The better place to talk football.

Generation 'Snowflake'

football forum

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wouldn't you have to look at when your copy was public?

Yeah, but you would also have to know when the changes were first introduced in order to know whether your copy is original work or altered in any way... Can always ask ChatGPT, I suppose :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, but you would also have to know when the changes were first introduced in order to know whether your copy is original work or altered in any way... Can always ask ChatGPT, I suppose :ph34r:

As long as that info's still available on the internet, then I assume at least some people will know. ChatGPT will only know if they update how much internet it has access too! I think it only has knowledge of the world up until 2021.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As long as that info's still available on the internet, then I assume at least some people will know. ChatGPT will only know if they update how much internet it has access too! I think it only has knowledge of the world up until 2021.

That was supposed to be a (bad) joke 😪 xD 

On 19/02/2023 at 18:19, nudge said:

They are not the author, though (obviously) - so even if they are allowed to give permission in the legal sense, it's essentially an absurd book censorship. We're not talking about changing some words or descriptions that are universally unacceptable these days (something that Roald Dahl did himself years ago when he changed the description of the Oompa-Loompas to not be racist), we're talking about completely changing or removing entire sentences. Like, look at these for example:

FpPEpmoWYAEUp9k?format=jpg&name=small

I don't quite understand what is offensive in the 2001 edition of these examples, but for me, the biggest issue is that in essence, you are not really reading Roald Dahl anymore. If they keep up editing it like this, after 20 years it will be a completely different book and story xD 

I'm not sure who Joseph Conrad was, but Rudyard Kipling is 1 I have encountered before as apparently known equally as author of the Jungle Book (how many movie versions now?) and also as a racist. I presume an extreme 1 of some kind. Or maybe just a notorious & famous 1. Someone that people want to retroactively cancel now.

The middle 1 really is silly. Yes, women can do any job. But surely that example implies some level of shame on shop workers & receptionists. Both still highly staffed by female workers. And within the story, it means even if the woman seems normal, not doing wicked witch type things.

The whole story of The Witches would likely be next for some of those people.

And top example, well that's just taking what Roald Dahl himself is literally about & making it nice & fluffy & sweet & anything but the kids-horror that he wrote.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I'm not sure who Joseph Conrad was, but Rudyard Kipling is 1 I have encountered before as apparently known equally as author of the Jungle Book (how many movie versions now?) and also as a racist. I presume an extreme 1 of some kind. Or maybe just a notorious & famous 1. Someone that people want to retroactively cancel now.

Joseph Conrad wrote Heart of Darkness which is pretty much a condemnation of the Belgian colonialism in Congo, and European imperialism in general. It is also what Apocalypse Now was based on! So yeah, I get your point in regards of Kipling (well I mean I still don't condone it, but at least I can see the reasoning behind wanting to cancel him), but it makes absolutely no sense in case of Conrad. 

The whole thing is completely absurd...  

• Subscriber

Publisher of Roald Dahl books in French has ‘no plans’ for rewrite | Roald Dahl | The Guardian

Good news is that France doesn't give two shits about what the estate or Puffin want to do. Good for them. I have never understood the need to rewrite something that was a creative decision to match with modern society. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some leaked pictures of the new Snow White film has the 7 dwarves as regular sized people, amidst Disney removing 7 dwarves and simply titling it 'Snow White'. 

When did it become that dwarves were deemed as backwards or offensive? 

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Some leaked pictures of the new Snow White film has the 7 dwarves as regular sized people, amidst Disney removing 7 dwarves and simply titling it 'Snow White'. 

When did it become that dwarves were deemed as backwards or offensive? 

I watched this the other day. Here is your answer which explains how certain people think.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I watched this the other day. Here is your answer which explains how certain people think.

Bizarre world we live in where Piers Morgan doesn't come off as the biggest cunt on his show.

I don't even understand the bloke on the right's perspective in this discussion? First he talks about how straight people take gay roles away from gay actors (and how it's not fair because gay actors don't get straight roles... which lol has this guy ever heard of Gregory Peck) - so why's he okay with dwarf roles being taken by non-dwarves?

Second, he says he agrees with the dwarf actor and that the dwarf actor's perspective in this discussion is the most important perspective. So what's he even doing there arguing about inclusivity through excluding dwarf actors?

Tell you what though, Piers should give this guy a permanent role on the show and he'll make himself look a hell of a lot more likeable having this utter moron come in and think he's making good points by just being a cock to Piers. What an absolute bellend xD

8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This world is getting more fucked up by the minute... I am glad I am on the last legs of my tour of duty for want of a better word, I just don't think I could take another 40 years of this shit... 

Honestly ever day that I wake up, I'm fucking gutted I have to go through another day. And I've still got plenty of years left. It's fucking bullshit.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly ever day that I wake up, I'm fucking gutted I have to go through another day. And I've still got plenty of years left. It's fucking bullshit.

Us oldies have had our turn, time for you young-un's to step up now.. xD

20 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

This world is getting more fucked up by the minute... I am glad I am on the last legs of my tour of duty for want of a better word, I just don't think I could take another 40 years of this shit... 

You forgot ? You drank from the fountain of youth during Spanish campaigns in Caribbean. You are stuck here forever. 

21 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

My thoughts exactly, I am 67 and I have had enough.   I hate this modern world with a passion.  I still work 20 odd hours a week in Education and Government and this woke crap is getting worse and worse.

5 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

My thoughts exactly, I am 67 and I have had enough.   I hate this modern world with a passion.  I still work 20 odd hours a week in Education and Government and this woke crap is getting worse and worse.

This has nothing to do with 'woke' or not. This is just people bickering, 'woke' is actually an American term used by the Black communities to describe 'being aware of the societal and cultural disadvantages of being black'. Anti-wokeism is a concerned effort by conservative American media to undermine the Black communities by hijacking their own language with a negative connotation.

11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

American Cops are some of the most stupid yet power tripping people I've ever heard of. Not all of them, of course, but many. 

We aren’t speaking of individuals here, the police as an implemented concept in the USA is an unmitigated  failure on the basis of ‘protect and serve’, but a smashing success as a militant occupying force. They aren’t designed from top to bottom to be an asset for people to rely on for help or security despite what some good individuals do for their communities. They don’t foster healthy relationships with people or communities they just maintain ‘order’ under the implicit threat of violence. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

They don’t foster healthy relationships with people or communities they just maintain ‘order’ under the implicit threat of violence. 

Or in southern California, they just don't do anything because they got upset that people told them "don't kill black people for no reason" and at the calls to "defund the police" (which... I'm pretty certain no southern California city defunded their police departments, if anything their budgets were increased). So now we've got shit like crackheads stabbing people in broad daylight, grandmothers having their heads bashed in with hammers at the park, women getting raped at gunpoint... and the police hardly ever show up, or when they do it's something like 4-5 hours after their called.

The only time I've seen police react to any crimes quickly in the last couple of years is when CHP pulls someone over for speeding. Otherwise it's just horror stories of a group of entitled arseholes who are upset that people don't like them because they're shit at their jobs/racist murderers.

Archived