talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Or just Champions, like the name says.

I'm curious how many CL winners were actual league champions the previous year? 

Wouldn't shock me if it were around 75% over the past 20 years, but I'm too lazy to do the work to find out exactly. 

11 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm curious how many CL winners were actual league champions the previous year? 

Wouldn't shock me if it were around 75% over the past 20 years, but I'm too lazy to do the work to find out exactly. 

It’s happened at least six times since 2012, three for Real Madrid, twice for Chelsea and once for Liverpool.

I actually I think I misread the stats, I think it has happene ven more because Barcelona won in 15 but didn’t win the 14 league

Edited by Spike

I posted this in the La Liga section, but not sure if anyone else saw it. 

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/02/09/la-liga-exclude-real-madrid-and-barcelona-officials-as-superleague-gains-traction

The President of La Liga, Tebas, is trying to exclude officials from Barcelona and Real Madrid from upcoming talks on the future of the league, as they are two of the main factors driving the new Super League. 

From the article and others I have read, it does appear that even after the appeals from fans over the idea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are still committed to the idea. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

European Super League: Supporters of breakaway 'like wolf in Little Red Riding Hood'

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin has criticised supporters of the European Super League and compared them to the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood.

Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona are still keen to push ahead with amended plans for the project.

In December, Uefa and Fifa were backed by the European Courts of Justice in their bid to block the creation of a European Super League..........

• 8 months later...
  • Subscriber

Can't copy a tweet here for some reason but basically the courts have ruled that UEFA and FIFA can't block the Super League and shouldn't have been able to 2 years ago so expect this to flare up again as I don't think the Spanish clubs have lost interest. I strongly expect the rest of the greedy bastards to eventually fall in line as well once they decide they don't care about the backlash we saw last time when there's money to be had.

Yes, you can very easily see a new European competition at some time soon, that is even more blatantly about ensuring favoured names (cash generators) get a guaranteed seat at the table (Chelsea are already in a World Club Championship next year or sometime soon..) even when mid table in their domestic league. For a 2nd season. While someone less fancied can be ripping it up, but will have to jump through 5 hoops & turn cartwheels.

Basically an extension of what it is now.

It's easy to forget, in an alternate reality, Everton had a resurgence in the early 2000's, with a mega rich owner. Manchester City were not acquired & transformed into the Harlem Globetrotters, because Manchester United were nobody. etc. etc. People, clubs, pundits, fans, especially of only the 'elite' in general, do tend to forget how it was they got 'elite' in the first place. By doors being left open.

I'll certainly never watch 1 second of a closed doors NFL Euro Soccer League. But, it could happen. In one form of another.

This is the problem with European football now. It’s easy as a Premier League club to say we don’t want it, well it is for the “big” clubs, because they benefit the most from the financial power of the league.

In terms of what they can spend clubs in Spain, Italy and Germany fall far behind. Something like this is always going to be inevitable if the Premier League were to remain as powerful as it is.

• Upvote 1

I've been listening to Simon Jordan on TalkSport quite a bit. Who has this UEFA are not entitled to own football take. And I do think some rival could take over European club football if the sales pitch was very, very good. But where I think he is missing something & the European court too perhaps, is that this is not Tesco preventing Asda, Morrisons, etc. The FA-UEFA-FIFA is a coherent chain of sporting governance. Even Boxing fans do not really like having 6 or 7 governing bodies. No football fans want a complex, diluted, elitist vs the others scenario. Like darts had for many years (not sure if there are still 2 world champions)

But, if English clubs say no, it will not happen. It does seem to me purely to get Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc, etc, getting a better deal, to keep them competitive with Premier League sides. In an Americanised sales pitch.

• Subscriber

UEFA isn't perfect but the Super League idea and the format behind it, while it might be fun in a way as a spectator, basically means that all of those "minor" European clubs have even less to play for. The Champions League gives the likes of Shakhtar, Celtic, Crvena Zvezda (spelling) who can never compete anymore because of the quality of their league and the likes of Newcastle and Union Berlin who come from a decent league but have been unable to qualify because of the rigid pecking order, the reward of facing Real Madrid or Milan straight away whereas under the Super League proposals they'd only get into a third tier European competition and then have to get promoted two more times to face the elite.

Barcelona and Real Madrid and possibly some of the Italian clubs want this because the advancement of the Premier League compared to La Liga has left them unable to compete financially without putting themselves into millions and millions of pounds of debt.