talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

38 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Where is @Eco these days?

You rang?

Sorry about my recent absence. I have been traveling for work, competed in a chess tournament, and tomorrow the wife and I are leaving for the beach. After that vacay, I'll be back on as usual.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

been shafted with my TV deal what with the new Sky Sports channels changing.

I have a deal with BT TV where I pay £32.50 for the TV entertainment deal and then an add-on for £22 to get Sky Sports 1 & 2 which was perfectly fine.

Now that it's changed to Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra and they've upped the price on the add-on to £27, I'm going to lose out on some sport which would have usually been on Sky Sports 2 and may not be shown on Sky Sports Main Event or Extra.

Looking at Virgin and Sky deals and it looks like I may have to pay nearly double the current deal of £32.50 to get Sky Sports channels and BT Sport channels. 

Also been told to cancel my TV deal with BT it'll cost £73 cos my contract runs til next Sept.

What does everyone else pay?

Thinking about getting Kodi but a bit skeptical...

Just sign up to a paid streaming service for sports. I've used a couple over the years. About £5 to £7 a month

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Just sign up to a paid streaming service for sports. I've used a couple over the years. About £5 to £7 a month

guaranteed decent quality? any to recommend?

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Stan said:

I have a deal with BT TV where I pay £32.50 for the TV entertainment deal and then an add-on for £22 to get Sky Sports 1 & 2 which was perfectly fine.

Now that it's changed to Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra and they've upped the price on the add-on to £27, I'm going to lose out on some sport which would have usually been on Sky Sports 2 and may not be shown on Sky Sports Main Event or Extra.

Looking at Virgin and Sky deals and it looks like I may have to pay nearly double the current deal of £32.50 to get Sky Sports channels and BT Sport channels. 

Also been told to cancel my TV deal with BT it'll cost £73 cos my contract runs til next Sept.

I have NowTV and wouldn't consider using satellite or cable. I was unsure to start with whether it offered any value but for £34 a month I get all the Sports channels and can cancel at any time with being penalised. 

On 18/07/2017 at 6:10 AM, Spike said:

You think that is bad but the BBC cast a black woman as this real life human bean:

MargaretAnjou.jpg

Now mate, I don't really care too much about Doctor Who because that is a fictional character and an alien to boot but THIS IS HISTORICAL REVISIONISM. I wouldn't cast the greatest actor alive if they didn't look like the historical figure they are portraying.

Devil's Advocate here: Gender equality isn't making a male character female. It's writing a new character completely. Equal representation is nonsense, TV creators have no obligation to write 1 male part for every female part. Their duty is to write engaging stories and characters that sell and if that means writing more male parts, than that is where the money is. I think this is sexist, they've taken a well received and loved male character and expect 'equality' to simply ride on the coat-tails of an already loved character. It's far easier to do that and create an engaging female character, they've put zero stock in an actual heroine capturing the hearts of audiences. This is lazy, pandering nonsense, that is meant to appeal to no-one outside of the writer's ego. I don't think woman have to be placated or even settle for gender swapped roles. We know a woman can be an amazing TV lead, look at Xena and Buffy.

I get what you're saying but the leading roles available for women is really nothing in comparison to men.

Is Dr. Who a man or is Dr. Who a role dominated by men? It's not as if they've changed the gender of the a consistent role, Dr. Who's entire body physically changes from one human to the next, in this case it's hardly out of the ordinary for him to come back as female if he can go from old to young etc considering women make up half the population.

In terms of changing a male character, I don't think this is the same as say suddenly changing Luther or at a stretch James Bond. Dr Who is basically an alien.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I get what you're saying but the leading roles available for women is really nothing in comparison to men.

Is Dr. Who a man or is Dr. Who a role dominated by men? It's not as if they've changed the gender of the a consistent role, Dr. Who's entire body physically changes from one human to the next, in this case it's hardly out of the ordinary for him to come back as female if he can go from old to young etc considering women make up half the population.

In terms of changing a male character, I don't think this is the same as say suddenly changing Luther or at a stretch James Bond. Dr Who is basically an alien.

The Doctor isn't a human nor is his name 'Doctor Who'. :D The character is basically genderless (in a human context) but up until now has been portrayed as masculine. ALTHOUGH it creates an issue, the Doctor has had a lot of love interests, all of them female, all of them fell for an alien that was physically exact to a human male, not a female. The Doctor being portrayed as a female (thus making the character less human and ultimately genderless) makes those past relationships really bloody creepy.  Ruins the dynamics.

Another question is: why should their be more leading roles for women? the same applies for the opposite. Creating roles to meet a quota is anti-creativity. I feel western society is egalitarian enogh that roles will be written with quality in mind over gender/race quotas. I'd rather a well rounded character than a ham fisted one.

Men and women are different and characters usually aren't blank slates that can be gender swapped. 

piernas-ciclista-e1500404393311.jpg

This is what a professional cyclist's legs look like after 16 stages of the Tour de France.  Polish cyclist Pawel Poljanski posted this picture on his Facebook account and it's now doing the rounds in all sorts of medical journals. :o

Edited by SirBalon

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Another question is: why should their be more leading roles for women? the same applies for the opposite. Creating roles to meet a quota is anti-creativity. I feel western society is egalitarian enogh that roles will be written with quality in mind over gender/race quotas. I'd rather a well rounded character than a ham fisted one.

Men and women are different and characters usually aren't blank slates that can be gender swapped. 

It's not to fill a quota though and I agree with your point in terms of being well rounded, people think that equality in television or film is about ticking off the numbers. It's simply about creating the same chance for a female actress to be as successful as her male counterpart in whatever roles they get. They don't get the same opportunity at success critically or financially, so just through that alone you will see less well rounded characters as the people able to portray their stories aren't being written for or given work.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

The Doctor isn't a human nor is his name 'Doctor Who'. :D The character is basically genderless (in a human context) but up until now has been portrayed as masculine. ALTHOUGH it creates an issue, the Doctor has had a lot of love interests, all of them female, all of them fell for an alien that was physically exact to a human male, not a female. The Doctor being portrayed as a female (thus making the character less human and ultimately genderless) makes those past relationships really bloody creepy.  Ruins the dynamics.

I did mention Alien at the end :banana:

18 hours ago, Stan said:

I've got the lot on Sky and was paying well over £100/month. Got into it with them just before Christmas and cancelled my subscription. Week before it was all to be turned off they called and offered to deduct 60% off of the monthly amount for nine months, which I took.

As long as you're happy to take the risk that they'll call your bluff [but it the risk seems low from others I know who have done similar] then tell them you are cancelling. The cancellation team will call to offer you something to stay.

18 hours ago, Stan said:

I've got the lot on Sky and was paying well over £100/month. Got into it with them just before Christmas and cancelled my subscription. Week before it was all to be turned off they called and offered to deduct 60% off of the monthly amount for nine months, which I took.

As long as you're happy to take the risk that they'll call your bluff [but it the risk seems low from others I know who have done similar] then tell them you are cancelling. The cancellation team will call to offer you something to stay.

18 hours ago, Stan said:

4 hours ago, Anton said:

Large I'm not sure what you mean, could you post it again?

Of course mate. It will be my pleasure.

4 hours ago, Anton said:

Large I'm not sure what you mean, could you post it again?

Of course mate. It will be my pleasure.