• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Wednesday 4th April - Liverpool 3-0 Man City (QF 1st Leg)

Recommended Posts

liverpool 1-2 man city

as long as we get an away goal we will be in good shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home game against City who will be looking to make good on the last time we beat them even though they scored. I peg us to win here but to concede as well.

Liverpool 2/3 - City 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was first-leg at the Etihad I'm sure Liverpool would play as normal, hope for a back-and-forth match and accept a deficit if it meant getting some away goals. 

He's said there will be no-bus parking, and Monaco beat City last season by playing two mental matches, but that was with the first leg in Manchester, and he must know how massive it will be if they can keep a clean sheet considering Guardiola's knockouts from 2012-2016.

Chelsea 2012: 1:0 away, Barca have to go all-out at home, concede the away goal and can't get back into it.

Real 2014: 1:0 away, Bayern go into the home match flying and get annihilated on the break and on set pieces.

Barcelona 2015: not really like the others, no away goal but it was 3-0 battering and tie was dead before the 2nd leg.

Atleti 2016: 1:0 away, Bayern batter them at home but still let Atleti grab the away goal to go through.

We've seen Liverpool vary it a little bit this season between their usual approach and their 4-4-1-1 kinda shape where they sit in a middle-ish block and try to go on the break. In all likelihood it will be two intense matches with no clean sheets, but I'd be interested to see if Klopp does play it more cautiously at home, considering that Guardiola is likely going to try and dominate both legs. It might make sense to mix it up.

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see Liverpool getting anything, okay the beat them once but not again. If Manchester City play as they can they should win comfortably.

At worst and they do lose I think they'd still get a couple of goals to give them something to go home with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got the potential to cause problems with our attack. But Citeh on paper are just a very fucking good side and it will take two very good performances to see us through this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with Liverpool in this one, if they can get the defense working on the night i could see them causing serious problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Liverpool would be looking at a more even chance if City hadn't wrapped up the league already. With things as they are I'd go 75/25 in City's favour over two legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goes without saying but we can't really slow then to score two goals at our place. We need a win margin of at least 2 goals to get through this round if you ask me. 

That being said I think the first leg will be 2-2 unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the centreback pairing picks itself with Matip out for the season and Klavan unlikely to play while carrying a knock. Lovren and Van Dijk - but an injury here would be pretty devastating. Gomez is out, Clyne hasn't played in fucking ages, and TAA is no good defensively and he'd be marking Sane... that seems like a bad situation no matter how you slice it, a rusty Clyne or a defensively questionable TAA. With Can and Lallana out, the selection for the midfield is a bit more simple. I think Wijnaldum's got to play - when he came off the last time we played Citeh, they came back into it - whereas when he was on the midfield battle was won. No Can means Henderson is nailed on - which I think should have been the case anyways. And then the question is Milner v. the Ox. I'd go with Chamberlain because of his ability to drive into space.

If not for the fact we will need a midfielder on the bench for depth, I'd say it might be worth it to give Milner a run out at RB in this match, rather than a Clyne lacking match fitness or TAA getting run ragged by Sane.

I've got confidence in our front 3 to create problems. It's up to our midfield to keep the supply to them and to harass the fuck out of Citeh, and for our defense (and side overall generally) to limit mistakes against what is probably one of the top 3 teams remaining in the competition and by far the best English side.

So it'll be fucking tough and I don't expect us to make it through this round. But it would be very fucking cool, because if we can beat them over two legs I'm confident we have a real chance.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well the centreback pairing picks itself with Matip out for the season and Klavan unlikely to play while carrying a knock. Lovren and Van Dijk - but an injury here would be pretty devastating. Gomez is out, Clyne hasn't played in fucking ages, and TAA is no good defensively and he'd be marking Sane... that seems like a bad situation no matter how you slice it, a rusty Clyne or a defensively questionable TAA. With Can and Lallana out, the selection for the midfield is a bit more simple. I think Wijnaldum's got to play - when he came off the last time we played Citeh, they came back into it - whereas when he was on the midfield battle was won. No Can means Henderson is nailed on - which I think should have been the case anyways. And then the question is Milner v. the Ox. I'd go with Chamberlain because of his ability to drive into space.

If not for the fact we will need a midfielder on the bench for depth, I'd say it might be worth it to give Milner a run out at RB in this match, rather than a Clyne lacking match fitness or TAA getting run ragged by Sane.

I've got confidence in our front 3 to create problems. It's up to our midfield to keep the supply to them and to harass the fuck out of Citeh, and for our defense (and side overall generally) to limit mistakes against what is probably one of the top 3 teams remaining in the competition and by far the best English side.

So it'll be fucking tough and I don't expect us to make it through this round. But it would be very fucking cool, because if we can beat them over two legs I'm confident we have a real chance.

Pretty much agree with all that. 

Basically, we are out xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

They tried it at Newcastle a few years ago. Didn't take off.

why did Liverpool try and serve Newcastle fans at their seats? No wonder it didn't work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

why did Liverpool try and serve Newcastle fans at their seats? No wonder it didn't work. 

Part of the Andy Carroll deal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They tried it at Newcastle a few years ago. Didn't take off.

Only because the waiters couldn't squeeze past all them bellies to get to people mate... they are a bit thinner at Anfield 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Only because the waiters couldn't squeeze past all them bellies to get to people mate... they are a bit thinner at Anfield 

They might be thinner but just wait til they get someone's order wrong and have to tell them to calm down

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They might be thinner but just wait til they get someone's order wrong and have to tell them to calm down

Image result for calm down calm down gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Only because the waiters couldn't squeeze past all them bellies to get to people mate... they are a bit thinner at Anfield 

 

4 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They might be thinner but just wait til they get someone's order wrong and have to tell them to calm down

won't they just steal each other's orders at Anfield :ph34r:?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's some American shite right there, which I suppose makes sense because we've got American owners. I wonder if the trial is them trying to prove that it's a viable business model for Anfield, or if the club is paying this company for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame you can't order booze to your seat. A pint of bitter to your seat at Anfield would be fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Pep,

Weak lineup tonight please. We all want you giving United a spanking this weekend and you winning the title in front of their faces. Please keep that as a priority.

Love,

Gonzo

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see a way we're gonna win this over 2 legs, They will surely score at least a couple tonight it just depends how many we can score and what kind of advantage we can bring to the Etihad. I reckon it will be 3-2 to Liverpool tonight but who the fuck knows really it's an unpredictable game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say Liverpool are more fortunate the 2nd leg is at the Ethiad 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henderson was behind me driving up to Anfield down Utting Ave this afternoon in his Bentley. This was like 12:30 so was a bit surprised as I didn’t think the players arrived that early?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Henderson was behind me driving up to Anfield down Utting Ave this afternoon in his Bentley. This was like 12:30 so was a bit surprised as I didn’t think the players arrived that early?

Probably video training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Henderson was behind me driving up to Anfield down Utting Ave this afternoon in his Bentley. This was like 12:30 so was a bit surprised as I didn’t think the players arrived that early?

he needs all the training he can get tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement