talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mohamed Salah - Liverpool Reject £150m Al-Ittihad Offer

that deal will be tempting as it may be the last time Liverpool could get a massive pay day for Salah.

conversely it is next to impossible to sell him without becoming noticeably worse.   I'm a fan of Gapko and Nunez so I don't think Liverpool are short of deputies, but Salah is a cult hero and very good, selling him without getting a top draw midfielder in would turn the fans against the ownership

• Subscriber

TBH in terms of business this came a bit too late in the transfer window that just went past. I figure if you could cash him in and get another target why wouldn't the club do it if the player wanted to leave. He's said he doesn't want to move and that is why he signed a new contract, but I really doubt the same song would have been sung had it been very early in the transfer window. 

Absolute no brainer. No sell.

Liverpool would have to spend double the £60m at least, to find a player that was in the same class as Salah.

The only way you'd probably think about doing it for me is if you knew Mbappe coming in was a realistic option. Then you'd likely push the boat out and invest in someone like him. But there's very few players that could replace Mo Salah.

Besides, for a guy who may not get another World Cup shot, I'd have thought playing another 2 seasons at the highest level domestically and in Europe was a no brainer.

He can easily move to Saudi at 33 and earn a few bob. Not now.

• Administrator

Liverpool would be foolish to sell (and I don't think they actually will) this late in the window.

He's too much of a talisman and pivotal to the way they play. He's a legend there, let alone for the PL. 

£60m would be a bargain. Looking at triple figures minimum when you consider how important he is and the massive hole he'll leave behind.

Only way there's even an inkling it happens is if Salah says to Liverpool he wants to leave. But again, I can't see that happening either. 

These Saudi lot are jokers aren’t they. They think we sell our best player, the most important player of the last 5 years for that shitass amount. Gladly, his agent has came out and said Mo is committed to Liverpool. 

I think he will move at some point, because he’s the best Arab player on earth, but those cunts aren’t getting him for pittance. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rick said:

These Saudi lot are jokers aren’t they. They think we sell our best player, the most important player of the last 5 years for that shitass amount. Gladly, his agent has came out and said Mo is committed to Liverpool. 

I think he will move at some point, because he’s the best Arab player on earth, but those cunts aren’t getting him for pittance. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he does make a move to them eventually. He's not just an icon to Egyptians, he's pretty well loved in the Arab football world because he's an international super star.

That fucking offer is an absolute joke though and the way these Saudis have kind of operated as they've sought to bring our players into their league is a bit insulting tbh. Asking for our captain on a free transfer after being willing to pay him outrageous prices, thinking we'd just do them a favour because they've got Gerrard. The ridiculously insulting offer for Mo here. Considering how he's performed since joining us, where he's been legitimately one of the best players in the world... that proposed fee is outrageous. Very happy to see that his agent has said "nah we're not interested in him going to a retirement league just yet."

What if they offered something like 120 million?

It's not beyond reality, what if they offered that figure for a player in his 30's in the last few years of his contract.

What if they offered that after the window shut. Would it be accepted?

3 minutes ago, Devil said:

It's not beyond reality, what if they offered that figure for a player in his 30's in the last few years of his contract.

FSG would probably take it yeah. I’d be fuming if he was sold, because the squad wouldn’t see that money back into it among the other obvious reasons I want him to stay. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devil said:

I think I agree with @Rick on this

1 hour ago, Rick said:

FSG would probably take it yeah. I’d be fuming if he was sold, because the squad wouldn’t see that money back into it among the other obvious reasons I want him to stay. 

They'd take the money and run, we'd probably spend about half of it on someone that's deemed to have big potential... but we'd be losing another big leader of the squad and one of the best players in the world currently. I'd probably be pretty pissed off unless we took that money and signed someone like Mbappe, which we'd never do with FSG running the show.

I think we'd be a lot worse off for it. I think we'd need to demand a sum of money that even the Saudis would balk at to consider it... but that's if people like me, or @Rick were in charge. FSG would just see it as exceptional ROI and wouldn't be too arsed if it meant another wasted season from us.

A month ago,  I thought Liverpool were having a strong sensible window,  fast forward they have sold off a lot of depth and experience and made no further additions to key areas of need.   A month ago based on business done I thought Liverpool looked good for their second title run,  but right now I think they are closer to man United than they are to Arsenal and City. 

If they sell Salah now,  there will be stabbings and mass anarchy on Merseyside,  and it wont be the Everton side.. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, OrangeKhrush said:

A month ago,  I thought Liverpool were having a strong sensible window,  fast forward they have sold off a lot of depth and experience and made no further additions to key areas of need.   A month ago based on business done I thought Liverpool looked good for their second title run,  but right now I think they are closer to man United than they are to Arsenal and City. 

If they sell Salah now,  there will be stabbings and mass anarchy on Merseyside,  and it wont be the Everton side.. 

Fabinho, Henderson, Firmino, Milner out
Szoboslai, Mac Allister in

They're the main first-teamers gone (Keita was a first teamer in the physio room, doesn't count). 

They've lost a lot of experience, but they've got good youth products coming in (or already in). Probably just need more depth adding to the squad.

I'd say the key area of need regardless was midfield - they've strengthened in terms of talent, but lost big experience Milner. Gakpo was added in January don't forget...

Two players for every position is usually more than good enough

GK - Alisson, Kelleher

CB - Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Gomez

RB - TAA (also Gomez)

LB - Robertson/Tsimikas

CM - Jones/Elliott/Thiago/Szoboszlai/Mac Allister

RW/LW/FWs - Salah, Nunez, Gakpo, Jota, Diaz

If anything, it's the defence that need strengthening. I think they'll end up with Lavia which will also strengthen the midfield.

Just now, Stan said:

Fabinho, Henderson, Firmino, Milner out
Szoboslai, Mac Allister in

They're the main first-teamers gone (Keita was a first teamer in the physio room, doesn't count). 

They've lost a lot of experience, but they've got good youth products coming in (or already in). Probably just need more depth adding to the squad.

I'd say the key area of need regardless was midfield - they've strengthened in terms of talent, but lost big experience Milner. Gakpo was added in January don't forget...

Two players for every position is usually more than good enough

GK - Alisson, Kelleher

CB - Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Gomez

RB - TAA (also Gomez)

LB - Robertson/Tsimikas

CM - Jones/Elliott/Thiago/Szoboszlai/Mac Allister

RW/LW/FWs - Salah, Nunez, Gakpo, Jota, Diaz

If anything, it's the defence that need strengthening. I think they'll end up with Lavia which will also strengthen the midfield.

I think they needed a CB and RB at least cover for Trent as Gomez is a liability.    I do like their youth,  I am a big fan of Harvey Elliot and that Spanish youngster looked solid,  however we know that if you want to push the big sides you need depth and experience which is a lot to put on relatively new players.

I think Liverpool really thought they had Bellingham in the bag and when it unravelled they may not have had the back up plan,  however I think they did get two nice players.

They are a strong team and should do better,  at least in theory. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Rick said:

We need ideally two midfielders and a CB. If we don’t get the CB in, my confidence for the season dips considerably. Our options after Virj & Konate is a big dip in quality. 

TBH those two CBs dont instill a whole lot of confidence in me either based on how things went last season (i know its a new season before someone comes and says it). Freshening up that part of the squad is something that has slipped through during this transfer window with all the exits and midfield/attack strengthening. 

9 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Mo of Arabia.

Liverpool need at very least a CB and midfielder, the problem is, that can be quite 'spensive

Every player is expensive now because of the market being insanely inflated due to the huge amount of money pumped into the game.

• The title was changed to Mohamed Salah - Al Ittihad Make Offer
  • The title was changed to Mohamed Salah - Liverpool Reject £150m Al-Ittihad Offer