talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

4 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Like her honesty, none of that it's a grave task that we must avoid bullshit. 

Nah fuck that. No one should be 'ready' to annihilate the fucking globe. Especially as a petty act of vengeance after someone else nukes you first. 

Rumor among physicists is that all the modern nukes are duds anyways. I hope she pushes the button one day and has to explain to the press that afternoon why she chose to turn the globe to ashes when nothing happened.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

The nuclear button thing is so dumb but the British press are obsessed with it.

If anyone ever asked me that, I would answer by asking what circumstances in which you'd want to see me press the button. Because we're talking about a genuinely apocalyptic fallout.

I do understand at least why a world leader can't say they'd never press it under any circumstances because that would be dumb. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

The nuclear button thing is so dumb but the British press are obsessed with it.

If anyone ever asked me that, I would answer by asking what circumstances in which you'd want to see me press the button. Because we're talking about a genuinely apocalyptic fallout.

I do understand at least why a world leader can't say they'd never press it under any circumstances because that would be dumb. 

Would it? Under what circumstances do you send the whole planet into poisonous nuclear winter? 

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Would it? Under what circumstances do you send the whole planet into poisonous nuclear winter? 

Obviously none. But if some other world leader is insane enough to do so and you say on a worldwide broadcast that you'd never push the button even in retaliation (which is true of me) it increases the chance of your nation getting targeted. 

There's nothing to achieve by it. There's nothing to achieve by using nuclear weapons at all. Which is why the discourse around it is so stupid.

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Nah fuck that. No one should be 'ready' to annihilate the fucking globe. Especially as a petty act of vengeance after someone else nukes you first. 

Rumor among physicists is that all the modern nukes are duds anyways. I hope she pushes the button one day and has to explain to the press that afternoon why she chose to turn the globe to ashes when nothing happened.

In modern times technology in armaments becomes obsolete in 20-25 years. So it is very likely it's true. Some of the missiles Russia is using to target parking lots in Ukraine right now were their most lethal stuff until recently. 

On the nuclear weapons conversation, the most obvious sensible thing to do would be for the grown ups of the world to put them all out of reach somewhere, like when Superman chucked them into the Sun in Superman IV.

And somehow ensure knowledge of them passes.. if at all possible.

The sad reality is the 'civilised' world only achieved lasting 'peace' via the cold war & it's stand offs. Ukraine is happening today & it still feels bad to me everyone is standing around just placing financial sanctions on the aggressor.

Would I want the world to burn if Russia nuked any other nation but mine? Even a NATO 1? Not really, but living with the world missing a nation or 2 would be a nightmare I'm not sure would be any easier to handle in other ways. And Ukraine is decimated & likely to lose territory. Like a nuke without the radiation. And of course NATO is quite literally all about mutual retaliation agreements.

Thanks to Putin it does seem like it would take Superman to end the whole thing.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• Administrator
On 25/08/2022 at 20:44, Reluctant Striker said:

On the nuclear weapons conversation, the most obvious sensible thing to do would be for the grown ups of the world to put them all out of reach somewhere, like when Superman chucked them into the Sun in Superman IV.

This is ironic because I'd love to do that to the politicians themselves, as well as the weapons xD

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the government has lifted the ban on fracking. Liz trust was known for her environmental policies before but I always thought fracking was bad for the environment. @nudge What is the evidence on fracking and how dangerous is it thought to be? What is the general expert opinion?

Edited by Gunnersaurus