talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FOYM said:

I was concerned about our back four but they all performed brilliantly today. Karius annoyed me pissing about a bit, but other than that he had nothing to do.

Our midfield of Can, Hendo and Gini were all excellent and the front three were just on another level. 

We have to start beating the smaller teams in the league like this too. Most of our close results are against the likes of Burnley and Palace (no offence).

calm down you only played arsenal today, dont think you are that great its just that arsenal made you look like real madrid. 

To the people who want Coutinho gone, remember our midfield subs were Milner and Grujic. And as terrific as Hendo, Can and Gini were today, I don't think any of them can consistently unlock rigid defences or teams who sit back. In our squad, only Coutinho and Lallana are blessed with that ability. We need both of them, until we can identify a replacement.

As for Arsenal, they need a change at the top ASAP. But that was something that needed to be done long back.

Perfect chance to dump Wenger last season and start a new era and they didn't. No more sympathy for Arsenal. It's actually become such a boring topic of conversation regarding them because it's become such a regular occurrence. You literally feel on repeat hearing the same shite churned out.

Feel so bad for the fans who pay top bracket for mediocrity. It's completely unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Perfect chance to dump Wenger last season and start a new era and they didn't. No more sympathy for Arsenal. It's actually become such a boring topic of conversation regarding them because it's become such a regular occurrence. You literally feel on repeat hearing the same shite churned out.

Feel so bad for the fans who pay top bracket for mediocrity. It's completely unacceptable.

I had to laugh when he got another 2 years just for winning the Cup... In a way we were the overall winners really

• Subscriber

Happy about that win but I'll admit Arsenal really left the front door wide open and against a team with the pace that Liverpool has its a guarantee you'll get scored against. I did think at one point that Klopp might give another attack-minded player a chance  on the pitch considering the kind of chances that were being created but that's all in the past now. 

Shame they aren't playing City next week with this kind of momentum.

There are four types of Arsenal fan right now...

• Those that have wanted Wenger out for quite a number of years now and wanted change back then.
  • Those that defend Wenger to the hilt (these have reduced dramatically and are a dying breed).
  • Those that entertain Wenger leaving and admit he needs to be replaced but have him on such a pedestal that they haven't been able to come up with another name and continue to think this way.
  • These are the worst...  Those that think a true fan stands by their club no matter what shit they throw at them...  Those that see public dissent as an affront to the club.  These types I don't only question on a situation as trivial as football, these types I would expect are the same in other more serious life's issues.

The main issue is the board...  I couldn't give two pence worth that many of them reluctantly were in favour of letting Wenger go before they announced a further two years.  Kroenke isn't to blame...  He's the major shareholder and he is acting as what he is...  An American that knows nothing about the sport, a businessman and at most, a faithful defender of personalities that have shown faith in the way he sees things.

We are a boring football club!

When we had George Graham, we were accused of being a boring football team (1-0 to the Arsenal and all that), but now we are a boring football club which is something a whole lot different.  I don't expect fans from other clubs to understand these things and see many of us Arsenal fans these days as an entertaining breed of mongaloids.  Maybe I'd feel the same way too looking in from outside the shop window or outside the zoo cage.  But I know many Arsenal fans that feel like me...  Arsenal fans that have supported the club the same amount of years or more as me, invested as much or more than me and they mean NOTHING now.  Infact fans that buy shirts in China, Singapore etc... etc... mean more to this club.

FUCK ARSENAL!

So, if you watch the BBC post match interview with Arsene Wenger, you'll get these main points he gave...

Arsene Wenger;

"The defeat raises many questions"

Something that when questioned on which questions it raises he changes the subject.

"Yes, we changed the usual formation at the back end of last season and in the second half today we changed it again"

That change (whatever it was) meant we conceded an early goal in the second half.

"We won a lot of big games at the back end of last season, so I have faith in these players, they're good"

We won a lot of games at the back end of last season when all was lost on every available permutation and the pressure was off.

The whole thing is hilarious!  But then again, what do I know if I don't know how to run a football club.  My point is pointless and probably too bold...

• Subscriber

Got to say Spurs are doing it yet again. Third year running. They're dropping points that they shouldn't be. It's that what cost them the title and what won it for us and Chelsea.

5 hours ago, VanPanna said:

Other coach would get so much out of this Arsenal squad. Need to get rid of Wenger lt is obvious to see what the problem is and also no one wants to stay at the club even for stupid money. 

Yep. Wengers just going through the motions now. The abject performances from good players have the hallmarks of what usually lead to a manager being sacked but with arsenal and arsene it won't happen.

Hopefully they will get the fight back because otherwise it will be a long frustrating year and one that has the potential to be a disaster to the brand in terms of player pulling power which was already in poor shape after last season. 

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

True although it should be said we have beaten arsenal in this fashion before and it usually sees us drop points the following week against a burnley type team and doesn't normally have impact on arsenals season too much. 

The key for us has to be not to get carried away and overrating ourselves and to work to beat lower order teams as convincingly. We still need Coitinho and we could still do with defensive improvements before the window closes. 

Fantastic day but need to remember its just one game in 38.

13 hours ago, SirBalon said:

There are four types of Arsenal fan right now...

• Those that have wanted Wenger out for quite a number of years now and wanted change back then.
  • Those that defend Wenger to the hilt (these have reduced dramatically and are a dying breed).
  • Those that entertain Wenger leaving and admit he needs to be replaced but have him on such a pedestal that they haven't been able to come up with another name and continue to think this way.
  • These are the worst...  Those that think a true fan stands by their club no matter what shit they throw at them...  Those that see public dissent as an affront to the club.  These types I don't only question on a situation as trivial as football, these types I would expect are the same in other more serious life's issues.

The main issue is the board...  I couldn't give two pence worth that many of them reluctantly were in favour of letting Wenger go before they announced a further two years.  Kroenke isn't to blame...  He's the major shareholder and he is acting as what he is...  An American that knows nothing about the sport, a businessman and at most, a faithful defender of personalities that have shown faith in the way he sees things.

We are a boring football club!

When we had George Graham, we were accused of being a boring football team (1-0 to the Arsenal and all that), but now we are a boring football club which is something a whole lot different.  I don't expect fans from other clubs to understand these things and see many of us Arsenal fans these days as an entertaining breed of mongaloids.  Maybe I'd feel the same way too looking in from outside the shop window or outside the zoo cage.  But I know many Arsenal fans that feel like me...  Arsenal fans that have supported the club the same amount of years or more as me, invested as much or more than me and they mean NOTHING now.  Infact fans that buy shirts in China, Singapore etc... etc... mean more to this club.

FUCK ARSENAL!

You have my sympathy mate. For me wenger is the embodiment of what's wrong at arsenal now. They rate him by his technical ability but what's most important is to have fire and desire and be able to motivate the troops. Spirit in other words. Arsenal have lacked it for several years and I can only see it changing with a new manager. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

You have my sympathy mate. For me wenger is the embodiment of what's wrong at arsenal now. They rate him by his technical ability but what's most important is to have fire and desire and be able to motivate the troops. Spirit in other words. Arsenal have lacked it for several years and I can only see it changing with a new manager. 

I reckon they need to get Rodgers in to inject some character into that squad :ph34r:

You're completely right. For all that Arsenal are predictable tactically and play into our hands, their attitude was terrible yesterday. It's easy to blame the players for that, but it's been going on for years and at some point (a point which has long since passed) you have to ask why everyone who plays for Arsenal has this terrible attitude with respect to doing the 'dirty work'.

By the way, how bizarre was it for Gary Neville to basically point out everything that's wrong with Arsenal under Wenger and then completely backtrack when asked if he should be sacked. Coward

I don't get the Neville commentary over here but i did read about some zingers.... most seem directed at the players though. 

“I’m absolutely fuming watching them.”

“Three or four of these Arsenal players want to leave… Who wants to buy them?”

“Xhaka has just tried to backheel the ball to his goalkeeper in the six yard box. Try to put words to that if you can.”

“I can’t believe what I’m seeing here.”

“It’s a well-told story that I’m not a Liverpool fan, but this Arsenal side deserves a battering. This is the most disappointing Arsenal you could possibly wish to see.”

“The general attitude, and lack of respect towards the shirt by three or four of them. They (the Arsenal fans) must be livid.”

“I’d stick them all up on the transfer list.”

Just now, HK85 said:

We were crap. Williams and Jagielka are finished at the top end of this league. 

End of a tough 6 days. Got to push on from now. 

Is it just me or the 3-4-3 for Everton didn't work at all? When Koeman switched to the original formation it looked slightly better.

3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Is it just me or the 3-4-3 for Everton didn't work at all? When Koeman switched to the original formation it looked slightly better.

It doesn't at Chelsea. We played it last year and got battered and it was the same yesterday. 

Only difference was when DCL came on he gave Chelsea's back 3 something to think of. 

3 minutes ago, HK85 said:

It doesn't at Chelsea. We played it last year and got battered and it was the same yesterday. 

Only difference was when DCL came on he gave Chelsea's back 3 something to think of. 

Plenty of clubs trying the 3-4-3 lately, i guess it works if you have players that can do a job in the system. To be honest i was very surprised how easily we got the points without really impressing. Created a lot of chances as well. I guess the City / Hajduk games plus the trips fatigued the team.

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't get the Neville commentary over here but i did read about some zingers.... most seem directed at the players though. 

“Xhaka has just tried to backheel the ball to his goalkeeper in the six yard box. Try to put words to that if you can.”

“It’s a well-told story that I’m not a Liverpool fan, but this Arsenal side deserves a battering. This is the most disappointing Arsenal you could possibly wish to see.”

“The general attitude, and lack of respect towards the shirt by three or four of them. They (the Arsenal fans) must be livid.”

Yeah he says all that but he is a massive Wenger defender. Happily rips the players but never accuses the root of the problem.

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes, G. Neville is very much deteriorating as a football pundit. Yesterday during the game he was as close to pathetic as I have heard from any commentators wingman. However, he is far worse when offering his opinion during United games. He needs to be replaced as for me all football pundits should only get a maximum of 3 consecutive seasons. When he started I felt he was trying hard to be fair & unbiased and I appreciated that because like many others I was expected to hear from him what we suffer today, biased words in favor of United and negative thought on all the other top sides. I watched the 2nd half of the game without sound, something I am guilty of in more than 50% of the games I watch.

Alas when I thought we had got rid of him over to Spain, his performance in the hot seat underlined how we should take his so called expert comment, only for Sky to return him to his former position.

Nov 5th will soon be upon us and I would vote to pop the failed former Valencia manager, plus Alan Smith Jamie Carragher and pretty much anyone who has been sitting in the prime Sky positions for any length of time.

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

Yes, G. Neville is very much deteriorating as a football pundit. Yesterday during the game he was as close to pathetic as I have heard from any commentators wingman. However, he is far worse when offering his opinion during United games. He needs to be replaced as for me all football pundits should only get a maximum of 3 consecutive seasons. When he started I felt he was trying hard to be fair & unbiased and I appreciated that because like many others I was expected to hear from him what we suffer today, biased words in favor of United and negative thought on all the other top sides. I watched the 2nd half of the game without sound, something I am guilty of in more than 50% of the games I watch.

Alas when I thought we had got rid of him over to Spain, his performance in the hot seat underlined how we should take his so called expert comment, only for Sky to return him to his former position.

Nov 5th will soon be upon us and I would vote to pop the failed former Valencia manager, plus Alan Smith Jamie Carragher and pretty much anyone who has been sitting in the prime Sky positions for any length of time.

Agree re Gary Neville. The odd comment he made yesterday was funny but overall it was really poor commentating and really just ripped the Arsenal team to shreds. Yes they were poor but the personal insults didn't make for good viewing even as a neutral. 

Archived