talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF) Netherlands 1-2 England - Wednesday 10th July, 2024

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It’s amazing how Phoden doesn’t drive the ball via dribbling like he does for City, and it’s amazing that Jude isn’t making late runs into the box to be an outlet for play driving dribbles like he does for Real

Instead Gareth told them to be in each other’s way.

I thought Foden was going to be one of the players of the tournament. Best player in the Premier League last season for me and top 5 worldwide.

Pep tax might be real.

First half, both teams got lucky with their goals and had good chances to score. An uncharacteristic error from Declan Rice, almost unseen from him in the past couple of seasons in a West Ham or Arsenal shirt, and a penalty that was one of those that looked soft as a penalty but had that happened anywhere else on the pitch, Denzel Dumfries would have been penalised for it. A couple of decent chances either way, Dumfries’ header off the crossbar and Foden’s shot that looked very similar to Yamal’s the evening before. 

Second half the quality dropped out of the game. Neither team wanting to commit too much and make an error and a lot of safe passes amongst back fours and holding midfields. I think many had read that sort of script before, England having more of the ball than their opponent but doing nothing with it and then getting hit against the run of play and being tactically devoid of a plan to equalise, and many probably feared it would come to fruition again. Gareth Southgate gets tonnes of stick, a lot unwarranted I feel, but he could quite easily be a bit of a dick this evening after two of his late subs, Palmer and Watkins, combined for the winner. 

I think Harry Kane and Jude Bellingham look knackered. That’s not a criticism of England or Southgate but more so football as a whole. Kane must be pushing 60 games for the 23/24 season and Bellingham not much further behind him. I get it, they were their respective clubs’ big money signings but they look fatigued and slower than they have done. But hey, we have more Champions League games, a World Club Cup that nobody wants and an expanded World Cup and group games against footballing luminaries like Burkino Faso and El Salvador to come, so that’s exactly what the footballing world needs. 

As for Southgate, I think he has strayed from what was so successful for him somewhat. There was a time when he’d get stick for picking certain players and allegedly having “favourites” but for a long time he had players playing a system that worked and he knew that Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire and Raheem Sterling did a job regardless of how they did for their clubs. This now feels a bit like he’s learning again with a fresh crop what works and what doesn’t and who works together and who doesn’t but he’s now doing it to the backdrop of actual pressure and expectations, given his past results. 

Anyway, Spain should win but football is weird sometimes. 

Shitty way to go out with that late of a goal, but not too surprising in the end. We are just too average in many regards, and England have much more quality. Even if their full potential hasn't come out, it's still enough to beat us. Whether it will be enough to beat Spain remains to be seen, but I hope so. Would be cool to see England win something, but I also really hope those players show what they are really capable of in the final.

Especially pleased for Ollie Watkins that he scored in open play. We know Kane will start the final, but Watkins probably suits starting. Wheel Kane on for a penalty if it seems needed.

I will say it now.. I feel more relaxed & confident than I did in 2021. Back then I was excited & nervous. Hope that's how the squad feels too.

• Subscriber

To be honest, although luck was on our side (again!) I do actually think over the course of the 90 that we deserved that and the subs were right as well.

Common sense tells me it's a comfortable Spain win, but England just seem to have that luck this time. Like even more extreme than in previous runs.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

knew that Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire and Raheem Sterling did a job regardless of how they did for their clubs

Yeah you can exclude Pickford from this. I know it's what the media tells you but he's actually brilliant for Everton as well and has been our player of the season 3 of the last 5 years.

Everyone needs to drop the "Pickford has always done really well for England" and acknowledge he's just a very good goalkeeper. Everton fans are used to seeing this level of performance. It's mental the praise for him still comes with this implied asterisk because it's about 4 years since he had that string of dodgy mistakes for us.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah you can exclude Pickford from this. I know it's what the media tells you but he's actually brilliant for Everton as well and has been our player of the season 3 of the last 5 years.

Everyone needs to drop the "Pickford has always done really well for England" and acknowledge he's just a very good goalkeeper. Everton fans are used to seeing this level of performance. It's mental the praise for him still comes with this implied asterisk because it's about 4 years since he had that string of dodgy mistakes for us.

There was definitely pressure from some angles of the media and football fans for others to get a game for England around the time Pickford's form for Everton dipped. Southgate stood by him quite possibly because "form is temporary, class is permanent" etc. He's probably had a couple of seasons now better than he's ever been and Everton and England are seeing the rewards. 

51 minutes ago, MUFC said:

How much would you say bringing Mainoo in has contributed? 

A lot. 

Lets be real, the teams England pumped out in the group stage were no where near the best possible combinations within the squad. But for all that it's southgates job to have the best team for the job on it from day 1, those late goals in the knockouts have afforded him the luxury of being able to adjust game by game, until now shock horror he has found strange things like 

Playing 2 midfielders in the midfield is good. 
Saka and Foden down the same side of the pitch is dangerous. 
Foden and Bellingham need to be afforded some space between them so they can operate. 

If he realizes Kane is as useful as an arsehole on your knee, England have a punchers chance. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

There was definitely pressure from some angles of the media and football fans for others to get a game for England around the time Pickford's form for Everton dipped. Southgate stood by him quite possibly because "form is temporary, class is permanent" etc. He's probably had a couple of seasons now better than he's ever been and Everton and England are seeing the rewards. 

Yeah I wasn't really having a go at you and that was definitely a fair observation going back 4-5 years but it still gets me seeing pundits make comments like "Pickford's never let England down", "he's always been good for England", "the way he's performed for England". The lad deserves to just have his qualities acknowledged without this perpetual implication that he's an average player at club level who just plays out of his skin when it comes to his country.

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, MUFC said:

How much would you say bringing Mainoo in has contributed? 

Hugely.

Has brought a lot of balance to the defensive side of midfield and seems to have built a good partnership with Rice. When one goes up the other sits.

While he and Rice are similar, they have a lot of energy between them and both perform their roles very well; they're in and around both boxes so they either support the defence or they're an extra body when going forward. Mainoo links up better in the opposition box. Nearly set up Foden with a great through ball.

It's always a bit annoying when you get a dodgy decision go for you. Leaves a question mark next to the win. That being said there was plenty of time left in the match. It would be different if it was a 90th minute equaliser.  England might have won it anyway, we will never know.  Apparently the var official they used is very trusted. I don't think it would of been a penalty in the Premier league but Europe on generally less lenient on penalties than England so maybe it was. 

Great performance and result for England. Great substitution from Southgate. 

I'd love to see him start Kane on the bench in the final but I won't hold my breath

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

It's always a bit annoying when you get a dodgy decision go for you. Leaves a question mark next to the win. That being said there was plenty of time left in the match. It would be different if it was a 90th minute equaliser.  England might have won it anyway, we will never know.  Apparently the var official they used is very trusted. I don't think it would of been a penalty in the Premier league but Europe on generally less lenient on penalties than England so maybe it was. 

I was very surprised when the penalty was given. But, the usual coming together is a defender looking to kick the ball. With a foot going upwards. On the incident he is stamping down. Whoever was on VAR obviously thought it seemed dubious. I'd suggest if Kane tackled a defender looking to clear in that same stamping motion, a free kick is the decision. Still very very fortunate for England, because 95% of those challenges just get waived away. And nobody on either side thinks too much more about it.

• Subscriber

It is possible to stumble upon something and for it to click. Timing is so important and England have so far timed everything pretty much to perfection.

I think we beat all allegations if we beat Spain to be fair. They've been excellent. There's no luck in getting them, they look the part, strong all over the pitch. I think they're a bridge too far personally, but far stranger things happen.