talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Michael said:

The sirens in Kyiv went off about 20 minutes ago and now I can literally hear the sound of artillery from the Kyiv livecams I am watching. This is a really sad time in our history.

I feel for you buddy, all our thoughts are with you, your family and the people of your country, try to take care, bombs & bullets are not a nice thing to be around.

6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I feel for you buddy, all our thoughts are with you, your family and the people of your country, try to take care, bombs & bullets are not a nice thing to be around.

I am safe in the UK mate, I am just watching the proceedings in Kyiv online on my laptop. It is just terrible what is going on there. Especially as regards to the civilians who have been killed. 

• Upvote 4

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

I am safe in the UK mate, I am just watching the proceedings in Kyiv online on my laptop. It is just terrible what is going on there. Especially as regards to the civilians who have been killed. 

I still feel for you and your country, being an ex army man and have been on tours of duty, bombs & bullets are not nice to be around, this is a wicked old world we live in regarding conflicts nowadays.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Rick said:

Russia can fuck off with these threats they are throwing out left, right and centre. 

The whole worlds army’s should just go to Russia and batter them all. 

I actually agree in many ways. I don't have anything against most of the Russian people, but we need to get rid of the Putin regime. I know Ukraine isn't a NATO country, but we should be helping to defend Ukraine with our Western forces. The war would start to go in our favour quite rapidly if we were to do this. However, the one hurdle is the fact that Russia has nukes and if he uses them as he probably would if we intervened, then that could spell disaster for humanity.

At the very minimum, we should be supplying Ukraine with our best military technology, we should give them all that they need in terms of weapons, so that they can defend their country with success. Right now, they are short on a lot of advanced weapons, military vehicles and jets. As it stands, sadly the Ukrainians are the sacrificial lamb caught between Western and Russian politics. The Ukrainians are outnumbered and they do not have the military technology as well as the strength, that the Russians have. If they were better equipped, they would be in a much better position to successfully repel the Russians.

• Upvote 1

They are reportedly stopping all men of 'fighting age' at the borders and forcibly enlisting them to defend the nation.

During the journey, he said he saw Ukrainian men being taken off buses heading for the border as officials told them that men between the age of 18 and 60 were not allowed to leave the country

Mr Marotta said: “They were saying, ‘say goodbye to your girlfriend, to your wife, say goodbye to your mothers and daughters, you’re going east’.

“I started seeing these surreal scenes of fathers saying, ‘I don’t want to leave my family,’ and Ukrainian soldiers yanking them away … Mothers were protesting, they were screaming: ‘Why are you doing this?’

“There was this guy standing up on a box saying ‘forget your wives, forget about your girlfriends – you need to defend your country. Don’t be a coward.'”

Mr Marotta added he will “never forget” meeting a 24-year-old pulled away by soldiers with “AK-style weapons” to conscript.

“He had no choice, he gave me this look that I’ll never forget, it was a sad sort of smile … I hope he’s okay.

“It was just tragic – fathers being torn from their kids to go fight in the war."

He described making friends with an "18-year-old Ukrainian kid" who was "conscripted him on the spot".

"It was just very brutal to see the terror in his eyes knowing he was going to go east and fight the Russians," he explained.

“It was harrowing to watch.”

Ukrainian men 'conscripted on the spot' as refugees flee to Poland on foot

• Sad 3

As in the article Cicero posted, it was indeed announced earlier today, that all Ukrainian men aged 18 to 60 are not allowed to leave Ukraine. So they are essentially forced to stay in Ukraine amid all the bombings and attacks taking place. It is also noteworthy to mention that it is almost impossible to get a train or even a bus to Western Ukraine and the Polish, Slovak and Hungarian borders. The trains and busses are limited and we have to remember that Ukraine is a country of 44 million people, which is a lot of people.

Edited by Michael
  • Sad 1

Things are looking seriously grim for everyone... :(

I know it's out of sync but did watch a live feed of this... I am glad the world is not standing by doing nothing but lets be brutally honest, the idea of war in Europe as an alternative to a peaceful outcome is absolutely frightening... 

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just watched a live webcam from Kyiv. Everything was quiet and peaceful. And then suddenly you could hear 5-6 really loud bangs and the sirens started going. Gut-wrenching and surreal. 

I've been watching the Kyiv livecams and those of other cities as well. You could hear many explosions and artillery fire in Kyiv today. Sad times as things are really intensifying. 

• Sad 1

Sviatislav Yurash a Ukrainian politician marches towards the front-line of the conflict in northern Kyiv with his AK-47. Could you imagine any of our many current politicians if such a war was ever to break out in the UK? BJ and Company would be fleeing to their country houses or flying overseas with their private transport.

Edited by Michael
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Interesting thread offering a sliver of optimism. Not the first I've seen either. For all the horror, which shouldn't be downplayed, it's worth acknowledging that Putin isn't having things entirely his own way here. Even if he manages to install a puppet leader in Kyiv, there are doubts over whether he can subjugate a sovereign nation of 40 million people.

• Upvote 2

This guy did in the US back in 2004, US football player, he was killed by friendly fire.

I have read on alternative sites they think he was murdered as being disgusted by some US troop actions in Afghanistan yet whatever he took a stand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

Putin thinks he has the right to do this thanks to Bush and Blair, IMO.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Finns gonna do it again. 

Winter-War-facts.png.489d3eeb4f71c5382db

Little known fact. Finland likely won WW2 for the allies with their stoic defense of their nation, as that fucking imbecile Churchill wanted to fight Germany and Russia at the same time via a Sweden landing. Finland fighting russia to a standstill prevented this (obviously disastrous) plan.  

• Upvote 3

• The title was changed to Russia and Ukraine