talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Transfer Rumours 2018

football forum

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well Coutinho played the majority of his time here on the left side of the 3 forwards but more recently he was played behind the front 3. All were pretty interchangeable though and would pop up all over the place in a very fluent system. 

I’m not sure if Marhez has that versatility, the Leicester fans would know more than me? 

He has the ability to play in the middle but his natural position is on the right and the option of going on the left. As said though, his quality lies in his trickery and option to cut inside and send in the shots or crosses or take on the defender a bit further up the field. 

The problem with playing in the middle, for him, is that he gets crowded out and would lose the ball more. He flourishes in the freedom of the wing.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Obviously not. It’s just that you were condemning Suarez and Firmino yesterday yet today you are begging for Vardy xD

Vardy being racist doesn't count. He has fairytale privilege. Don't you know he once played non-league?

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Stan said:

his defensive work is under-rated.

It's improved a hell of a lot since he first came here. Nowadays you'll see him tracking back and helping out the RB but you have to bear in mind you need to play to his strengths which is finding him space so that he can run at defenders and allowing him to cut inside to cross/shoot. The other option being he can take it further up and take players on towards the byline. 

He'll work hard but it's overshadowed by players in our side who work even harder (Vardy, Okazaki, Albrighton etc). The advantage in our squad is that Danny Simpson (before getting injured) is fairly defensive and also has a good engine on him so was always there to cover. Mahrez always has his moments of great attacking quality. That's a given. What's more noticeable in the last 2-3 seasons is the moments he has when he gets back to help Simpson/other RB to block a cross or double up on a man. 

This. Often gets singled out as lazy but that's because a lot of our side are workhorses. I think for a flair player he's quite a hard worker. Definitely get more from him defensively than Hazard for example.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Vardy being racist doesn't count. He has fairytale privilege. Don't you know he once played non-league?

And turned down Arsenal, and won a league after Mbappe stopped wearing nappies.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

This. Often gets singled out as lazy but that's because a lot of our side are workhorses. I think for a flair player he's quite a hard worker. Definitely get more from him defensively than Hazard for example.

I think a Liverpool fan's concern would be if he could keep up the kind of workrate that Klopp tends to ask of our flair players - would he put in the kind of shift we saw from Coutinho or that we get from Lallana in the same role? Mahrez is definitely a very good player and if we brought him in, I'm sure we'd find a way to get him into the side playing productive football. But if we're talking like for like, I'm not sure how he'd do in our current system.

If we could get Leipzig to let us have Keita a bit early, that might be a better way for us to spend the money.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think a Liverpool fan's concern would be if he could keep up the kind of workrate that Klopp tends to ask of our flair players - would he put in the kind of shift we saw from Coutinho or that we get from Lallana in the same role? Mahrez is definitely a very good player and if we brought him in, I'm sure we'd find a way to get him into the side playing productive football. But if we're talking like for like, I'm not sure how he'd do in our current system.

If we could get Leipzig to let us have Keita a bit early, that might be a better way for us to spend the money.

I agree and in a way it doesn't make sense, like I've said before he's only really played in Salah's role for us and Salah is just undroppable at the minute the way he's playing.

I think he's got the ability to play any attacking role really in a side like yours where you're so strong going forward that you can compensate for players' shortcomings elsewhere (if that makes sense) whereas here it's a big ask. We just haven't got that talent going forward like Liverpool have.

I actually think we'll use up another life on him this window and we'll hold onto him once again. Summer though he's gone unless we miraculously come 4th.

Just now, Dan said:

I agree and in a way it doesn't make sense, like I've said before he's only really played in Salah's role for us and Salah is just undroppable at the minute the way he's playing.

I think he's got the ability to play any attacking role really in a side like yours where you're so strong going forward that you can compensate for players' shortcomings elsewhere (if that makes sense) whereas here it's a big ask. We just haven't got that talent going forward like Liverpool have.

I actually think we'll use up another life on him this window and we'll hold onto him once again. Summer though he's gone unless we miraculously come 4th.

I also think you'll hold onto him this window. I think after that, Arsenal will come calling and have a big fat bag of cash to throw at you though. At least, that's the big club that has the most obvious need for Mahrez in England right now. Ideally, if he was to leave Leicester I would like to see him go abroad - and I'm sure you would too.

I rate him highly, I'd prefer that he doesn't play against us or strengthen our rivals lol.

I think Liverpool fans concerned with his workrate are concerned with our side's biggest shortcoming - our defending is shiiiiite and we rely on that workrate from our forward players to help out the defense. Maybe the idea is VvD will give us a bit more defensive strength to where we don't need to defend from the front so much. But also some of the most trusted journos on LFC have said we've contacted Leicester to let them know it's not true and we're not after him. And I'm more inclined to believe them over the twitter bullshitters that sometimes get their tweets picked up by the Mirror/Daily Mail/the rag that must not be named/etc...

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I also think you'll hold onto him this window. I think after that, Arsenal will come calling and have a big fat bag of cash to throw at you though. At least, that's the big club that has the most obvious need for Mahrez in England right now. Ideally, if he was to leave Leicester I would like to see him go abroad - and I'm sure you would too.

I rate him highly, I'd prefer that he doesn't play against us or strengthen our rivals lol.

I think Liverpool fans concerned with his workrate are concerned with our side's biggest shortcoming - our defending is shiiiiite and we rely on that workrate from our forward players to help out the defense. Maybe the idea is VvD will give us a bit more defensive strength to where we don't need to defend from the front so much. But also some of the most trusted journos on LFC have said we've contacted Leicester to let them know it's not true and we're not after him. And I'm more inclined to believe them over the twitter bullshitters that sometimes get their tweets picked up by the Mirror/Daily Mail/the rag that must not be named/etc...

100% I'd take him going abroad over here but there's an obvious catch - money. Roma made about three bids for him in the summer and they got it up to about £30mil but we never budged. I don't think anyone would pay us the money we'd want abroad unless he kept up his form of the past few months but who? Barcelona won't sign him now, Real Madrid won't, Monaco possibly but I think they favour a policy of buying cheap and selling high, PSG possibly but I'd say unlikely.

Him being here might actually do you a favour as it gives us more chance of taking points off your rivals.

It's understandable to be concerned about his work rate and I think in all honesty you'd probably be a better and more balanced side for getting Keita in this month if you can. Not really convinced by your midfield either truth be told. Definitely room for improvement there.

Chelsea or Arsenal is the most logical move for Mahrez. Both could pay us big money and he'd start for both. Don't think he's quite as good as Sanchez but he's absolutely miles better than Iwobi or Walcott, and I think he gets into that Chelsea attacking trio too alongside Morata and Hazard.

I'm resigned to losing him, I just hope we manage to take in a massive fee when it happens.

Just now, Dan said:

I'm resigned to losing him, I just hope we manage to take in a massive fee when it happens.

I'm sure you would. He's quality and the transfer market is fucking insane now - I couldn't see him getting sold for anything less than £40m. With the (most likely) bullshit rumours that we're looking to bring him in for £55m... I'd say that Leicester could now say that this is the fair market value for him and have the bidding start there.

I think there'll be a lot of clubs interested in him. As you say, Chelsea and Arsenal make lots of sense to him. Chelsea signing him would be a bit funny after they took Kante and Drinkwater off your hands - sort of like what we do with Southampton lol - but I do think he makes sense to bring in. And Arsenal I think are the club most screaming out for him when they either lose Sanchez on a free or if he moves this January.

When did Roma make the bids for him? Was it after we signed Salah? That would make sense, as he'd be a sort of replacement. But I do remember they had to sell Rudiger because they needed to sell in order to make further signings. So I suppose it depends on how their finances are looking, if they sell anyone else as to whether they're a realistic option for him to go to... because I can't see him going as cheaply as they wanted to sign him at all. Especially after the way the summer and this January has gone with high profile players.

5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

If we can get over £25m for Sanchez I think we'd have done well. He's not playing brilliantly this season, only has 6 months left on his contract and Man City don't even need him.

Could Sanchez play in the Champions League for City since he's only played in the Europa League this season? I can never remember which way round it is

17 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Could Sanchez play in the Champions League for City since he's only played in the Europa League this season? I can never remember which way round it is

Don't think a player is allowed to play for 2 different teams in European competitions in the same season. Don't actually know why, maybe it's too much work for admin to write "Arsenal/Man City" next to his stats instead of just "Arsenal".

8 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Don't think a player is allowed to play for 2 different teams in European competitions in the same season. Don't actually know why, maybe it's too much work for admin to write "Arsenal/Man City" next to his stats instead of just "Arsenal".

Just googled it and the rule isn't quite what I thought. You're right but with one exception:

"one player per club who would normally be cup-tied can be registered and eligible to play, so long as his previous club did not field him in the same competition." (per Wikipedia)

47 minutes ago, 6666 said:

If we can get over £25m for Sanchez I think we'd have done well. He's not playing brilliantly this season, only has 6 months left on his contract and Man City don't even need him.

We do need him, Jesus is out for a few months so only got Aguero left in the striker department and he can go down at anytime,  we need a striker and CB, maybe a LB too this window

Alexis Sanchez waives £25m signing-on fee to push through Manchester City transfer this month

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/08/alexis-sanchez-waives-25m-signing-fee-push-manchester-city-transfer-month-7214551/?ito=cbshare

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm sure you would. He's quality and the transfer market is fucking insane now - I couldn't see him getting sold for anything less than £40m. With the (most likely) bullshit rumours that we're looking to bring him in for £55m... I'd say that Leicester could now say that this is the fair market value for him and have the bidding start there.

I think there'll be a lot of clubs interested in him. As you say, Chelsea and Arsenal make lots of sense to him. Chelsea signing him would be a bit funny after they took Kante and Drinkwater off your hands - sort of like what we do with Southampton lol - but I do think he makes sense to bring in. And Arsenal I think are the club most screaming out for him when they either lose Sanchez on a free or if he moves this January.

When did Roma make the bids for him? Was it after we signed Salah? That would make sense, as he'd be a sort of replacement. But I do remember they had to sell Rudiger because they needed to sell in order to make further signings. So I suppose it depends on how their finances are looking, if they sell anyone else as to whether they're a realistic option for him to go to... because I can't see him going as cheaply as they wanted to sign him at all. Especially after the way the summer and this January has gone with high profile players.

Chelsea makes more sense simply because they're in the Champions League and I think it's far more likely they are again next year than Arsenal.

I genuinely think having seen Van Dijk go for £75mil and Coutinho go for £145mil, that we wouldn't take £55mil, unless we've got an agreement with him - which is a bit of a fucker as the market's gone even more mad since that agreement would've been made.

Roma made the bids after selling Salah yeah, but in all honesty they were never going to pay what we wanted. They were giving all kinds of crap to us for not accepting their offer as well. I do find it mental how we can have more power here than Roma, just shows how much power the PL has now.

Monaco I thought made sense due to the Bernardo Silva void but as I said they have a policy to spend little and sell for a lot. I say spend little, they paid £25mil for Balde Keita in the summer I think which isn't little, but it is compared to the sorts of fees you're talking for what we'd want now.

I'd be a bit sick if he did end up at Chelsea. Three of our best players from that year all reunited, all in blue, all playing against us. Sickening. Yet annoyingly they make the most sense out of any club to me.

I think Spurs would be a good destination for him but they're in Monaco's boat. They won't pay our price.

• The title was changed to Premier League Transfer Rumours 2018
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived