talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Player of the Season?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cannabis said:

Been pretty disappointing to be honest after coming over with so much hype, not a single goal to his name yet? 

Maybe so - but he wasn't a scorer here. He basically gave Josef 80% of his goals. He created a ton of space and intensity. 

So, while he isn't scoring, I would say that Newcastle look a LOT more dangerous since he arrived. 

19 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Been pretty disappointing to be honest after coming over with so much hype, not a single goal to his name yet? 

Is that the best metric to look at when judging fullbacks? Having said that, I think he's been just above average at best tbh.

Wait wtf am I talking about, he's not really a fullback is he. xD

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is that the best metric to look at when judging fullbacks? Having said that, I think he's been just above average at best tbh.

Wait wtf am I talking about, he's not really a fullback is he. xD

Anything but xD 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

De Bruyne? Hes been injured half the season. 

Makes no difference to me, that guy will come back from injury yet still score the goals and add the assists, a lot of Sterling's goals have come via De Bruyne. :D

Just now, CaaC - John said:

Makes no difference to me, that guy will come back from injury yet still score the goals and add the assists, a lot of Sterling's goals have come via De Bruyne. :D

Hes a great player, I'm not disputing that mate. But hes miles away from being POTY in my opinion. 

14 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

How can it not be Sterling?? ..what a season he has had and can still win a domestic quad (on less the last few weeks turns to shit xD)  ..Pep has improved him so much

Sterling has been POTY in terms of a player who has most greatly exceeded what was expected of him by the majority of people but looking simply at the contribution he's had a year on par with other players. That said I could easily see him winning the award because the FA are always keen to recognise the English talents the most prominently and it results in a sway in most subjective decisions, even those not made directly by the association.

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aguero's the only one of those 3 players listed that's a real out and out striker. Sterling and Salah are both wide forwards - who're expected to chip in with goals and assists.

Either way, statistically with Salah and Aguero on 19 goals, 7 assists, and Sterling on 17 goals, 9 assists... we're talking about 3 players that have played a direct part in 26 goals exactly at this stage of the season. Honestly, it's a bit shit the voting for this comes before the close of the season... because we're never really going to know who the best attacker over the course of the season is until it's all over.

But since it's not all over, I think it's reeeaally close between Aguero, Salah and Sterling. Salah comes off looking worse because last season he was unfuckingplayable, but he's still having a great season despite that goal drought - and despite that goal drought is top scorer still. Aguero I think is just a perennially underrated player despite being one of the best strikers in the history of the league - it's sort of weird tbh. And Sterling's having his best ever year and has built on an already very good season. I also think the fact that he's had some good appearances for England after the World Cup are kind of boosting his profile a bit.

But I don't think you can definitively pick one between any of those 3. I think they're the 3 best attackers in the league by far. Other options you could throw in would be Hazard - but I'd say his goal output compared to other attackers lets him down here. Mane - but here I'd say his assist output doesn't compare to other attackers ahead of him. Son's a great player, but he shouldn't be in the running with 12 goals & 6 assists - I don't think many people would put Bobby Firmino as a candidate for POTY, but he's got better stats than Son. Both great players, both shouldn't be in contention for POTY.

It's just so close between those top 3 attacking players, whereas I think the player that's made the biggest impact on their club this season is a defender. And defenders generally speaking never win this award, so I think this year where a standout player is a defender it would be very cool for a defender to win it. So that's why for me it's Virgil.

I'm honestly surprised you would posit Salah up in contention ahead of Mane for this. The stats don't lie but at the same time it feels to me that a lot more points have been won off Mane than Mo or Bobby this year. For me he has been the clear outstanding player from our attack and that's not just a bias of Salah relative the high of last year.

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

De Bruyne? Hes been injured half the season. 

Fully agree, De Bruyne has missed too much football and is only now just hitting top form again, he is the best player in the league but he hasn't had the best season due to injury

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Sterling has been POTY in terms of a player who has most greatly exceeded what was expected of him by the majority of people but looking simply at the contribution he's had a year on par with other players. That said I could easily see him winning the award because the FA are always keen to recognise the English talents the most prominently and it results in a sway in most subjective decisions, even those not made directly by the association.

I'm honestly surprised you would posit Salah up in contention ahead of Mane for this. The stats don't lie but at the same time it feels to me that a lot more points have been won off Mane than Mo or Bobby this year. For me he has been the clear outstanding player from our attack and that's not just a bias of Salah relative the high of last year.

The stats don’t lie though.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The stats don’t lie though.

They don't. But they only show who scored the most goals and assists. Not who was more important to the team or who won us the most games.

20190420_002359.jpg

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

They don't. But they only show who scored the most goals and assists. Not who was more important to the team or who won us the most games.

20190420_002359.jpg

Yeah but they also don’t show things like who had shots on goal that led to own goals (like Salah’s shot that ended up past Lloris in what was probably our most important league match of the season at that point).

I think you’d actually be surprised at how many important goals Salah has scored and created this season. It’s just not as obvious how good he’s been this season because he doesn’t look anywhere near as good as last year when he was scoring for fun. I also think part of the reason Mane’s scoring more is because there’s more defensive attention on Salah. Yet Salah’s still having a good season with quality attacking output despite it being considered a poor season.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he’s player of the season by any stretch. But I do think he’s ahead of Mane in the discussion. Both are having a great season.

Bernardo Silva’s one that’s not been mentioned in the thread yet that’s worth a shout. Yeah he’s not as good as KdB, but he’s been great this season and been great all season long. I also wouldn’t give it to him though 

• Subscriber

Sterling or Van Dijk. Hazard or Mane would be 3rd for me. Think Hazard will be overlooked but I think without him Chelsea aren't even near the top 6 this year tbh.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bernardo Silva’s one that’s not been mentioned in the thread yet that’s worth a shout. Yeah he’s not as good as KdB, but he’s been great this season and been great all season long. I also wouldn’t give it to him though 

True. Wonderful player to watch. Similar vein to how his namesake plays as well. Both very fluid players with bags of skill but make things look so easy. 

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but they also don’t show things like who had shots on goal that led to own goals (like Salah’s shot that ended up past Lloris in what was probably our most important league match of the season at that point).

I think you’d actually be surprised at how many important goals Salah has scored and created this season. It’s just not as obvious how good he’s been this season because he doesn’t look anywhere near as good as last year when he was scoring for fun. I also think part of the reason Mane’s scoring more is because there’s more defensive attention on Salah. Yet Salah’s still having a good season with quality attacking output despite it being considered a poor season.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he’s player of the season by any stretch. But I do think he’s ahead of Mane in the discussion. Both are having a great season.

Agree with most of this. There was a point earlier in the season where Salah was scoring the first goal in games we were going on to win, two or three 1-0 wins in there too.

One thing I will say in Sterling's favour is that in the matches where Sterling doesn't have any goal involvement (no goal, no assist) Manchester City have lost points in the league. I think despite having the same amount of goal involvements as both Aguero and Salah, that does make him the more influential attacker in the league.

But I still think it's silly they vote for this before the season's over. In a league where the title is so close, I feel like if City win it then the POTY is their most influential player - and if we win the league then the POTY is our most influential player. But it's decided before that which is just silly.

It's hard to pick a Man City player tbh because going forward they're more of a mechanistic side where each player is given quite a narrow repetitive role. You could say Sterling because of how big an end product he's provided this season, and equally Bernardo Silva for being the main creative force, or even Fernandinho because the whole team is hugely reliant on him for balance. 

Sterling is the standout because he's young and English.

I think if not Sterling it should be Van Dijk, Hazard, or Mane.

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

One thing I will say in Sterling's favour is that in the matches where Sterling doesn't have any goal involvement (no goal, no assist) Manchester City have lost points in the league. I think despite having the same amount of goal involvements as both Aguero and Salah, that does make him the more influential attacker in the league.

But I still think it's silly they vote for this before the season's over. In a league where the title is so close, I feel like if City win it then the POTY is their most influential player - and if we win the league then the POTY is our most influential player. But it's decided before that which is just silly.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/how-many-points-the-premier-leagues-top-12-scorers-have-won-their-clubs/

Looking at this article from Feb it seems Sterling hadn't won a while lot of points off his own bat. But that system penalizes City players because they win every game by 4 goals. 

Archived