Trippier & Stones have been a joke, but I bet all of them play the next game. The lineup won’t change. 

Edited by Rick

• The title was changed to (R16) England (aet)2-1 Slovakia - Sunday 30th June, 2024
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

People are far too critical of individual players. It's all on the manager for how shit England have been. Swapping the odd individual won't change anything

This completely. These are world class or very good players, all looking lost and like they’ve never played football before. They haven’t all suddenly lost their ability at the same time, it’s a massive system and tactical problem that stems from the manager.

Just now, Storts said:

This completely. These are world class or very good players, all looking lost and like they’ve never played football before. They haven’t all suddenly lost their ability at the same time, it’s a massive system and tactical problem that stems from the manager.

Exactly, most of these players are playing for some of the best teams in Europe but they're being asked to do something completely different than when they play for their clubs

It is crazy & sort of indefensible now that nothing has changed. There are 2 clear & obvious options. 1 is for a Konsa or Gomez to play LB, ask Stones to step up to DM, in possession. Which Stones randomly did himself today on 1 moment of frustration. Gives Mainoo & Bellingham much more licence to go & do whatever they feel like. The other option is to use Saka at LB, for the balance of having someone with pace & a left foot offering some blatantly missing width on the left. Both options have different risks. But it's much more risk to stubbornly & blindly go with more of the same vs Switzerland. 

56 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yep, Southgate's tactical instruction to Trippier to misplace a 10-15 m pass to Guehi, so the latter had to foul his opponent and being given a yellow card at the begin of the match and score a rugby fiel goal from a good position in the first half instead of putting the ball into the net clearly didn't work.

When Slovakia scored I turned round to the people I was with in boxpark and said: "we are in trouble here. Southgate is out of ideas".

And I still think I'm right, he was a minute away from losing his job and our last throw of a dice was on overhead kick that saved his job.

The limbs at that moment though, in that atmosphere at Wembley, you couldn't make it up.

I'm sure after this tournament and think it's rather sad that my greatest ever moment was a 95th minute goal against England in my Gazza 96 shirt, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I hope we improve, but I can't see us beating Switzerland given we didn't improve. Southgate will be a Palace manager sooner rather than later 

• Subscriber

Saka left back btw I think is the correct move in this tournament and I thought it beforehand. I agreed with Ian Wright. It's shit for him and entirely self inflicted, but we can't persist with Trippier.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Saka left back btw I think is the correct move in this tournament and I thought it beforehand. I agreed with Ian Wright. It's shit for him and entirely self inflicted, but we can't persist with Trippier.

With Gomez and Konsa I don’t see the point in taking one of our better attacking players away from the final 3rd. Or even put Walker out left and put Trent in to give us a bit of creativity. But Trent’s maybe a player that’ll never fit in with a Southgate setup.

I think Palmer needs to start, and Foden should be dropped. Foden’s another player I think doesn’t fit how Southgate wants to play.

Eze and Toney I think made a strong case for getting more time on the pitch as well.

I just don’t know if Southgate will really make any big changes. I think the squad while unbalanced, there’s probably a way to get it playing better with the kind of football terrorism Southgate is a diehard believer in. But I think he’s just going to keep doing what he’s been doing.

Regardless of Southgate being a muppet with cowardly tactics and team selections, there are a good handful of players in the team playing well below their ability to the point that even the basics have looked a struggle. It’s a collective issue, and I can’t see anything changing for Saturday. 

• The topic was unpinned

I do get the public outroar but we've never been a free flowing, entertaining side that racks up goals and smashes teams. It's never been the England way. Every now and then, like smashing Holland 4-1 in '96 or Germany 5-1, we get treated to a truly exceptional performance.

100% I expect more from this team, the personal etc and I don't rate Southgate at all, I think he's our major achilles heel. It's a real struggle and graft with us at the moment, tough watch etc but the most important thing to date is.....we're still in it.

Greece won this by being dour. Portugal win it by being as equally dull. If we were to win it by scraping through each game in unconvincing fashion, no one is going to give a monkeys if we end up lifting the trophy, let's be honest.

We got a massive get out of jail moment yesterday but the way in which we saved ourselves so dramatically and then won it, has surely given the players a shot in the arm. I feel like maybe the shackles might come off for us a bit now and am hoping we'll take some confidence into the Swiss game. We'll need to improve to beat them for sure.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Not sure being second best to Slovakia for 120 minutes is the time to give it a "Told you so".

Someone was saying that he shouted "who else" after he scored. I'm not sure I believe it, whether it's provable, or whether it's just annoyed punters trying their hand at some lip-reading, but if that did happen then along with this "we showed them" stance he seems to be taking in the interview, it's all a bit of an ick for me. 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Neville before the game yesterday talking about playing the high tempo English way. Did he not see most of the players on their knees gassed out after the opening game?

England haven't played at any decent tempo since I can remember. I think English football traditionally plays this way but our team has been frankly dull since probably the Sven days.

Even in the 2018 and 2020 runs I don't think we were particularly entertaining. On occasion maybe but a bit of an efficient machine rather than anything swashbuckling.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Someone was saying that he shouted "who else" after he scored. I'm not sure I believe it, whether it's provable, or whether it's just annoyed punters trying their hand at some lip-reading, but if that did happen then along with this "we showed them" stance he seems to be taking in the interview, it's all a bit of an ick for me. 

I recall him seemingly saying 'who else' as well. It was on a slow-motion replay on ITV.

I don't mind him giving a bit back to the cancerous media. At least he's got plenty of stuff to back it up with. British media are all too quick to bring them down and crucify them. Yeah they've been shit, but even when they've been good at getting to finals the media always find a way to find/create controversy instead of actually backing the lads.