The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-2 Liverpool - Saturday 17th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

xD Big Picture FC

Its a good idea to explain controversial decisions whether they are by VAR or the refs, but they never have and they won't make an exception for Liverpool.

I am still waiting for an explanation for a reffering decision that cost me £6500 in the 1994 World Cup.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Surely he wouldn't have walked off if that was the case? Being optimistic here

That doesn’t mean anything to be fair - see it all the time in the NFL people walking off then having done their ACL.

However it’s all speculation at the moment. Saw Richard Keys saying it on BeIn Sports but let’s be honest they don’t have a clue.

Will probably be a day or two until the swelling goes down and they can scan it properly

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

No idea. But again, it’s not VAR that’s the issue. It’s the human being. The technology doesn’t make that decision.

A tool that can’t be used correctly on a regular basis isn’t really a good tool.

I’m resigned to incompetent referees, they’ll never improve. But giving them technology to make it more evident how bad they are was a mistake, at least until the kinks can be worked out.

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Bizarre, what is that they expect to happen? 

12pm tomorrow: PREMIER LEAGUE ORDER EVERTON V LIVERPOOL TO BE REPLAYED.

Funny how it's reported differently isn't it. Liverpool have merely asked for an explanation. No one is asking it for it to be replayed

• Subscriber

That's unfortunate about Van Dijk. Genuinely hope that's only a rumour, he looked basically fine walking off the pitch but if it is ACL you never know. When Rooney did his before the 2006 World Cup his foot got stood on and his shoe came off, he tried to play on, turned out his ACL was gone.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

That's unfortunate about Van Dijk. Genuinely hope that's only a rumour, he looked basically fine walking off the pitch but if it is ACL you never know. When Rooney did his before the 2006 World Cup his foot got stood on and his shoe came off, he tried to play on, turned out his ACL was gone.

I don't think Rooney did his ACL in 2006. He'd have never played in the World Cup if he did

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Funny how it's reported differently isn't it. Liverpool have merely asked for an explanation. No one is asking it for it to be replayed

I suppose there is an argument that it is to tight to call to call. However I still stand by the principle that if you are a millimetre of you are of but maybe it is to tight to call. One thing I was thinking couldn't you shirt be offside but your body not of you wanna get really technical?:what:

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Cicero called it tbf, ligament damage is very likely. Question is how does Klopp deal with it, change of formation or just hope Gomez/Matip can cope? 

We'll see Fabinho there more often now. He'll be out a minimum of a few weeks I think

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think Rooney did his ACL in 2006. He'd have never played in the World Cup if he did

I remember at the time someone told me the media had exaggerated his injury because he wouldn't had made the world cup if it was as bad as they made out. Cant remember if it was a reliable source though.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Premier League sides sharing their revenue down the pyramid, and accountability for referees/video referees. Mental how quickly things become a Bad Idea Actually as soon as Liverpool suggest them

A) yes, that's definitely what people took issue with Project Big Picture for xD. Let's just gloss over the power grab over voting rights part, huh?

B) if they were genuinely arsed about accountability for officials they'd raise it with the rest of the clubs. I didn't see it proposed as a part of their sweeping changes to the football pyramid. They're cry arsing about things not going their way today. That's not to say it isn't a problem but don't pretend it's some benevolent move on behalf of all clubs and fans to ask for an explanation of today's decisions. Everyone's been shafted by VAR multiple times since the start of last season, today was sadly far from exceptional circumstance.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

A) yes, that's definitely what people took issue with Project Big Picture for xD. Let's just gloss over the power grab over voting rights part, huh?

B) if they were genuinely arsed about accountability for officials they'd raise it with the rest of the clubs. I didn't see it proposed as a part of their sweeping changes to the football pyramid. They're cry arsing about things not going their way today. That's not to say it isn't a problem but don't pretend it's some benevolent move on behalf of all clubs and fans to ask for an explanation of today's decisions. Everyone's been shafted by VAR multiple times since the start of last season, today was sadly far from exceptional circumstance.

No doubt there was a lot of justified anger over the voting rights part, but it's very naive to think the money wasn't a significant eyebrow raiser. There's a reason the "much more reasonable" counter-proposal magically had significantly less money going down the pyramid, most of which was in the form of one-off loans

I didn't say it's a benevolent move on behalf of all clubs. It isn't and it doesn't have to be, but there's no doubt it would be a positive step if something were to come of this.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A tool that can’t be used correctly on a regular basis isn’t really a good tool.

I dont think the tool is bad I think all the supposition around the tool is what is causing the issue. Today its the shoulder which is a scoring part of the body, tomorrow its there needs to be a toe-nails gap. 

At the end of the day, the refs are inept. They choose to do things any way they want. Brighton got fucked over because the ref blew the whistle but VAR said it was a handball and today its calling an offside when the guy on the pitch (you know the guy who really does decide this game's officiating) didn't bother to go to a monitor. Inconsistency is the trend here and I think the ref should always go to a monitor? Cant hobble your fat ass over to it, no problem put monitors across all pitch corners and force the ref to go see the incident. I think VAR is overriding decisions that aren't theirs to override in the first-case and more importantly the refs are getting reliant on somebody else to make their decisions for them. Take it back to the guy on the pitch to make the final call and not the guy in the box.

Any discrepancy leading to a goal no matter how small must require the ref on the pitch to go to a monitor. There should be no excuses at all. 

• Administrator

Pickford should have been off. 

Mane was onside. Goal should have stood. No idea on what basis the VAR official has made that decision when looking at those lines and replays. PGMOL will probably just come out tomorrow, apologise for the mistake and act like it's a one off, when it's not. Frustrating that the technology is there but the right decisions still can't be made. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Surely he wouldn't have walked off if that was the case? Being optimistic here

Ricardo for us apparently did his ACL in the game against Villa in March and played til the end. Only after the game it was revealed how much damage had been done. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Hearing that Van Dijk has done his ACL. That’s him out for 7/8 month. Devastating for us. 

If Pickford caught him with his stood, it could potentially have been a career ending tackle. Was fucking horrific. 

Makes you wonder why players and managers can still get sent off when the ball is officially 'dead' yet you cannot get sent off in that particular instance.

Kind of makes a mockery of the decision to send Reece James off after full time on Wednesday when you compare the two incidents.

Same principles still.

• The title was changed to Everton 2-2 Liverpool - Saturday 17th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived