talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

Yeah, I think NFL players deserved to be paid a lot. Without the guaranteed money, a lot of players are well underpaid if they get a bad injury that has a long term impact on them. It's a pretty brutal sport in terms of injury, which is what happens when you've got the most athletic players of a very high contact sport - these guys use their bodies as weapons tbh.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I think NFL players deserved to be paid a lot. Without the guaranteed money, a lot of players are well underpaid if they get a bad injury that has a long term impact on them. It's a pretty brutal sport in terms of injury, which is what happens when you've got the most athletic players of a very high contact sport - these guys use their bodies as weapons tbh.

A lot of guys that enter the league, leave broke. Some of those guys are paid the big bucks and mismanage, but a lot are kids that never make it but leave with the same problems without the monetary compensation. Athletes are humans too and being paid a lot of money doesn't fix the problems many people face. Money didn't help Dave Duerson with his CTE when he shot himself in the chest because life was too suffering to bare. Money didn't help Walter Peyton survive cancer (unrelated to the sport, I know), money didn't help William Perry with his diabetes, alcoholism, and GBS, it didn't save his legs when they were amputated.

I think it is more likely than not that the super league wont happen. The players are so against it I think they would refuse to play. I know footballers can be greedy but I think there is a difference between wanting a pay rise or moving to another club for more money and playing in a competition that goes against 150 years of history that your own fans will hate you for playing in. I think some players will play in it but I think a lot wont despite the money they can make 

I think it's absolutely mental that United and Liverpool had not told their players and managers anything about the deal. Klopp learned about it from the news, Solksjaer and the United squad learned about it minutes before playing a fucking match. Which is bizarre and it puts Solksjaer in a weird position where he's been made aware before a match that he's going to probably be asked questions after the match about something he's never heard about before really.

FSG canceled a Zoom meeting between club staff & themselves after the match against Leeds... which looks a bit fucking cowardly. After having the players and manager go out after the news and then have them expected to field questions "as the face of the club" but they don't really know any details about the decision... and what they do know about it, it seems they hate.

I think it's pretty appalling to give no advanced notice of the club taking steps to make career altering decisions of it's employees without any advanced notice whatsoever.

But I saw a pretty apt response to someone expressing the same belief on reddit: "Does a farmer consult his cattle before he sells them, that's all the players are to these people." Which... I suppose would make the ESL the real farmers league.

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

A lot of guys that enter the league, leave broke. Some of those guys are paid the big bucks and mismanage, but a lot are kids that never make it but leave with the same problems without the monetary compensation. Athletes are humans too and being paid a lot of money doesn't fix the problems many people face. Money didn't help Dave Duerson with his CTE when he shot himself in the chest because life was too suffering to bare. Money didn't help Walter Peyton survive cancer (unrelated to the sport, I know), money didn't help William Perry with his diabetes, alcoholism, and GBS, it didn't save his legs when they were amputated.

Wasn't the Aaron Hernandez case somewhat related to concussions? 

The whole american football system is completely broken. At college, you don't get paid. Once you go pro, your contract is not guaranteed. 

If I were an american parent, my children would play baseball. You don't even need to be a competent pitcher to get a huge contract, e.g. Jeff Samardzija. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Have we worked out what this massive smokescreen is leading to, yet? 

What was the name of that earlier cash grab Liverpool & Man Utd tried earlier? The one with the greedy six + Everton, West Ham and Southampton that @RandoEFC just posted a thing of.

I wouldn't be surprised if these greedy six use this unpopular ESL to attempt to negotiate to something close to that, if they do back down from this.

Or this is 7D chess from UEFA to sneak the CL changes past without having it look too controversial and the clubs eventually will back down to that.

Or some combination of both. But they also might not back down because, after all they no longer care about the "legacy fans" and want to move to the "new generation of fan".

The Premier league is already practically a Super League itself in how it operates. That's not any better and has set the tone.

Football was already dying and getting worse, so this makes no difference as it has been inevitable for years. You either have a Super League based in one country, or a European one. I genuinely don't know what's worse.

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Wasn't the Aaron Hernandez case somewhat related to concussions? 

The whole american football system is completely broken. At college, you don't get paid. Once you go pro, your contract is not guaranteed. 

If I were an american parent, my children would play baseball. You don't even need to be a competent pitcher to get a huge contract, e.g. Jeff Samardzija. 

And yet the players keep coming. It’s buyer beware. They know the potential risk in playing a game. 
playing a game, that says it. 
baseball agree, is where it’s at

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What was the name of that earlier cash grab Liverpool & Man Utd tried earlier? The one with the greedy six + Everton, West Ham and Southampton that @RandoEFC just posted a thing of.

I wouldn't be surprised if these greedy six use this unpopular ESL to attempt to negotiate to something close to that, if they do back down from this.

Or this is 7D chess from UEFA to sneak the CL changes past without having it look too controversial and the clubs eventually will back down to that.

Or some combination of both. But they also might not back down because, after all they no longer care about the "legacy fans" and want to move to the "new generation of fan".

The Champions League changes have been agreed, which has largely gone under the radar, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s attached to that in some way. 

As Neville mentioned Man-City is just a marketing vehicle and the state mainly wants a good public imagine, they don’t need this, Chelsea have no debt, they also don’t need this.

1 minute ago, DNA said:

As Neville mentioned Man-City is just a marketing vehicle and the state mainly wants a good public imagine, they don’t need this, Chelsea have no debt, they also don’t need this.

Wonder why they signed up in the first place?

Just now, The Käiser said:

Wonder why they signed up in the first place?

They’ve been extremely naive, those two clubs should have colluded together really. I can understand how desperate the rest are but not them.

h8zCN5r.jpg

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived