talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Player of the Season?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the course of this season, he's put in the best defensive performances I've seen over the course of a season since the heyday of Sami Hyypia (who IMO is the best defender I've seen in my life as a Liverpool fan, sorry Carra). I hope he stays here for a long time and keeps performing at this, because a few more years of this and I think we can safely say he's the best Liverpool defender of my lifetime. I doubt he can give us as many great years as Hyypia, because Hyypai came younger and gave us 10 excellent years, but I'll take as many years of big Virgil playing like this for as long as we can pleeeeease.

Sterling for me. The improvement in both quality and consistency under Guardiola is massive (like Citeh's floodlights). Van Dijk obviously worth a shout too. What a beast. I also have to mention Son because I fucking love him. Proper player with a proper mentality. 

• Subscriber

Deserved winner. I think the most crucial point that people made about him is that if you take Sterling out of Man City, they can probably cope. Take van Dijk out of Liverpool and they're possibly fucked.

I was so wrong about van Dijk. Always thought he was a bit clumsy but he's just brilliant.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Awards were done tonight:

It's nice Sterling gets an award for the year he's had but I don't understand the logic in having as 7th season 150+ game career player eligible for young player of the year.

You could confidantly reduce the cap to 22 and not even sweat it.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Harry said:

It's nice Sterling gets an award for the year he's had but I don't understand the logic in having as 7th season 150+ game career player eligible for young player of the year.

You could confidantly reduce the cap to 22 and not even sweat it.

28 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Young player of the Year isn't he like 24+?

I agree. Should be a limit to 22 years old (21 at the start of the season). 

Even then though you still could have had years of experience (for example Rooney has 6 years by that age, but it is rare). 

Perhaps they need to introduce more categories other than age and base it more on experience - max 2 years PL experience, certain number of internationals in last 12-24 months. 

• Subscriber

It was VVD hands down over Stirling for me, a lot of Sterlings goals came via assists from De Bruyne and others, any good team needs a strong leader in defence and VVD is just that, he reminds me a lot like United's former defender Rio Ferdinand. 

8 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

It was VVD hands down over Stirling for me, a lot of Sterlings goals came via assists from De Bruyne and others, any good team needs a strong leader in defence and VVD is just that, he reminds me a lot like United's former defender Rio Ferdinand. 

De Bruyne has hardly played this season :coffee:

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

from De Bruyne and other's...

Lol, don't get me wrong Blue, Sterling is a good player but I would have Agüero over him any day, saying that also I would take Stirling in the United side and City can have Lukaku in exchange but I think Pep would tell me to fuck off!!  xD

The Netherlands always seem to produce great footballers with the likes of Van Basten, Cruyff, Bergkamp, Rudd Van Nistelrooy to name a few and now VVD has appeared on the scene as one of the best. 

3 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Lol, don't get me wrong Blue, Sterling is a good player but I would have Agüero over him any day, saying that also I would take Stirling in the United side and City can have Lukaku in exchange but I think Pep would tell me to fuck off!!  xD

The Netherlands always seem to produce great footballers with the likes of Van Basten, Cruyff, Bergkamp, Rudd Van Nistelrooy to name a few and now VVD has appeared on the scene as one of the best. 

With Aguero at the end of his career I'd keep Sterling for sure if a had to pick, plus he's improved every season (bar his 1st one for us when he was below par after leaving Liverpool) he's about 3 years off his best football too ..and yep, Pep would tell you to get fucked 🤣 ..I did like Lukaku before he came to England 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

With Aguero at the end of his career I'd keep Sterling for sure if a had to pick, plus he's improved every season (bar his 1st one for us when he was below par after leaving Liverpool) he's about 3 years off his best football too ..and yep, Pep would tell you to get fucked 🤣 ..I did like Lukaku before he came to England 

Our son who is a Liverpool supporter has never forgiven Sterling for leaving his Pool, every time I mention Sterling's name to him and say "I bet you wish you had him back now?" all he will say is "No thanks, he is a fucking traitor",  xD

7 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Our son who is a Liverpool supporter has never forgiven Sterling for leaving his Pool, every time I mention Sterling's name to him and say "I bet you wish you had him back now?" all he will say is "No thanks, he is a fucking traitor",  xD

Sterling was clearly badly advised in the way he went about leaving Liverpool but you can't blame him for leaving at the time he did. You had Brendan Rodgers playing one of, if not the most talented English attacker at the time as a fucking wing back for periods that season. 

22 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Sterling was clearly badly advised in the way he went about leaving Liverpool but you can't blame him for leaving at the time he did. You had Brendan Rodgers playing one of, if not the most talented English attacker at the time as a fucking wing back for periods that season. 

Yep. It went badly. He was a young kid though and had a greedy agent that didn't seem to care how badly his player looked through the whole process of making the move happen.

His agent did him a massive disservice with that and I actually feel for him because at his age feeling that level of hate would be tough. It's worked out though. He's been developed well and I'm quite happy with our replacement. I wouldn't swap him back for Mane now even though I rate him very very highly.

Archived