talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus & The Premier League

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If the pause it the cup competitions will have to go. Personally I think they should scrap the Euros.

Agree. This compressed season followed by the Euros then another possibly compressed season followed by the World Cup would be completely mental. But pundits like Gary Lineker are still saying players never want a break, so who knows

• Subscriber

Just let the Euros go in my opinion.

There's a good case between the pandemic and the fixture congestion that they should have gone without or at least condensed the Champions League and Europa League this season although it's too late now. Would have been pretty straightforward and more sensible to have just 3 games in the group stage and one legged knockout games. It's never European football that's a problem though is it, we all know why. Yet we were happy to (rightly) slate the return of international games this season because of unnecessary international travel during a pandemic. Just some thoughts...

6 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

All this fuss for the new flu :coffee: 

The fuss is entirely about your lots ability to get back in the title race. No one said circuit breaker when Newcastle United had an outbreak. An outbreak we still have 2 players out from who are suffering from longer term effects. 

A circuit break also backed by Sam Allardyce citing personal fears he might get the virus. Either he's an idiot for coming back or anyone who thinks he is genuine is an idiot.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

A circuit break also backed by Sam Allardyce citing personal fears he might get the virus. Either he's an idiot for coming back or anyone who thinks he is genuine is an idiot.

Would help his own cause if he wore his mask properly too xD

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Would help his own cause if he wore his mask properly too xD

Do you really think the mask does anything? ..when you fart, can you smell it through your jeans? :4_joy:  ..all the mask is about is an excuse to micro chip us for "identification purposes" at some point down the line!

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Do you really think the mask does anything? ..when you fart, can you smell it through your jeans? :4_joy:  ..all the mask is about is an excuse to micro chip us for "identification purposes" at some point down the line!

Not even going to dignify this with an answer. 

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Have you never put your jumper over your nose to block a fart smell out?

If that doesn't work for you I'd lay off the Casein :ph34r:

The league has said they aren’t considering a “circuit break” - where if I apply the standard UK leadership principle of u-turning on everything I say about Brexit, I think that means we’ve got 48-72 hours before the league pauses again for covid.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

The league has said they aren’t considering a “circuit break” - where if I apply the standard UK leadership principle of u-turning on everything I say about Brexit, I think that means we’ve got 48-72 hours before the league pauses again for covid.

I hope not.

Most of the country now in tier 4, genuinely think it keeps people going watching the football on the TV and stuff. They're horribly long days if there's nothing to do and nothing on TV.

• Subscriber

They've cancelled two games in this round of fixtures, and Sheffield United had too many issues to name a full substitutes bench. Newcastle still have two players suffering from "long Covid" symptoms after having a game postponed a few weeks ago.

The season is now very much disrupted by Covid. It doesn't seem like the virus is under control and further postponements, at least for Man City and Fulham seem likely with others very possible as well. None of us can see the future to see how disjointed the upcoming schedule is going to be because of further infections but you can definitely make case now that putting a hold on fixtures for 2 weeks may end up causing less disruption than doubling down and powering through the next few weeks. You also have the FA Cup coming up in a couple of weeks. A lot of games have been cancelled in the EFL, which has gone under the radar. If EFL clubs have to cancel FA Cup fixtures against Premier League sides then the media are going to suddenly sit up and take note on that as well. As with anything, you should probably do the firebreak/lockdown as soon as it starts feeling like the right thing to do, because waiting to see whether it gets worse or not usually results in things getting worse and the measures you have to take to get things under control becoming more extreme.

As for the Euros, I think we also have to bear in mind that if the rest of the major leagues manage to stick to their schedules as planned and England don't, you can't really have too many complaints if nobody else wants to cancel or postpone the competition.

26 minutes ago, N U F C said:

I hope not.

Most of the country now in tier 4, genuinely think it keeps people going watching the football on the TV and stuff. They're horribly long days if there's nothing to do and nothing on TV.

100% agree with you. But just looking around we’ve had 2 matches postponed in 3 days?

I think it’s likely as the cases rise with this new strain... we’re going to have another break.

It’s going to be harder than the first one because I’m out of TV to binge watch

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

100% agree with you. But just looking around we’ve had 2 matches postponed in 3 days?

I think it’s likely as the cases rise with this new strain... we’re going to have another break.

It’s going to be harder than the first one because I’m out of TV to binge watch

I just think they need to play the games they can but yeah I agree it seems inevitable that another break will happen at some point.

If they shut it down it will be terrible for me.  I don't know how much football, you get to watch on TV  where you are, But here in Canada I have DAZN and can watch every single game.  To be honest watching a lot of football has been one of the things that have gotten me through this pandemic. 

We are in a total lockdown here, you are only suppose to inter react with people in your own household and there's just the two of us and we really only should go out if it is essential.  Throw in that I am basically retired and work part time, which for the most part is by zoom calls and that Canadian winters can be harsh, watching football gives me something to do and I need it to keep me sane.

The thing is that it becomes a problem when a couple of teams end up missing 3 or 4 games, like City who will have played 3 games less than some others if their game on Sunday with Chelsea is postponed.   Teams that are playing in all 4 competitions don't have enough free weeks in the schedule to make up for all the games they have missed.  You can't have some teams playing 4 games in the last week of the season, it will greatly impact the final table.

Perhaps they should play this weekend's games and then have a 3 week break.  It may mean we have to cancel this year's FA Cup and it could impact the Euros, but a winter break might be the best thing.  I could take three weeks without football, but not much more.

4 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

If they shut it down it will be terrible for me.  I don't know how much football, you get to watch on TV Here in Canada I have DAZN and can watch every single game.  To be honest watching a lot of football has been one of the things that have gotten me through this pandemic. 

We are in a total lockdown here, you are only suppose to inter react with people in your own household and there's just the two of us and we really only should go out if it is essential.  Throw in that I am basically retired and work part time, which for the most part is by zoom calls and that Canadian winters can be harsh, watching football gives me something to do and I need it to keep me sane.

The thing is that it becomes a problem when a couple of teams end up missing 3 or 4 games, like City who will have played 3 games less than some others if their game on Sunday with Chelsea is postponed.   Teams that are playing in all 4 competitions don't have enough free weeks in the schedule to make up for all the games they have missed.  You can't have some teams playing 4 games in the last week of the season, it will greatly impact the final table.

Perhaps they should play this weekend's games and then have a 3 week break.  It may mean we have to cancel this year's FA Cup and it could impact the Euros, but a winter break might be the best thing.  I could take three weeks without football, but not much more.

The early sunsets don't help the matter either so I agree that football helps me get through this. Luckily I watch South American football mostly, who are through the first wave and in that awkward transition to the 2nd, if there will even be one at all. I just hope they don't stop the Belgian Pro League which is the one I do care about.

7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

The early sunsets don't help the matter either so I agree that football helps me get through this. Luckily I watch South American football mostly, who are through the first wave and in that awkward transition to the 2nd, if there will even be one at all. I just hope they don't stop the Belgian Pro League which is the one I do care about.

I'd say many teams in Brazil have reached herd immunity. Football won't stop here. 

Some clubs had huge corona clusters, with more than 20 players infected and no games were postponed. Teams had to use their U-20 players. 

To sum up, if european leagues pause again, there still will be football in Brazil at least. 

Just now, El Profesor said:

I'd say many teams in Brazil have reached herd immunity. Football won't stop here. 

Some clubs had huge corona clusters, with more than 20 players infected and no games were postponed. Teams had to use their U-20 players. 

To sum up, if european leagues pause again, there still will be football in Brazil at least. 

It's the same in Peru to be honest. I don't remember the last time a Peruvian team has had a COVID outbreak, or even a COVID case at all. It's both good and bad news because it means that most have probably reached herd immunity, but it also sums up how bad the whole thing was managed.

Ever since the protests we had about a month ago, COVID is an afterthought in Peru now.

Archived