• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Eco

FIFA open Disciplinary Proceedings against Shaqiri and Xhaka

Recommended Posts

This is in reference to their Albania sings made during the Swiss match against Serbia.

Granted, my ignorance on this topic is very little, so any insight would be helpful. I have done some research online, but nothing that would make this such a huge deal, other than the fact that I guess both Shaqiri and Xhaka are both from what is now Kosovo.

_102172514_xhaka_shaqiri_epa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kosovo has always been Kosovo because it's a city (and a country)! The ex-Yugoslavia is a tense area of the world, I imagine it has to do with the disputed independence of Kosovo as there are tensions between Albania and Serbia, as the later claims dominion over Kosovo while Albania supports and independent Kosovo. Imagine having two ethnic groups that despise each other split a city with a ratio of about 1 Serb to 3 Albanians. Imagine America and Mexico playing against each other and when an American scores he gestures about 'the wall' or some other pro-American anti-Mexico imagery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That sign can mean all sorts of things. Dove of peace id say if i was them. Fuck Serbia, bitter losers.

Did Serbia even make a complaint to FIFA about it? Or are FIFA just investigating regardless?

I know FIFA are being labelled as corrupt by Serbia for the Mitrovic penalty incidents (much like us England fans do) but that's a separate matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That sign can mean all sorts of things. Dove of peace id say if i was them. Fuck Serbia, bitter losers.

You will see that sign in every standard shadow puppet book for children.

 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think fifa need to get involved in this bullshit but if Shaqiri and Xhaka are that arsed about Albania then they should play for their national team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now they both face two-match bans O.o

Serbian FA is also under investigation for crowd disturbance and offensive political messages by its fans, while an investigation is also opened against Mladen Krstajic for his statements after the match.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think fifa need to get involved in this bullshit but if Shaqiri and Xhaka are that arsed about Albania then they should play for their national team.

that's also my drift here.    yeah, they're paying respect for their mother country but c'mon, both of them hold switzerland citizenship, they're playing for their national team.  they should have made a gesture of eating chocolates or winding down the clock in respect to their adoptive country.

 

but i can't find any reason to why fifa, if any, would sanction them .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44592846

For anyone wondering why FIFA are putting their fingers in this.

Under article 54 of the governing body's disciplinary code, "anyone who provokes the general public during a match will be suspended for two matches and sanctioned with a minimum fine of 5,000 Swiss francs (£3,800)".

It could however be argued that the crowd started this whole mess and that both Xhaka and Shaqiri were also provoked. All that said, what they did was 100% wrong and if they get two match bans it will surely see Switzerland neutered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A ban would be ridiculous for Xhaka or Shaqiri. To be honest, they should be commended. The Serbian fans booing Xhaka & Shaqiri before the goals were even scored now being offended is brilliant. Them being protective or even proud of their ugly past is pretty disgusting. The scumbags that were there wearing tops with the face of Ratko Mladic are just pieces of shit and if anyone's deserving of bans, it's those cunts.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing, lets be honest. It was ridiculously irresponsible by both Xhaka and Shaqiri to celebrate as they did. Given the history behind the celebrations and the general behaviour of the Serbia fans, they put a lot of people at risk with their actions. Anything could have happened. Fifa no doubt, and quite rightly, feel obliged to nip such behaviour in the bud.

At the same time, I'm not sure how I feel about them receiving bans which effectively ends theirs and Switzerland's tournament just based on the very high precedent it sets that's inevitably going to come under scrutiny when countries get fined pittance for issues such as racial chanting. Large fines would be an appropriate punishment.

Given there were Serbian fans wearing hoodies with photos of Ratko Mladic and are under investigation for crowd disturbance, again, you could already argue if these two are getting two match bans then a two match stadium ban is a fitting punishment for them.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the bans been announced? surely they just drag out the hearing on the suspension until after they're knocked out of the world cup?

Edited by Harry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not yet, but the decision is expected to be made today.

It's interesting how most of the media sources are not reporting that Lichtsteiner is under investigation and faces the ban for the same celebration, too, so it would be three key players missing for the Swiss...

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch FIFA come out and say that their will be no bans as players have said that they were doing the sign of the "Dove of Peace". xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

First thing, lets be honest. It was ridiculously irresponsible by both Xhaka and Shaqiri to celebrate as they did. Given the history behind the celebrations and the general behaviour of the Serbia fans, they put a lot of people at risk with their actions. Anything could have happened. Fifa no doubt, and quite rightly, feel obliged to nip such behaviour in the bud.

At the same time, I'm not sure how I feel about them receiving bans which effectively ends theirs and Switzerland's tournament just based on the very high precedent it sets that's inevitably going to come under scrutiny when countries get fined pittance for issues such as racial chanting. Large fines would be an appropriate punishment.

Given there were Serbian fans wearing hoodies with photos of Ratko Mladic and are under investigation for crowd disturbance, again, you could already argue if these two are getting two match bans then a two match stadium ban is a fitting punishment for them.

Agree with all of this, 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OFFICIAL:  FIFA decided to issue no bans, only fines for all three players (Xhaka and Shaqiri 10000 CHF, Lichtsteiner 5000 CHF).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

OFFICIAL:  FIFA decided to issue no bans, only fines for all three players (Xhaka and Shaqiri 10000 CHF, Lichtsteiner 5000 CHF).

correct decision.

Bans would have been harsh.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

correct decision.

Bans would have been harsh.

Yes, and would have set a bad precedent, too.

A bit silly and completely unnecessary from the players involved, but can easily happen in the heat of the moment, considering the emotions involved. Must be a big relief for Switzerland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanity prevails. Expected FIFA to be ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yes, and would have set a bad precedent, too.

A bit silly and completely unnecessary from the players involved, but can easily happen in the heat of the moment, considering the emotions involved. Must be a big relief for Switzerland.

yep, and given the reaction from the Serbia fans towards them I don't blame them for giving some back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Why was Lichtsteiner doing it?

Apparently in solidarity with the other two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fifa also need to look into Germany with Ozil and Gundogan who refuse to sing the German anthem incase it upsets their families,  also to be involved with the support of Erdogan in the Turkish election.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Why was Lichtsteiner doing it?

If a bunch of twats were giving my friends/co-workers/teammates shit for their ethnicity, I'd use every opportunity I have to hurt shit back at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saudi player was doing the same celebration today, haha.

DgjKGy4X4AAascj.jpg:large

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Saudi player was doing the same celebration today, haha.

DgjKGy4X4AAascj.jpg:large

Probably wants a ban so he doesn't have to play International football for his country anymore.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Serbian FA gets a fine of 54000 CHF for the discriminatory banners and messages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Fifa also need to look into Germany with Ozil and Gundogan who refuse to sing the German anthem incase it upsets their families,  also to be involved with the support of Erdogan in the Turkish election.  

Punishing people for not singing? xDIronically it's something that I could see Erdogan doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement