talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mohamed Salah - Liverpool Reject £150m Al-Ittihad Offer

• Administrator

Don't blame Liverpool one bit for telling Al-Ittihad to do one with any offer.

He's indispensable. All well and good saying replace him with 1 or 2 players with the money, but there's 5hrs left of the window and absolutely no guarantee any player fills that gap and plays instantly like Salah does for Liverpool with the same impact.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Coma said:

I'd sell, and I'm not a ManU fan.  They had him last year and didn't make the CL.  What's changed this year?

Could argue that was in spite of Salah, not because of him. 

5 minutes ago, Coma said:

I'd sell, and I'm not a ManU fan.  They had him last year and didn't make the CL.  What's changed this year?

We didn't have a functional midfield last year. Hard to score as much as he normally does (and he still scored a fair amount, and provided a decent number of assists) when you've got a midfield that struggles to create and also puts your defense under constant pressure. It's early days in the season, but the new look midfield we've got now looks a lot better - and it's not really had time to gel as a unit yet.

I think that Newcastle match shows how much better we are compared to last season. Last season after Newcastle went ahead and we kept looking shit, I think we would have wilted and Newcastle would have scored at least 3. In the second half, I think we were actually the better side despite still being under a bit of pressure.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Coma said:

Is the squad really any better than last year?  I honestly haven't paid much attention so that's a genuine question.

From the outside I'd say the defence still needs work but the midfield with Mac Allister and Endo in it, and possibly Gravenberch, does look better. The attack is ridiculous. 

Take Salah out and it's still good, but nowhere near as good as it could be. It's like taking Haaland out of Man City. 

15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

People are over egging the age factor with Salah. I don't see him regressing that much over the next few years.

I don't think people are over egging it, Looking at the value you would get for his age is considerable if the offer is accurate, it's not like anyone is suggesting he is on his last legs or anything... He could continue for a good few seasons but his value would start to tumble obviously unless they are going to be silly and keep coming back each season with improved offers.. 

14 minutes ago, Rick said:

Salah is in incredible shape. He takes care of himself as well as Ronaldo, and he was still taking the piss out of teams at the age of 34/35. I have no worry about his age if that’s part of the argument to sell him. 

I think the point in mentioning his age isn't about if he can still cut it or not. The point is that the fee that you can get for him will go down the further into the future we go. Although the Saudis might not care about that at all...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rick said:

Salah is in incredible shape. He takes care of himself as well as Ronaldo, and he was still taking the piss out of teams at the age of 34/35. I have no worry about his age if that’s part of the argument to sell him. 

Again no-one is suggesting his age is an issue other than from a monetary value point of view... It's not like someone is suggesting he might be tripping over his zimmer any time soon now is it... I can also see why the timing of such a sale would be bad given the window left to try and find a replacement hence the reason they have left it so late with such a completely over the top offer hoping you could not refuse.. 

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

I think the point in mentioning his age isn't about if he can still cut it or not. The point is that the fee that you can get for him will go down the further into the future we go. Although the Saudis might not care about that at all...

The fee doesn't really come into it if he stays at the level he's at for the next 3-4 years

• Subscriber

They have till Thursday to make it worth our time. I don't think the club should budge at all on something like 200m even if the world thinks it's a great price for a 30-year-old. Forget about Salah, you put this team through the ringer without a player who can add goals and they'll get burned out by the time March comes rolling around. They are playing good football right now; they are finding rhythm and to think that 200m will upset that is ludicrous. 

I really disagree with the prevailing sentiment here. Salah is in his early 30s, still his prime, but potentially the tail end of his prime. In this market Liverpool can literally buy 2 players for 150 with change to spare. Grab one of the top players in the world to replace him, and move on. 

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

Who has said Salah is keen? 

It's all been 'Saudi Pro League believe that Salah is keen'. I don't think there's ever been any indication of that. Salah has that much self belief he'll still believe he can win the Ballon D'or and other big trophies. He won't do that moving there at 31 or 32. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

It's all been 'Saudi Pro League believe that Salah is keen'. I don't think there's ever been any indication of that. Salah has that much self belief he'll still believe he can win the Ballon D'or and other big trophies. He won't do that moving there at 31 or 32. 

Yeah I hadn't seen anything at all. But of course one believes what they want to despite no evidence... 

16 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I really disagree with the prevailing sentiment here. Salah is in his early 30s, still his prime, but potentially the tail end of his prime. In this market Liverpool can literally buy 2 players for 150 with change to spare. Grab one of the top players in the world to replace him, and move on. 

If we want to grab one of the top players in the world, they’re going to end up costing about what we get for Mo. They also came in for him days before the window shut, when we were never going to sell, and even continuing for a week after the window shut because Saudi royals don’t understand being told no.

It’s not like we could get City to agree to sell us Haaland or that Mbappe wouldn’t have an insanely inflated price.