talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League FINAL - Man City 1-0 Inter Milan - Saturday 10th June, 2023

Man City now are one of 'the six' to have won a Champions League / European Cup. Yes, they did not get to the top in the more traditional manner. But the traditional way to do so & stay there, gets increasingly difficult.

My feeling when Rodri's shot went in, allowing for the 3 decades which have passed since, was actually comparable to when Mark Hughes scored his goals vs Barcelona in the 1991 Cup Winners Cup final.

In terms of any rival fans really, really not liking it. The opposite is that kids around England are genuinely starting to wear Man City 'winners' tops. For some, yes, they are blue now rather than red. And may stay that way, growing in number & popularity, for 15 - 20 years ahead.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Two things about that match.

1) That match mainly just gave me PTSD from that Wembley FA Cup semi final where Lukaku missed about 100 chances against United for us.

2) It's TT week in the Isle of Man with the last night of the beer tent/TT village coinciding with the Champions League final most years. The last few years have mainly seen Liverpool contesting the final and as much as I don't want to give them any credit, the stakes have felt somewhat interesting because you go down and there's 200-300 Liverpool fans going mental over the game on the big screen. Tonight it would be generous to suggest the number of Man City fans there breached double figures. The rest of us were half-assedly supporting Inter but everyone had forgotten the match had ever been on within 5 minutes of the final whistle.

Congratulations to City. Great team, great manager, great footballing operation and a great night for all of the long-serving, genuine fans who watched them play in the third tier 30 years ago or whatever. Enjoy it. But nobody's arsed and they never will be.

Imagine trying to compare unlimited cheat code funding to youth talent and a business model that every other team were allowed to create. Embarrassing really. But yeah, United started this by buying Andy Cole for £7million. Or was it Arsenal for buying Bergkamp for £7.5million? Or Liverpool for buying Collymore for £8.5million? Or Newcastle for buying Shearer for £15million? God damn Manchester United for floating on the Stock Exchange legally and forcing poor little Manchester City and Chelsea to be bought by countries and Oligarchs. They never stood a chance…….

lOgiC

34 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Why are there Man Utd fans who think they can't compete rather than the reality that it wasn't them last night because they've bought shite and appointed shite managers.

Agreed. We’ve been terribly ran for over a decade now. 

At least, if nothing else, I won't have to watch another Champions League match hosted by Jake Humphrey. Hopefully Warner Brother Discovery bins most of the other BT Sports commentators and pundits.

Absolutely burying James Richardson for their Champions League coverage is a ridiculous decision. Especially for the Milan - Inter semi final, where him and James Horncastle were nowhere to be found.

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

Edit: nvm this is too long a debate on a day as nice as this!

There isn’t a debate. Whether you like it or not, Utd were able to build their club to where it is now through genuine business practices and sporting achievement. 

Disproportionate TV money is a limp argument. The successful clubs, the winning clubs, they are the ones that bring the most eyes so obviously they are going to be awarded more money than the teams doing fuck all at the bottom. Do I wish the likes of Palace & Brentford got more media money, yes. Do I expect them to get the same as Liverpool & Utd, absolutely not. It’s isn’t realistic, and bashing Utd for getting that money because they were successful on the pitch is weird. 

City have been brought from a very mediocre club to the best team in the world in a decade. They have had money continuously pumped into them from minute one, created fake sponsorships, meddled with their finances, hoarded players, built the best training centre etc etc. They didn’t build the club up from hard work, they went from lower mid table to the European places in the blink of an eye. Anybody who think Utd are anywhere near what City are have a scrambled mind. 

Bayern Munich do my head in. Mostly because they are able to clearly get in the ear of players in the league, get them to run down their contracts, and then sign them on a free. That is a practice I don’t like one bit. Bayern have decades upon decades of success, that’s why they are a monster of a club. Sporting success got them to this place now. The likes of City, Chelsea & Newcastle are a complete disgrace. There isn’t a history of continued sporting achievement to explain their success. They have basically nothing before they won the lottery. 

• Subscriber

A lot of people seem to be operating on a misconception that anyone who thinks what City have been allowed to do is wrong automatically thinks that the pre-Abramovich hierarchy and the way that came about was fine.

You can simultaneously believe that Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal shouldn't have been allowed to establish such crushing economies of scale over the rest of the football pyramid and render English football such a closed shop in the 90s, whilst also admitting that those clubs at least had to earn that opportunity by getting to the top of the pyramid in the first place. 

The traditional big clubs' claim to "deserving" to dominate and automatically be in the conversation for major honours purely because of their financial clout is flimsy, elitist, and doesn't respect the sporting ideal that the team that does the best job each season should win the league. It's fair to say though that their claim is still better than Man City's. A larger than average football club with a reasonable sized fanbase that were going nowhere until they were picked almost at random as a vehicle for the Sheikhs to buy football domination, potentially breaking 100+ financial rules en route.

The problem with football now is that you can't fix this until you start talking about sweeping changes like budget caps, wage caps, drafts, etc. to level the playing field, none of which will ever get off the ground.

31 minutes ago, Rick said:

There isn’t a debate. Whether you like it or not, Utd were able to build their club to where it is now through genuine business practices and sporting achievement. 

Disproportionate TV money is a limp argument. The successful clubs, the winning clubs, they are the ones that bring the most eyes so obviously they are going to be awarded more money than the teams doing fuck all at the bottom. Do I wish the likes of Palace & Brentford got more media money, yes. Do I expect them to get the same as Liverpool & Utd, absolutely not. It’s isn’t realistic, and bashing Utd for getting that money because they were successful on the pitch is weird. 

City have been brought from a very mediocre club to the best team in the world in a decade. They have had money continuously pumped into them from minute one, created fake sponsorships, meddled with their finances, hoarded players, built the best training centre etc etc. They didn’t build the club up from hard work, they went from lower mid table to the European places in the blink of an eye. Anybody who think Utd are anywhere near what City are have a scrambled mind. 

Bayern Munich do my head in. Mostly because they are able to clearly get in the ear of players in the league, get them to run down their contracts, and then sign them on a free. That is a practice I don’t like one bit. Bayern have decades upon decades of success, that’s why they are a monster of a club. Sporting success got them to this place now. The likes of City, Chelsea & Newcastle are a complete disgrace. There isn’t a history of continued sporting achievement to explain their success. They have basically nothing before they won the lottery. 

They don't understand because they only stand from a view point of hate towards successful clubs. 

Of course we're going to be the most annoyed by what's happened at City, it's not been done in the correct way.

If Spurs would have capitalised on their Champions League run the year you beat them and then went on a run of domination I think we'd all have applauded their achievements. We'd have looked at it as good management and brilliant players brought together. City on the other hand have hand picked talent each summer and will continue to do so to keep themselves ahead of the game for the foreseeable future. 

10 years from now I hope the fans of other teams acknowledge they were wrong and that comparing those who profited from the financial gains of the Premier league is not anywhere near comparable to what's gone on at City. 

I just want to make it clear that I don’t think clubs like Liverpool, Utd, Bayern Munich “deserve” to dominate just because they are established. I’m a firm believer that in sport you should only get what you EARN. No lottery, no sugar daddy. Win on the pitch, build some success, earn it from sporting achievements. 

11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Congratulations to City. Great team, great manager, great footballing operation and a great night for all of the long-serving, genuine fans who watched them play in the third tier 30 years ago or whatever. Enjoy it. But nobody's arsed and they never will be.

Tell that to the million's of City fans around the world. rival fans don't care (apart from united and liverpool bitters) and why should you? if City are not playing i have no interest in football but you are mistaken if you think the world wont talk about this treble for a very long time. 

7e5LWPo.jpg

zypItpZ.jpg

1 hour ago, Devil said:

They don't understand because they only stand from a view point of hate towards successful clubs. 

Of course we're going to be the most annoyed by what's happened at City, it's not been done in the correct way.

If Spurs would have capitalised on their Champions League run the year you beat them and then went on a run of domination I think we'd all have applauded their achievements. We'd have looked at it as good management and brilliant players brought together. City on the other hand have hand picked talent each summer and will continue to do so to keep themselves ahead of the game for the foreseeable future. 

10 years from now I hope the fans of other teams acknowledge they were wrong and that comparing those who profited from the financial gains of the Premier league is not anywhere near comparable to what's gone on at City. 

This has proven to be a fantastic nibble. 

1 minute ago, Devil said:

Never thought you'd lower yourself to hiding behind the trolling route like Happy Blue.

It's not trolling, it's factual.

The fact you're still going however does qualify the conversation as a major nibble.

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

It's not trolling, it's factual.

The fact you're still going however does qualify the conversation as a major nibble.

You will always be in Happy Blues shadow when it comes to nibbling.

On this subject you've talked utter bollocks, it's almost like you enjoy licking Happy Blues arse.

9 minutes ago, Devil said:

Never thought you'd lower yourself to hiding behind the trolling route like Happy Blue.

You should be more upset with your own club for wasting a billion on crap mate. you have the funds to compete, what you moaning at?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived