• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Won't Renew Ruben Selles Contract

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Southampton have done reasonably well for a while, finding star players, selling & replacing. But it's that which is catching up with them. The current side feels like a Championship side.

Just looked at their team sheet from yesterday, who the are those players. I've barely heard of any of them.

I get they unearth talent but eventually like you say, it will catch up with you.

The guy seemed genuinely unhinged in his press conferences as though he thinks he's Jurgen Klopp or Alex Ferguson and that his own failures are due to trying to please people. His ranting is utterly bizarre. 

I have never seen someone who has never managed in the top league behave like him.

Poor appointment, right call. 

10 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Southampton have done reasonably well for a while, finding star players, selling & replacing. But it's that which is catching up with them. The current side feels like a Championship side.

I disagree. Everyone thought the owners were mad when they sold Lambert, Lallana, Shaw etc but they replaced them with Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Bertrand  Alderweirald etc.

The model is great if the recruitment is great. Look at Brentford and Brighton. They've got in the Premier League and are using that extra income to still recruit very good players. There's no reason why Southampton couldn't have continued to do the same thing and be pushing for a top six place now. They just dropped the ball.

32 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I disagree. Everyone thought the owners were mad when they sold Lambert, Lallana, Shaw etc but they replaced them with Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Bertrand  Alderweirald etc.

The model is great if the recruitment is great. Look at Brentford and Brighton. They've got in the Premier League and are using that extra income to still recruit very good players. There's no reason why Southampton couldn't have continued to do the same thing and be pushing for a top six place now. They just dropped the ball.

They have made some seemingly bad choices.

Not sure they ever replaced Ings, who at least shared the star man burden with Ward Prowse when he was there. Think they just promoted Che Adams. A 1 goal in around 5 striker. Ings had been 1 in 2 for them. Perhaps trying to improve that a bit now with Sulemana. But he didn't have great figures in France.

The right back vs Wolves, James Bree, is basically a Villa reject. Perhaps he's developed since.

And it still confuses me why they let Bednarek go on loan to Villa. Who in turn rarely used him. And is now back in their side.. and scoring an own goal.

A good plan for them may be to avoid dealing with Villa, or former Villa players.

• Subscriber

He needed to go and now Southampton will be hiring their third manager of the season. Crazy. I'm hoping that the new person doesn't come in before the Grimsby game and we can sail through to the next round of the cup.

On 12/02/2023 at 03:12, Whiskey said:

Gutted that he's been sacked just as his press conferences were starting to get truly batshit crazy.

I loved his press conferences because it was just a man showing the world that he's not confined by the boundaries of "reality"

• Administrator

They're actually going for Marsch xD. Based on what he's done with Leeds (going from 17th when he joined, to being in 17th when he left), it's a bizarre appointment. 

Guessing they actually are preparing for Championship life with his appointment. 

I'm very aware that in true Football fashion, this could backfire on us. I'm hopeful it won't, but it easily could.

The script is there though and his motivation factor will be high.

However, the fact they have us in two weeks at Elland Road, I'm dreading they beat us. I'm tempted to stick a fiver on that now.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

However, the fact they have us in two weeks at Elland Road, I'm dreading they beat us. I'm tempted to stick a fiver on that now.

what kind of reception do you think he'll get?

4 hours ago, Stan said:

They're actually going for Marsch xD. Based on what he's done with Leeds (going from 17th when he joined, to being in 17th when he left), it's a bizarre appointment. 

Guessing they actually are preparing for Championship life with his appointment. 

Yeah but they were in terrible form and probably would have gone down if they had kept bielsa. If he keeps them up great if not he might be a good appointment for next year. If not get rid of him then 

• The title was changed to Southampton Won't Renew Ruben Selles Contract

Archived