The better place to talk football.

Christmas 2020

football forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
18 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Doing things a bit differently this time around. I probably should have said a while ago but it’s taken quite a while to come to terms with this year but my girlfriends Dad is dying. He had all the symptoms for Corona in April sort of time and 111 said it sounded like Corona and that he’d probably recover in a couple of weeks but a few cases have lasted longer. It went on and on and then he seemed to take a turn for the worse and just wasn’t shaking it off. He eventually got scanned, which was a battle in itself given his temperature at the time but it was cancer and it was terminal. It was a blow to all of us. He turned 50 in July so it all just seems to have happened at once. Basically, Chemo made it worse and they eventually stopped that and it would like we’d lose him much sooner than the original timeframe we’d been given, so he chose to go home for a week and then would go into a hospice. 

I’m not sure what’s happened and I can’t really explain it but he’s now been at home for about 7-8 weeks now and all things considered, he’s okay. He’s got nurses who go out and see him and they’re happy with him. He has a physio who goes out to see him and they’ve had him stand up and even do a couple of steps (it sounds like nothing but after probably 6-9 weeks in bed at hospital or at home, it’s huge). 
We (myself, my girlfriend, her sister and her boyfriend) have self isolated as much as we physically can, I’ve worked from home for the past 8 weeks and we really isolate for a few days before we’re due to see him. 

Usually, we spend Christmas Eve with my family and then around lunchtime on Christmas Day, we head to her parents. This time we’re going to her parents on Christmas Eve, staying over in an Air B&B, having Christmas Day with them and then going to my family on Boxing Day. 

Sorry to put a shit spin on what should be a happy thread and sorry for not really being around/saying anything about it since we found out in July but I hope everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves because things change so quickly so appreciate it. 

No need to apologise at all. As others above have said, make the most of the time and cherish the memories you've made and can make.

• Subscriber

I feel for you @Smiley Culture, me and the wife being in our 70's have lost quite a few loved ones over the years and when it happens it hits you hard, its hits the wife a lot harder as over the years she lost her mother & wee brother when she was young and then she was bought up with her gran & grandad, I never met her gran but I met her grandad and he was staying with us years later and I got a phone call at work from the wife's cousin saying I best come home as grandad had passed away and she needs you.

That was a horrible time then and I arrived home with the wife and family in tears and I felt bloody useless as all I could do was give them all a cuddle and grieve with them, it took a few months to get over that but as the years roll on we may not see them around anymore but they will always be in our hearts and this Wednesday gone we visited the local Cemetary to pay our respects and lay some flowers where they lay, some consolation and it made the wife and her big sis a little bit more cheerful for Xmas.

I always say to our son & daughter we won't be here forever and when we pass away just carry on as normal and remember life goes on, look after our grandsons and make sure you look after them well as when they grow up they will be watching over you two in old age, just like you are watching over me and your ma while we are still here. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, McAzeem said:

Is anyone of you buying a PS5 for someone or hoping to get one as a Christmas present? 

Trying to get one for our grandson Alexander but they are like gold dust, tried in my Argos account but whenever I look they are not available, more than likely get one now after the new year.

It's been a shit year and you only need to read @Smiley Culture post to emphasise that. My thoughts are with him and his family. 

Anyway, i'll try raise the spirit a little bit.

So in an attempt to create a bit more of a feel good factor to a bollocks year, my missus and I have been getting involved in running a local event.

Basic jist of it involves people picking a random tag for themselves out a box and on that tag is a Child's name, age and their gender.

These names are not the real child's name for security purposes but they are representative to less fortunate children in Southampton that do not have the luxury of families or friends at this time of year.

Anyway, the idea is these people buy a gift for their designated 'kid', it can be as little or big as they like, and then we get them wrapped up and sent to the real child for Christmas so they have something.

Given neither of us have children, nor do we really have children to buy for, it's given us real pleasure to get involved and try give something good back to those less fortunate.

I should add that this is not all on us, it's not our idea, we've simply chosen to volunteer as we know the organiser really well and get involved and I've got to say, hands down the most rewarding thing I have done this year.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Only a small Christmas tree for us, used to be a big one but this one goes in the corner near the grandson's photos, wee Kaiden calls it 'Kaiden's Corner' next to some of his toys he has here for when he visits with the daughter.

thumbnail_20201219_055935.thumb.jpg.0f60efc73dab10dbb75cf022254db925.jpg 

Mine is still smaller 😂

DSC03146-1-01.thumb.jpeg.40e437e5a6bb8e1b2617c769156e18ef.jpeg

On 19/12/2020 at 06:03, CaaC (John) said:

Only a small Christmas tree for us, used to be a big one but this one goes in the corner near the grandson's photos, wee Kaiden calls it 'Kaiden's Corner' next to some of his toys he has here for when he visits with the daughter.

thumbnail_20201219_055935.thumb.jpg.0f60efc73dab10dbb75cf022254db925.jpg 

I didn't go too over the top this year 

christmas_bud.jpg

On 16/12/2020 at 17:31, Smiley Culture said:

Doing things a bit differently this time around. I probably should have said a while ago but it’s taken quite a while to come to terms with this year but my girlfriends Dad is dying. He had all the symptoms for Corona in April sort of time and 111 said it sounded like Corona and that he’d probably recover in a couple of weeks but a few cases have lasted longer. It went on and on and then he seemed to take a turn for the worse and just wasn’t shaking it off. He eventually got scanned, which was a battle in itself given his temperature at the time but it was cancer and it was terminal. It was a blow to all of us. He turned 50 in July so it all just seems to have happened at once. Basically, Chemo made it worse and they eventually stopped that and it would like we’d lose him much sooner than the original timeframe we’d been given, so he chose to go home for a week and then would go into a hospice. 

I’m not sure what’s happened and I can’t really explain it but he’s now been at home for about 7-8 weeks now and all things considered, he’s okay. He’s got nurses who go out and see him and they’re happy with him. He has a physio who goes out to see him and they’ve had him stand up and even do a couple of steps (it sounds like nothing but after probably 6-9 weeks in bed at hospital or at home, it’s huge). 
We (myself, my girlfriend, her sister and her boyfriend) have self isolated as much as we physically can, I’ve worked from home for the past 8 weeks and we really isolate for a few days before we’re due to see him. 

Usually, we spend Christmas Eve with my family and then around lunchtime on Christmas Day, we head to her parents. This time we’re going to her parents on Christmas Eve, staying over in an Air B&B, having Christmas Day with them and then going to my family on Boxing Day. 

Sorry to put a shit spin on what should be a happy thread and sorry for not really being around/saying anything about it since we found out in July but I hope everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves because things change so quickly so appreciate it. 

Its been said by most on here already, and I realise im late saying this, but I'll echo it mate.. so sorry for what you and ya girlfriend and all those close to you are going through..  its things like this that make us all realise that football, sport, politics, anything really, doesn't really matter... its all about friends and family.

All the best mate, I hope you all manage to get through this somehow. 

Best wishes and fingers crossed from the biggest idiot on here... MadLad xxx

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

9itGGok.gif

giphy.gif

:D 

You beat me to it, I spotted that gf a wee while ago.

That's the wife and son just finished off wrapping up Xmas presents, we have spent a bomb on the grandsons but it's worth it as I know when I was a wee nipper we did not get much but we were happy, just like the young ones will be this time, the eldest grandsons presents were centred around clothes and cash so they will be happy too.

Archived