talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

I think that's what explains the Mertens rumor. Lampard wants a versatile striker. 

Matter of fact, we have so many versatile players. Mertens can play LF and as a second striker. Ziyech can play CAM and RW. Mount can play LW and CAM. Ruben as a CAM or CM. There's even Gallagher on loan who can virtually play any single position in midfield. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool supporters will be very happy that Timo is talking to Chelsea.  he will not have a happy time in the PL - he is too soft and his International games have been poor when facing tough opposition.  When the going gets tough he always drifts out of the picture and although my guys in the BL tell me what a nice guy he really is on and off the pitch, he lacks the sort of hardness the PL will need.  Joel was a really tough kid, but he has struggled at times at Anfield and only Sead and Kristian of our others have been able to put up with the English game - even young Leroy has suffered from the attention he got and will be away in a few months time.  I really hope I'm wrong this time, but Timo should stay in Germany where his fans will always accept the sort of in/out game he plays.

8 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Liverpool supporters will be very happy that Timo is talking to Chelsea.  he will not have a happy time in the PL - he is too soft and his International games have been poor when facing tough opposition.  When the going gets tough he always drifts out of the picture and although my guys in the BL tell me what a nice guy he really is on and off the pitch, he lacks the sort of hardness the PL will need.  Joel was a really tough kid, but he has struggled at times at Anfield and only Sead and Kristian of our others have been able to put up with the English game - even young Leroy has suffered from the attention he got and will be away in a few months time.  I really hope I'm wrong this time, but Timo should stay in Germany where his fans will always accept the sort of in/out game he plays.

Another for the list of failed attacking signings for Chelsea then, will take a while to offload him with those wages. Think they had a good thing with Tammy as the target man, with Pulisic and Willian /or a new signing on the wings. With Giroud signing a new deal I thought they would prioritise a new centre back or a replacement for William/Pedro.

Fucking hell, the contract hasn't even been signed and people are out in their choirs singing about a failure. xD Yeah, all those dimunitive Italians and Spaniards also failed because they were too soft for England. Talk about whataboutism from everyone.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Fucking hell, the contract hasn't even been signed and people are out in their choirs singing about a failure. xD Yeah, all those dimunitive Italians and Spaniards also failed because they were too soft for England. Talk about whataboutism from everyone.

I remember people saying Silva would struggle with the physicality of the Premier League.

Only ends up being one of the best signings City have made to get them where they are xD

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Di Santo,
Lukaku,
Falcao,
Pato,
Pizarro,
Kezman,
Shevchenko,
Remy,
Morato,
Batshuayi,
Mutu,
Ba,
Nando,
Crespo
Torres

Werner :ph34r:

Morata, Ba, Crespo, and even Torres were fine. Ba even scored the goal after Gerrard's slip.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Morata, Ba, Crespo, and even Torres were fine. Ba even scored the goal after Gerrard's slip.

Aren't Nando and Torres the same people as well xD 

Just now, Stan said:

Aren't Nando and Torres the same people as well xD 

You'd think so. There is also no "Morato'. Pato played two games (goal rate of 0.5 p/g!), and di Santo did he even play any?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You'd think so. There is also no "Morato'. Pato played two games (goal rate of 0.5 p/g!), and di Santo did he even play any?

I don't remmeber Di Santo playing much. I remmeber him more for Wigan than anywhere else.

23 hours ago, Spike said:

'we didn't want him anyway' like clockwork, every time xD

We definitely wanted him. COVID's evidently fucked our finances more than they have Chelsea's even though we haven't paid a transfer fee since the summer we signed Alisson, Fabinho and Shaqiri. Which is a bit worrying for us, but it should be a good signing for Chelsea assuming he fits in with the squad. He looks like he would be a good addition to any modern front 3 tbh. Works hard, very skilled, gets into good spaces for goalscoring opportunities regularly.

I'm disappointed it looks like another year of no big signings for us, I think we really need an addition up front for next year assuming AFCON goes on as planned. But on the other hand, since Klopp doesn't really like spending big money on players we don't really want - so us not getting Werner probably means we won't be entertaining any big money moves for any of our current superstars. Mostly concerned about Mane & Real Madrid, because those rumours just won't go away. But if we're not having any big signings coming in, I think it's safe for LFC fans to assume we'll be keeping our current stars - or we'll demand ridiculous amounts.

Apparently, we've asked Barca for Dembele on loan. I know Klopp's a fan, but I can't really imagine a player less suited for our front 3 on that Barca squad.

Simon Philips stated we’d have one big signing. That’s probably Werner. 

No way we are getting either Havertz or Sancho. They’re aren’t needed now and they’re price tag is over 100 million. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Simon Philips stated we’d have one big signing. That’s probably Werner. 

No way we are getting either Havertz or Sancho. They’re aren’t needed now and they’re price tag is over 100 million. 

Would you call Chilwell a big signing? I would.

That one's been spoken about a long time.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We definitely wanted him. COVID's evidently fucked our finances more than they have Chelsea's even though we haven't paid a transfer fee since the summer we signed Alisson, Fabinho and Shaqiri. Which is a bit worrying for us, but it should be a good signing for Chelsea assuming he fits in with the squad. He looks like he would be a good addition to any modern front 3 tbh. Works hard, very skilled, gets into good spaces for goalscoring opportunities regularly.

Minamino? I'd say we're biding time to figure out who to go for next. I don't ever think we didn't want Werner but if that price-tag deterred the club from chasing him along with the finances then maybe Klopp isn't going to chase someone else considering the current transfer market climate. 

As for Dembele, no. Just no. That kid is erratic and plays based on his mood versus being a professional. For a team that pushes the way we do I don't think he'd be a good fit even if he has the skill which he has shown on numerous occasions. 

59 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Minamino? I'd say we're biding time to figure out who to go for next. I don't ever think we didn't want Werner but if that price-tag deterred the club from chasing him along with the finances then maybe Klopp isn't going to chase someone else considering the current transfer market climate. 

As for Dembele, no. Just no. That kid is erratic and plays based on his mood versus being a professional. For a team that pushes the way we do I don't think he'd be a good fit even if he has the skill which he has shown on numerous occasions. 

Oh yeah forgot about Minamino.

Has everyone forgot that we might not be willing to throw around extreme amounts of money on new players (when the current crop are doing fabulous no less) because we are currently in the middle of merging our two training grounds as well as expanding Anfield. This might not have been such a problem had Covid not took over but now everything has changed. Supporters are not going to be allowed in football grounds for a very long time and even when they are, it will be at a majorly reduced number. So we are going to take a massive hit on the outlay we have put into the expansion. Its basically being all for nothing as things stand. 

I honestly can't believe nobody takes these things into consideration whilst screaming for mega money signings at a time like this.

We are not an oil run club.

27 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Has everyone forgot that we might not be willing to throw around extreme amounts of money on new players (when the current crop are doing fabulous no less) because we are currently in the middle of merging our two training grounds as well as expanding Anfield. This might not have been such a problem had Covid not took over but now everything has changed. Supporters are not going to be allowed in football grounds for a very long time and even when they are, it will be at a majorly reduced number. So we are going to take a massive hit on the outlay we have put into the expansion. Its basically being all for nothing as things stand. 

I honestly can't believe nobody takes these things into consideration whilst screaming for mega money signings at a time like this.

2nd in the league for net spending. Settle the fuck down lad. 

"We aRe NoT An oIL RuN CLuB"

57 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We take them into consideration, but it will be a THIRD window with next to no outlay on the first team squad. Cant keep doing that if we want to stay among the pack.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Would you call Chilwell a big signing? I would.

That one's been spoken about a long time.

The thing is mate, you lot will probably sign a replacement for Chilwell who is just as good or better. Your recruitment policy has been pretty decent in recent years. How much is Pereira worth now? Great bit of business last summer.

I'm not overly sold on Chilwell to be honest with you as well. We need a left-back, everyone knows my opinion on Alonso but I wouldn't be against having him as back up as he does have the odd big performance and moment in him. You couldn't rely on him consistently though. Emerson for me showed a lot of promise towards the end of Sarri's season where he was getting some good game time. He seems to be too injury prone though and looking at his performances overall he's been a bit of a mixed bag.

If Chilwell came in, he would have to do a lot to convince me that he's someone we could rely on consistently and of the fact that he could be a player that would sort us in that position for the foreseeable future. He has proved he is a good player at Leicester but I'm still not fully convinced.  Above all, however, there's the fact that he would cost a significant amount of money even at 40m when there probably will be teams in the league or elsewhere who pick up someone for nearly half the price and they turn out to be a gem.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

The thing is mate, you lot will probably sign a replacement for Chilwell who is just as good or better. Your recruitment policy has been pretty decent in recent years. How much is Pereira worth now? Great bit of business last summer.

I'm not overly sold on Chilwell to be honest with you as well. We need a left-back, everyone knows my opinion on Alonso but I wouldn't be against having him as back up as he does have the odd big performance and moment in him. You couldn't rely on him consistently though. Emerson for me showed a lot of promise towards the end of Sarri's season where he was getting some good game time. He seems to be too injury prone though and looking at his performances overall he's been a bit of a mixed bag.

If Chilwell came in, he would have to do a lot to convince me that he's someone we could rely on consistently and of the fact that he could be a player that would sort us in that position for the foreseeable future. He has proved he is a good player at Leicester but I'm still not fully convinced.  Above all, however, there's the fact that he would cost a significant amount of money even at 40m when there'll probably teams in the league or elsewhere who pick up someone for nearly half the price and they turn out to be a gem.

He's a good player. Defensively can be a bit suspect when it comes to positioning but I feel like you'll get the same inconsistences as you're used to with Emerson and Alonso. So not surprised that yourself and some other Chelsea fans are a bit undecided on it, even more so given the big transfer fee bandied around.

Even going forward his decision-making can be suspect, too. Just likes to drive forward. Head down, run and just take on players. Does like to give and go but even then, it's not always on point or accurate. 

I think you're right about our recruitment though - I'd love us to get someone like Grimaldo from Benfica or Telles from Porto. Would very much fit in to our side with how we like to play.

No idea how much Pereira is worth. If any club came knocking I'd want us to be asking for about £70m-80m. While that may not be a true value per se, if Chilwell goes for £40m I can't see how Pereira goes close to that.

6 hours ago, Rick said:

We take them into consideration, but it will be a THIRD window with next to no outlay on the first team squad. Cant keep doing that if we want to stay among the pack.

Why? We seem to be doing pretty well whilst merging training facilities and expanding stadiums? 

Its not like we are going to drop off a cliff because we haven't spent loads of money on new players. 

Have you ever thought that Klopp and Edwards might have a plan and that it might work?

Its emerged that we might not spend big money on top signings recently... it also emerged that we would stick with Karius as our goalkeeper once upon a time... then we signed Allison a few months later. It also emerged one day that our midfield didn't need improving and no money would be spent on it. Few days later Fabinho emerged, followed by Keita.

People should have learnt by now that we give very little away regarding our transfer business. And if we can't afford big mega money signings on players that we don't really NEED at the moment, then so be it. 

Its not like we are needing a full first team over-hall is it? We need a couple of rotation options and that's it. 

This isn't football manager 2020.

Klopp...

Financial caution the reality - Klopp

Klopp appeared to suggest that Liverpool are unwilling to lay out major transfer fees in the current economic climate, and that it would be contradictory to do so while potentially having to ask players to take reduced wages.

"There are all sorts of rumours in England about who Manchester United are going to pick, Chelsea are going to pick," he said.

"It's rather quiet here (at Liverpool) at the moment, I think it's safe to say. If you want to take it seriously and run a normal business and depend on income and have no idea how much you will earn... especially because we don't know when we can start playing with spectators again.

"At the moment, all clubs are losing money. Without spectators, we have to pay back the season tickets and probably sell none next year. At least maybe without the first 10 or 15 games. The VIP areas won't be packed and the tickets won't be sold. This will have an impact on other partners and things will look a bit different. Then there is the Anfield expansion"

"Discussing with the players about things like salary waivers and on the other hand buying a player for £50-60m, we have to explain."

Thats a quote from a man who knows much more about the financial situation than we do. In the full article I've taken the quote from where he starts by praising Werner and Havertz, hinting that moves for them were likely but the current situation has put an end to any current interest.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12001885/timo-werner-and-kai-havertz-are-great-says-liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp

• Administrator

Apparently Klopp decided to go against signing Werner because AFCON might not go ahead - so Mane & Salah would still be around - and he couldn't guarantee first-team regular football. Then Chelsea swooped in and obviously could give Werner what he wanted.

• The title was changed to Timo Werner - Chelsea Complete Deal

Archived