talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group D Matchday 1 - 16 June

football forum

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Messi's always been average at penalties 

Don't meant that one, i mean the one non awarded on Pavon. And no. For Barca i think he's pretty good, and with us he was good till that miss in the Copa America.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Can’t focus on the non awarded penalty mate although I know where you’re coming from in terms of getting 3 points chalked on the blackboard first and foremost.

There are other MASSIVE issues for Sampaoli to resolve and the thing is that those problems should’ve been analysed before the World Cup started.

Honest to god... What the fuck is going on?

Is it all that bad in the pool available for Argentina?  I don’t think so... For me it’s a case of as per usual with the usual suspects being selected. Another thing to throw into the frying pan is that IF YOU’RE GONNA CHOOSE those usual suspects, then at least bring about some conservative tactics to win games from poignant moments like Iceland done by earning their draw.  

Yeah obviously we could have played much better. And i've said it before, Sampaoli brought a very unbalanced squad, and so far he has never made the team play reasonably good except against Italy.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Juan Pablo Sorin (telemundo) said it best..."all these "progress" but yet the defence is still shambles?"

Sorín has always spoken before his brain starts to motor after a long night partying.

Argentina’s problem wasn't the defence at all. They played very well as a backline.

The midfield doesn’t just create... It’s also there to protect its defence. 

Sorín has always spoken before his brain starts to motor after a long night partying.

Argentina’s problem wasn't the defence at all. They played very well as a backline.

Actually i think the defence was awful, didn't bring me security at all like in the last WC. Midfield as well as per usual.

Just now, SirBalon said:

I'd start a midfield three of Mascherano, Banega, Lo Celso. 

Pavon on the left

Messi on the right

Aguero up top

Just now, Cicero said:

I'd start a midfield three of Mascherano, Banega, Lo Celso. 

Pavon on the left

Messi on the right

Aguero up top

I would actually tie Messi down to midfield becauae Argentina have more than enough talent up front to win against the best in the world. Messi can play there... Anywhere in midfield. 

• Administrator

Argentina's defence was terrible. The midfield find it difficult to function together but the defence is by far the worst aspect of that team. They look disorganised and out of shape sometimes. The errors in the first half especially today were of a Sunday League standard, not World Cup/International standard.

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That’s funny to be hoenst but Argentina DIDN’T draw today’s game because of Caballero. 

I don't expect Argentine fans to be rational in despair, to be honest. 

I think the nickname is going to grow in me:

Allez, allez, les Conchason!!

4 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

I don't expect Argentine fans to be rational in despair, to be honest. 

I think the nickname is going to grow in me:

Allez, allez, les Conchason!!

I am still bemused as to why we haven’t adpoted the “concha” word into our many many words to describe our sentiments in Spain. xD

We understand it, get it, know what it means... But we need to use it! 

I am still bemused as to why we haven’t adpoted the “concha” word into our many many words to describe our sentiments in Spain. xD

We understand it, get it, know what it means... But we need to use it! 

In any case I agree Caballero is not particularly guilty for anything. The overall quality of the squad is lacking in all positions but upfront, and the Conchason pulled an epic display of effort and tenacity.

UEFA teams undefeated so far, right?

• Subscriber

Messi does seem to have missed a surprising amount of fairly high profile penalties to my memory. Like others have said having a 75% success rate or so is good but when you have Aguero as an alternative (if he was still on the pitch I dozed off) it's strange that he didn't take it.

Disappointing result for Argentina needless to say, especially because they had actually done the hard part and got the goal against this sturdy Iceland team only to concede and give their opponents a second bite of the cherry.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Messi does seem to have missed a surprising amount of fairly high profile penalties to my memory. Like others have said having a 75% success rate or so is good but when you have Aguero as an alternative (if he was still on the pitch I dozed off) it's strange that he didn't take it.

Disappointing result for Argentina needless to say, especially because they had actually done the hard part and got the goal against this sturdy Iceland team only to concede and give their opponents a second bite of the cherry.

Aguero is actually a funny alternative because he's missed quite a few too.

I'm hoping Argentina are gonna be like Portugal in 2016, draw against Iceland first game, Ronaldo-Messi miss important pens (nobody mentions Ronaldo's miss now)...but I don't see it sadly, Portugal had a superb defence which is the base of all sides.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Aguero is actually a funny alternative because he's missed quite a few too.

I'm hoping Argentina are gonna be like Portugal in 2016, draw against Iceland first game, Ronaldo-Messi miss important pens (nobody mentions Ronaldo's miss now)...but I don't see it sadly, Portugal had a superb defence which is the base of all sides.

missed 9 out the 48 he's taken in his career.

I've always had him down as a reliable option though.

Looks like Iceland's goalkeeper didn't become a professional until he was 29 and didn't get proper goalkeeping coaching until he was 20. Was a film director until 2012.

Probably never dreamed he would save a penalty taken by Lionel Messi.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That Peru penalty miss was hilarious.

Edit: oh shit wrong thread

the ball's probably just flown over the stadiums where these group matches are played so I'll allow it.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

L'Équipe headline for tomorrow in reference to Argentina v Iceland;

"Iceland didn't stop Messi, Argetina themselves did it!"

Messi stopped Messi in terms of the pen. Stop looking for excuses for him, I think he's as great as you but placing him as some helpless victim isn't going to excuse him. He didn't have a great game, he's still got two games. Even if he plays brilliantly it may not be enough.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Messi stopped Messi in terms of the pen. Stop looking for excuses for him, I think he's as great as you but placing him as some helpless victim isn't going to excuse him. He didn't have a great game, he's still got two games. Even if he plays brilliantly it may not be enough.

I agree. There must be a middle and rational between mocking Messi and saying he´s a choker for not winning title with Argentina and making excuses and blaming his own failures at his teammates.

Yes, Argentina is not a proper team. They have no midfield and a shaky defence. On the other hand, Messi despite trying hard and playing a decent match, failed to decide. 

Having sad that, I think Croatia and Nigeria, despite being better teams than Iceland, are probably more favorable matchups to Argentna than Iceland. They´ll leave more spaces to the talented argentinian attack.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived