• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Generation 'Snowflake'

football forum

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

GMB is not news. There's your first problem...

It's mostly TV directed at housewives. And there's a lot of Karens among them. So they probably eat that shit up. 

• Administrator
Just now, Tommy said:

It's mostly TV directed at housewives. And there's a lot of Karens among them. So they probably eat that shit up. 

It's just an earlier session/equivalent of Loose Women. Moaning mainly about literally nothing that could impact anyone's day-to-day life but somehow they get the viewer's attention. It's not just misery that loves company, it's controversy, or perhaps needlessly controversial opinions that require no thought or have no relevance. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

It's just an earlier session/equivalent of Loose Women. Moaning mainly about literally nothing that could impact anyone's day-to-day life but somehow they get the viewer's attention. It's not just misery that loves company, it's controversy, or perhaps needlessly controversial opinions that require no thought or have no relevance. 

It's the television version of gossip mags and red tops

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It has always been during my lifetime that students would be more radical politically than their parents. Most go through a rebellious stage during their teenage years and also as students they start with very few assets unless they have rich and generous benefactors so tend towards more equal distribution of wealth. 

Now we have the social media generation and so called talk shows promoting a kind of thought control. It has a whiff of the Soviet Union about it by trying to trap those not conversant in their speaking ideology and can be used to stifle free speech for the unaware. Get worried when we are no longer called citizens yet must be called comrades.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

That's what they got mad about? I've read about the outrage and expected he said something way worse. 

They’re upset he got a third special I think - I don’t think any of them have watched it. Or they don’t like that he’s blamed the trans Twitter community’s abuse for his trans friend killing themselves for defending him.

But I really don’t think they’ve watched it because it sort of proves his point about their community online.

• 3 months later...

I never got this whole ‘generation snowflake’ thingo. As if there hasn’t been moral panics since history began. For fucks sake people thought the Beatles music was devil worshipping in the 60s. People were smashing and burning Beatles memorabilia when Lennon said ‘bigger than Jesus’.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

I never got this whole ‘generation snowflake’ thingo. As if there hasn’t been moral panics since history began. For fucks sake people thought the Beatles music was devil worshipping in the 60s. People were smashing and burning Beatles memorabilia when Lennon said ‘bigger than Jesus’.

Wasn't that just a US thing? 

There have always been people that have been more easily offended than others or  more sensitive than others. I dont personally think anyone can say what someone else should and shouldn't be offended by. Also I find with a lot of these people that call everyone else snowflakes is that they get offended when it is about something to do with them.

A lot of it is a generation clash I think. Every generation probably has a different idea of right and wrong. In fact people within the same generation can have very different ideas.

If you go back 20 years it was acceptable to be homophobic. 30 to 40 year it was acceptable to be racist. I'm sure when people started to say these things were wrong older people of that generation disagreed. 

The thing is in now days is people are very aware of what other people are thinking due to the internet, social media etc. So people will quite often able say that something might offend someone else. Where as before I dont think people did know quite so much.

The fact is that there are things we say now which will be unacceptable in 20 years from now. And we will look back on it the same way we do with stuff we look back on now as wrong 

25 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

There have always been people that have been more easily offended than others or  more sensitive than others. I dont personally think anyone can say what someone else should and shouldn't be offended by. Also I find with a lot of these people that call everyone else snowflakes is that they get offended when it is about something to do with them.

A lot of it is a generation clash I think. Every generation probably has a different idea of right and wrong. In fact people within the same generation can have very different ideas.

If you go back 20 years it was acceptable to be homophobic. 30 to 40 year it was acceptable to be racist. I'm sure when people started to say these things were wrong older people of that generation disagreed. 

The thing is in now days is people are very aware of what other people are thinking due to the internet, social media etc. So people will quite often able say that something might offend someone else. Where as before I dont think people did know quite so much.

The fact is that there are things we say now which will be unacceptable in 20 years from now. And we will look back on it the same way we do with stuff we look back on now as wrong 

Twenty years ago was 2002, it wasn’t acceptable to be homophobic. Nor do I think it was acceptable to be racist 30/40 years ago.  There may have been more instances of it but I do not for a second think it was acceptable

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Twenty years ago was 2002, it wasn’t acceptable to be homophobic. Nor do I think it was acceptable to be racist 30/40 years ago.  There may have been more instances of it but I do not for a second think it was acceptable

I wouldn't agree with that. Maybe not really homophobic but it was more acceptable. If you look at shows from the 80s andnthe 70s there is clear racism. In faulty towers black people are referred to as nigers and del used the term paki in only fools and horses.

Archived