talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger to Step Down at End of the Season

football forum

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Banter aside he was a good manager for Arsenal, probably led them in one of the best seasons in the history of the club. To be 22 years in one club is quite an achievement, and not including the past few or more seasons he did enough to be respected not just by the Arsenal fans, but football fans in general. Only thing that i would change if i was him is that this should have happened a lot earlier he would then go down on a high note. Then who knows he might win the Europa League and have a legendary farewell.

This is the problem with Arsenal, alot of people only know Arsene Wenger as they have left him in charge for so long, when other clubs have brought in new coaches to win big things.  Wenger does leave behind a lot of good from the past but that was from a long time ago to be honest, the present team he has at the moment is probably one of the worse since the early 80's, it just shows how bad his last few years have been which again is not just down to him, the club need to take responsibility and pick up the pieces now.    It does look like Patrick Vieira is coming to replace him as Wenger has mentioned him a few times in his final statement so I would think it is down to Wenger if Patrick does get the job.   

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

I do wonder how it will burst. I think it'll implode in to itself because it is getting ridiculous now because of how many billions and billions of pounds/dollars that are in the game now. 

It will probably go down the American sports route and ban transfer fees. 

3 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

This is the problem with Arsenal, alot of people only know Arsene Wenger as they have left him in charge for so long, when other clubs have brought in new coaches to win big things.  Wenger does leave behind a lot of good from the past but that was from a long time ago to be honest, the present team he has at the moment is probably one of the worse since the early 80's, it just shows how bad his last few years have been which again is not just down to him, the club need to take responsibility and pick up the pieces now.    It does look like Patrick Vieira is coming to replace him as Wenger has mentioned him a few times in his final statement so I would think it is down to Wenger if Patrick does get the job.   

Not sure about Vieira, I would say Arteta is more likely than him. Honestly I don't think you can call it right now. Gazidis, Sanllehi and Minsilat all have different opinions on who should be next apparently.

Just now, Chaaay AFC said:

Not sure about Vieira, I would say Arteta is more likely than him. Honestly I don't think you can call it right now. Gazidis, Sanllehi and Minsilat all have different opinions on who should be next apparently.

They have already agreed a replacement, that is why Wenger is leaving. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Breaking now. 

What a career he's had. Wonder what's next for him and Arsenal?

I feel this decision was a little premature.

He should've given it one more year... One last crack at winning the title. 

He created the best side I can remember watching in England, Arsenal between 2002-2006ish were simply a joy to behold. People may say this Manchester City side are as good or better but I don't see enough of them. For that alone he has his place in history. Since then he seems to have fallen behind, obviously the oil baron clubs have jumped the queue somewhat but I think Wenger has struggled to keep up with football, Arsenal are not paupers and have spent money but have been declining for a while. The cup triumphs have somewhat diluted the sense of decline but it was decline all the same. They look easily the worst of the top 6 at the moment and have been for a while, a new manager is necessary and it's good he's taken that decision.

Will definitely go down as one of the greats for Arsenal and English football.

It's about time. Now the fans know what's happening, I think they need to make sure they get behind Wenger in these last few games and give him a great send off.

I will be hoping for Wenger's own personal sake now, that he can leave on a high by winning the Europa League and getting Champions League football for Arsenal.

That would be very fitting and deserved ending for a man that has given Arsenal their best moments as a club. Those feats will never be forgotton.

I hope Rodgers doesn't take over but I've got a feeling he will. It wont be tuchel he is going to PSG. Could be emery maybe.

In regards to Wenger going. I think it was coming. He has done a great job. Arsenal are definitely in a better place than they were before he was there. 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It's about time. Now the fans know what's happening, I think they need to make sure they get behind Wenger in these last few games and give him a great send off.

I will be hoping for Wenger's own personal sake now, that he can leave on a high by winning the Europa League and getting Champions League football for Arsenal.

That would be very fitting and deserved ending for a man that has given Arsenal their best moments as a club. Those feats will never be forgotton.

Would be a fitting end for him and the club.... the fairy tale ending I suppose... 

Here's hoping he ends it in fitting style and not like Buffon did... 

20 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Do hope that they win the Europa League. Ive nothing against Arsenal or Wenger and he deserves to go out on a high after all these years.

Nothing against Wenger but certainly don't want them winning the Europa. No CL football and a bad next appointment could see them like us post-Benitez

26 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Nothing against Wenger but certainly don't want them winning the Europa. No CL football and a bad next appointment could see them like us post-Benitez

Financially Arsenal are a better run club than you, don't think they'll follow in your footsteps.

• The title was changed to Arsenal Fans Slam 'Disgraceful' Thierry Henry After 'Snubbing' Wenger Send-Off

Archived