talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

56 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

What does "OK" mean?  Is that something big or is it just, you'll be ok? O.o

I think he just means the conclusions being drawn over Liverpool's prospects this season should not be too adversely affected by this result. Under different circumstances a 5-0 could have asked much greater questions.

By way of comparison, Arsenal on the other hand losing 4-0 to us the week before I'd argue had greater cause to draw more damning conclusions on what it meant for their prospects of a sustained title challenge and/or top 4.

Thats not a throwback onto Arsenal, just a comparison that a 4-0 or worse pummelling at the hands of another "big club" do not always mean the same things.

I've taken away definite concerns over the level of fight in the team in the face of adversity. Would be particularly concerned of what it might mean in key UCL matches if we lose a man. But also I've taken plenty of heart that we were very competitive in the 35 minutes prior to the incident, which is no small feat away at a freshly 250Mil juiced Manchester City.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think he just means the conclusions being drawn over Liverpool's prospects this season should not be too adversely affected by this result. Under different circumstances a 5-0 could have asked much greater questions.

By way of comparison, Arsenal on the other hand losing 4-0 to us the week before I'd argue had greater cause to draw more damning conclusions on what it meant for their prospects of a sustained title challenge and/or top 4.

Thats not a throwback onto Arsenal, just a comparison that a 4-0 or worse pummelling at the hands of another "big club" do not always mean the same things.

I've taken away definite concerns over the level of fight in the team in the face of adversity. Would be particularly concerned of what it might mean in key UCL matches if we lose a man. But also I've taken plenty of heart that we were very competitive in the 35 minutes prior to the incident, which is no small feat away at a freshly 250Mil juiced Manchester City.

I was just having a laugh with MadLad to be honest. ;)

I know what Arsenal's objectives should be, they'll be the same as they have been for over a decade.  But what exactly are your objectives and secondly, are you actually building to go beyond the objective I think you're aiming for or is it about maintenance?

Well more than anything i want us to win the title but more immediate to that for me is to arrest the up down nature of our league campaigns year on year over the past decade that have seen us snatch second twice and then immediately fall away to 6th the following year. 

I would like to see us cementing a top four position and then kicking on the way arsenal didn't do. Along the way it would be nice to see some champions league knock out games also. 

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well more than anything i want us to win the title but more immediate to that for me is to arrest the up down nature of our league campaigns year on year over the past decade that have seen us snatch second twice and then immediately fall away to 6th the following year. 

I would like to see us cementing a top four position and then kicking on the way arsenal didn't do. Along the way it would be nice to see some champions league knock out games also. 

In my view the up and down nature of your campaigns is all down to your coach and those that work around him.  That's the way it has almost always been and I don't see anything different in what's happened since Klopp took over to feel it's any other way.

Put it this way...  When a coach is becoming a big name and becomes prominent, he tends to other be at a small club or a medium sized one.  He tends to have relatively big success (taking into account the club he's making his name at) and then has downturns with that...  Those downturns we and the media tend to basically blame the fact they're at a club with lesser resources and that for this reason he (the coach) can't achieve what it seems his talent is capable of.

How long do you think should be given to a coach where you then start questioning him?

11 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

@Cicero

Bakayoko was quietly one of my favourite Chelsea players before he even kicked a ball for us. A lot of pundits and fans have had a hard on over Matic signing for Man United but as any decent Chelsea would tell you Matic had been below par for us since December, often one of the scapegoats for the team and despite some concerns that we were selling to a big rival and that Matic could reach his top level again not many if very few Chelsea fans batted an eye lid when he actually left which tells you a lot about Chelsea fans' opinions of him.

I intially thought after the game Bakayoko did OK but wasn't that impressive but now looking back and seeing some of the stats I can see he did well. He said himself he needs a month still to get up to speed so hopefully there's more to come as well as I think he can improve. If he avoids injuries I have no doubt in my mind Bakayoko will be a massive upgrade on Matic (who was one of the most frustrating players to watch in a Chelsea shirt at times) and I'm glad in comparison to some others that Baka has quietly gone under the radar as well.

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

He was the main reason Kante had such a good game. Both complement each other. 

I think the best way to say it would be that although Matic going has strengthened United we have not been weakened by his departure.. 

Bakayoko has done ok for his first couple of games, you can see the potential there and lets hope that there is more to come.... 

• Administrator

@Cicero @True Blue @Bluewolf  @carefreeluke

What is the chant in question?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41216477

Chelsea have condemned the singing of an anti-Semitic chant by their fans during Saturday's win at Leicester.

Blues supporters used a song about Alvaro Morata - a scorer against City - to abuse London rivals Tottenham, who have a large Jewish fanbase.

"The club and the players appreciate the fans' passionate support away from home, of course," said Chelsea head of communications Steve Atkins.

"But the language in that song is not acceptable at all."

He added: "We've spoken to Alvaro after the game and he does not want to be connected to that song in any way and both the player and the club request that the supporters stop singing that song with immediate effect."

After the game, Morata tweeted: "Since I arrived, I have been able to feel your support every single day, you are amazing and I'd like to ask you to please respect everyone!"

Kick It Out, football's equality and inclusion organisation, have also condemned the song and called for those responsible to be banned.

"There is no place for such disgusting chants at football matches and in wider society," read a statement from the organisation.

"Kick It Out welcomes the clear statement by Chelsea FC, deploring the chants and asking all supporters to cease repeating the chant.

"The organisation expects Chelsea FC to ban any supporters who are identified as indulging in such abusive conduct and expects the police to take action against any identified perpetrators."

It is not the first time Chelsea fans have been caught making offensive chants in recent years.

Videos appeared on social media of some supporters singing anti-Semitic songs before their FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham in April.

Blues fans also pushed a black commuter off a Metro train in Paris in February 2015 before a Champions League tie.

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In my view the up and down nature of your campaigns is all down to your coach and those that work around him.  That's the way it has almost always been and I don't see anything different in what's happened since Klopp took over to feel it's any other way.

Put it this way...  When a coach is becoming a big name and becomes prominent, he tends to other be at a small club or a medium sized one.  He tends to have relatively big success (taking into account the club he's making his name at) and then has downturns with that...  Those downturns we and the media tend to basically blame the fact they're at a club with lesser resources and that for this reason he (the coach) can't achieve what it seems his talent is capable of.

How long do you think should be given to a coach where you then start questioning him?

Well its been the case under Rafa to some extent, and BR. I hope not so under  Klopp. The key change is the emergence of Man City on the scene with their infinite pool of oil money has made it tough to squeeze into the top 4 and we can not do it consistently. But realistically we could still expect to be in there one than we have done particularly considering the amount more we have spent than you guys in the past decade. But obviously that's not the be all and end all and part of the reason for your success has been continuity and good technical development.

I'm pretty generous in terms of how long I'd give provided the club aren't becoming a laughing stock. Not as many years as some Arsenal fans, but I think 3 years is a reasonable minimum.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

I think you will find it was along these lines... 

“Morata, Morata,  He came from Real Madrid, he hates the f**cking Y**s.”

Just directed at Spurs fans... 

Quite mild really but even Spurs fans get done for calling themselves Yids.

Archived