talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Under-rated players?

football forum

football forum

Somewhere to shine a light on the players that seem to fly under the radar. We're always hearing plaudits handed out to the likes of Alexis and Hazard but who really makes the team tick without grabbing the headlines?

I'll throw three names into the mix to get us going; 

Harry Arter (Bournemouth):

Hitting his peak at the age of 26 after finding the big time through Welling and Woking Arter is an integral part of the way Bournemouth play and has shown himself to be a key figure in their impressive rise up the leagues. Despite him not hitting the headlines I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the switch to a team on the fringes of Europe. 

James Milner (Liverpool):

Has adapted to life in his new position of left-back despite being an old dog and has managed to really inspire his side to some impressive victories. His hand in several assists and banking three goals has made him an under-rated figure at Anfield this season and someone who puts his body on the line for the shirt every week.

Jonny Evans (West Brom):

Has played at centre-back, left-back and in the midfield this season for West Brom as they continue to sit on the out-skirts of European football. Despite being cast away by Manchester United Johnny has shown what he is made of and is surely one of the first names that Pulis puts on his team-sheet, a real under-rated leader that anyone would admire.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Alongside Jonny Evans, Gareth McAuley. Can't remember which thread it was that I sang his praised but I think he should be making a team of the season but probably won't because he's not your regular top 6/7 kind of player. He's 36 or 37 years old. Still shutting out teams and has chipped in with a few goals this season as well. 

One player who always gets a "yeah he's good" but not heavily praised for us is James McArthur. He's always been good when he's played. A bit of a general in midfield. It would have been interesting to see what role he would have played for Leicester last season if he had signed for them instead of us.

As a Scotland fan I'd also have to 2nd that McArthur is overlooked. He's a sold, reliable presence, for a team that's struggled recently in the PL. And he's also the only regular performer at CM for Scotland. Fletcher seems to struggle sometimes for some reason for the national team, despite being great for West Brom as far as I hear.

Otherwise, I really like Hojbjerg. I know he's not been a guaranteed presence recently for Southampton, but I feel he could really be a top player. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Cure said:

Joe Allen. Underrated at Liverpool and underrated now. He's been solid for Stoke this season and has much creative potential. A solid asset for any team.

Allen is not underrated, he is what he is. He's at his level. Gabbiadini was a terrible shout, he's only been in the league 5 minutes.

Arter and McArthur are good shouts. I'll add Schmeichel to that. Never used to rate him, and in his Dad's shadow but think he's come on leaps and bounds. Very good 'keeper.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:51 AM, StanLCFC said:

Alongside Jonny Evans, Gareth McAuley. Can't remember which thread it was that I sang his praised but I think he should be making a team of the season but probably won't because he's not your regular top 6/7 kind of player. He's 36 or 37 years old. Still shutting out teams and has chipped in with a few goals this season as well. 

McAuley was well into his 30s by the time he played his first Premier League game too, it's incredibly impressive how well he's done for West Brom considering his age. At a time many players step down a league he made a big step up. 

They might not be underrated per se but Spurs' Ben Davies and Kieran Trippier always impress me with how well they slot in when Rose or Walker are unavailable or need a rest, they always seem to put in good performances when I see them and seem like the perfect backup full backs. 

I'd say Pedro for us as although he's started to get some praise, I still think there's sections of Chelsea supporters who don't rate him highly (my Dad included). Pedro also does a lot of stuff that can go unnoticed and there's also an interesting debate developing amongst Chelsea fans at the moment, with parts of the Chelsea fanbase (when you go past the popular and generic type opinions that is) who say Pedro has outperformed Hazard so far this season. It's an interesting one.

• Subscriber

Harry Kane. Seriously.

I don't think people realise just how good he is. He's performed at a very high level for a few years now he's an absolutely quality striker and we need to build the England team around him for years to come.

I feel Pedro has always been underrated, not just now at Chelsea but whilst he was at Barca too. He's the ultimate professional and you don't see much of him in the limelight. Pleased at how well he's doing recently with Chelsea. 

I agree with all those talking up Pedro..... Outstanding signing by Chelsea while Manchester United pussied around trying to make their mind up. I have stood firm behind him since he signed and I am thrilled he has shown some excellent performances this season.

Other players I admire who I thing are firmly shoe-in's for this thread.

Noble - West Ham :- Real solid pro who is very much at home on the ball and working damn hard without it. You can add me to the many people who question why he has never got a look in at International level, when players like Liverpool's Henderson get to wear the England armband.

Coleman - Everton :- I have always wondered why he hasnt ended up at a big club as each season he tends to be very solid both defending and going forward, adding a few goals each season. Maybe there are Everton fans here who get to watch him far more than I who can put me right, but I think the boy is under rated.

Moses - Chelsea :- I have always been a fan of him, but like everyone else had my eyes widened by his performances this season in a role nobody saw right for him other than his new manager. I truly hope he isnt a one season wonder when Chelsea start to up-grade in the summer.

Mata - Manchester United :- For me, Mata is United's best midfielder and would be the first name on the team sheet. He is neat n tidy on the ball and chips in with plenty of goals, often very important goals. I accept, after watching him regular at Chelsea, he isnt the best without the ball n defending, but for me he is a special player being under used by his club. Long may it continue ;)

Rooney - Manchester United :- For some reason United fans (Probably Rooney's taking the clubs pants down twice over new contracts) have pulled the plug on Rooney and for me, some club are going to get a HUGE bargain this summer. He has plenty of years left and if he can find a club who will surround him with young players to help do his running (Think Dave Mackay at Derby County) , he will enjoy his football again without having to carry his club on his back. The old romantic in me would love to see him return to Everton and for him to help them win a trophy. Even the most hardened Everton fan might accept him home then.

I lost it with him last season and wanted him gone, but his proved me and a lot of others wrong this season and that's Theo Walcott. People will probably disagree, but he is a very good player and you cannot deny his return. 17 goals from the right wing is top notch. He has his faults, but he's more than capable at this level.

Arter is a superb shout, he is having a brilliant season. Also Josh King's recent exploits shouldn't go unnoticed, he has been great.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Storts said:

Allen is not underrated, he is what he is. He's at his level. Gabbiadini was a terrible shout, he's only been in the league 5 minutes.

Arter and McArthur are good shouts. I'll add Schmeichel to that. Never used to rate him, and in his Dad's shadow but think he's come on leaps and bounds. Very good 'keeper.

I'm with you on that, as shocked as you'll be to hear that. I always thought he got a bit over-rated because of his name but he's totally won me over now. Liverpool could do a lot worse.

7 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Coleman - Everton :- I have always wondered why he hasnt ended up at a big club as each season he tends to be very solid both defending and going forward, adding a few goals each season. Maybe there are Everton fans here who get to watch him far more than I who can put me right, but I think the boy is under rated.

Coleman is rated just about right I'd say. Sometimes gets spoke about as one of the better fullbacks in the league and he is. In terms of a move away, he's comfortable here and not the type to push a move. Plus, I don't think a much better option has came up apart from that rumoured United move a few years ago. 

I think Steven Davis is under rated. Keeps things ticking for Southampton. 

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

Mate at work supports Liverpool & Ireland and rates Coleman as the best right back in the league. Do think he's massively biased though.

How can a Liverpool supporter that rates Coleman as the best RB in the league be biased? :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Coleman is rated just about right I'd say. Sometimes gets spoke about as one of the better fullbacks in the league and he is. In terms of a move away, he's comfortable here and not the type to push a move. Plus, I don't think a much better option has came up apart from that rumoured United move a few years ago. 

Appreciate the feedback HK85. I remember United being linked with him.

• Administrator

Sam Clucas has been superb this season for Hull. Would not be remotely surprised to see him make a move to a team that would bring him on a level like Spurs in the summer. I say Spurs because Pochettino is pro young English players and you could see him developing him. Their styles are compatible.

I'd like to give James Ward-Prowse a shout out too, I think he's had a good season at Southampton and developed into a very neat footballer with decent technique.

Archived