talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

Just now, Cannabis said:

We need a Jonjo Shelvey that isn't AIDS at everything other than passing. 

Make Joe Allen stand in front of a running microwave until the radiation eventually changes his nationality to English?

Hopefully Loftus-Cheek develops further because I think he could end up being for England's future if he keeps it up. He impressed me in his showings.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dalmore said:

England had a decent journey until the semi-final but in my opinion you shouldn't go through Colombia that way it was unfair for the Cafeteros.

How was it unfair xD. One team came to kick the fuck out of the other and cheat their way to a win. Boo fucking hoo.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Make Joe Allen stand in front of a running microwave until the radiation eventually changes his nationality to English?

Hopefully Loftus-Cheek develops further because I think he could end up being for England's future if he keeps it up. He impressed me in his showings.

Jesus if we're going to those lengths you'd think we'd pick someone better than Joe Allen xD

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The 2006 England side had a lot of fucking talent, I don't think it's disputable. But it also didn't play very good football or progress in any meaningful way in the tournament that would get the country excited. So I don't think that would qualify as the best England side (certainly it's not the best England side in my lifetime), nor would I say it was memorable.

2006 England was better than this but that's of course my opinion. You would have reached the semi final and thus the same outcome as this tournament if it wasn't for that shoot-out. Needed that extra luck you got in this edition's bracket.

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Jesus if we're going to those lengths you'd think we'd pick someone better than Joe Allen xD

I imagine it takes less radiation to turn a Welshman into an Englishman than a non-Brit xD but I'm all for trying it on someone better.

And to think people sniggered when I said I'd like Shelvey on the plane beforehand. We desperately needed creativity in the midfield tonight, and who did we bring on? ERIC FUCKING DIRE.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've always thought he was sorta poo tbh. But I'm not an expert on him.

I just mean considering the profile of him and the style of player, imagining he were to really kick on in the next few years.

Just now, Inverted said:

I just mean considering the profile of him and the style of player, imagining he were to really kick on in the next few years.

I mean sure, if he really kicked on he certainly fits the mold there with the style of play and whatnot. But I don't necessarily think he will make that step up. I'd rather have Loftus-Cheek get his shot at Chelsea (unlikely given their history in youth development) or make a move elsewhere. I think he's got the right attributes to be a very good midfielder, both at the club level and for England.

I'm actually a bit disappointed he didn't get more of a look in.

Frankly, too many people wilted under the pressure tonight. The first half was okay, we started well, had a quality opening fifteen-twenty minutes, got a goal from our first attack and then, pressure, fatigue, quality (or a lack of) told and Croatia bossed the game, especially with their midfield two of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic. That was coming, you could see that Croatia were on the front foot, England dropped deep, looked leggy and forced Jordan Pickford to make saves. 

I think we've all thought it and probably said it on here after every game in the tournament but England's defence has looked like leaking goals and a couple of individual errors from people like John Stones and Kieran Trippier have seen England lose that. It's such a shame that these errors happened to be on the biggest stage but they were coming at some point and that was tonight. 

Two shots on target tells you what you need to know from tonight. The attacking players simply didn't perform and gave Harry Kane as much service as those Thai kids' mobile phones did. 

That said, I don't want to be super critical of the England team as they've exceeded all expectations and got to a World Cup Semi-Final for the first time in my lifetime after winning in injury time, sticking six past a team, seeing an England striker score a hattrick, winning a bloody penalty shootout and winning a game as comfortably as I can remember against a decent side before going 120 minutes in the penultimate game of the tournament. It's a bit shit and it's a bit gutting but I've really enjoyed watching this England side in this tournament and I hope we can keep this side together and continue this form into the UEFA Nations League and the qualifiers for the next Euros. 

Shelvey was a flavour of the month, not done anything to justify a call up. Get over it.

Sterling's finishing has been a major let down, a major reason as to why we've struggled to score in open play. But his build up play and stretching the defence has been class.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The 2006 were a bit shit behind the scenes. Too many egos and not enough passion, I wouldn't swap this side for them.

Not being funny but I just couldn't fully get behind thundecunts like Gerrard and Ashley Cole. Plus you had absolute AIDS in there like Peter Crouch. 

I think the 2002 side was really good. I really thought you were going to eliminate us after the 1st goal. Perhaps with a better goalkepper, you could´ve beat us. 

The 1998 was really good as well. 

England has a good team and this run will give you the experience and confidence needed in the following tournaments.  

The best two teams over the whole tournament are in the final. 

England have accomplished a feat I never expected. They've reunited the people with the football team. It's been massive progress. Let's be grateful.

Let's enjoy the final but be happy with our outstanding effort.

Just now, El Profesor said:

I think the 2002 side was really good. I really thought you were going to eliminate us after the 1st goal. Perhaps with a better goalkepper, you could´ve beat us. 

The 1998 was really good as well. 

England has a good team and this run will give you the experience and confidence needed in the following tournaments.  

That tournament we were the second best team. Just a shitter we had to play you when we did.

20 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

A few years ago when Russia out corrupted England to win the right to host the world cup my father was angry. He said to me he would be dead before England get to host the world. I went off to my room incredibly upset over what he had said, the thought that my dad would die soon and not get something so simple and obvious an experience ripped me apart. I spent this world cup in London and had said to myself that I would go home for the final to spend it with my father as it would be a sort of compensation for what he had lost. That is not to be tonight and I am distraught over it.

I just hope my club will win something before I lose my father.

Deep mate.

No worries. Something will get your way, someday. 

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

That tournament we were the second best team. Just a shitter we had to play you when we did.

Agree. That was our toughest match. A bit unlucky to you it was the quarter-finals, because you were much better than any other team in the other side of the bracket, Germany probably found the easiest path to a final I can remember of. 

I think the 2002 was better than the 2006 one. In my opinion, you took too long to fire Sven, the team was clearly underperfoming at that point.

• Subscriber

Disappointed but proud, this group gave the nation a fantastic couple of weeks, they brought people together, playing with passion & showed that playing for England meant something again. We found a manager with integrity, an identity & a togetherness not seen in my lifetime.

Obviously people can talk about the route, our best chance etc. and as gutted as I am, I think we just need appreciate what this squad have given us. The late 90s early 2000s had extremely talented squads that disappointed. The late 2000s, early 2010s have been complete letdowns. So this expectations for this team were at an all time low. Yet they’ve given me my best memories watching England, they’ve created an atmosphere ive never seen before. This is a shift in culture - I’m in no doubt this experience is going to help our young team. 

I cant wait for this group of players to get back to England and to applaud them for their wonderful tournament, not boo, not chant they let their country down, I respect the job every last one of them has done for us.

• Subscriber

@Inverted know I'm going back several posts but to be fair when it was Wales run at the Euros they got the home nation treatment. Not to the same extent as England obviously, but if Scotland or Northern Ireland were knocked out of a major semi final too you could expect the BBC and ITV teams to be talking about them as well, not the opposition.

It'll take me a few days to really do the post mortem but maybe Southgate was exposed with his tactics. Croatia certainly figured us out, did us in with the high press and we wasted time trying to go long when it wasn't working. Kane shouldn't have been playing deep but watching I thought he may have been carrying a knock. The one thing I would say was that taking Sterling off seemed odd. Might have had a poor end product at this tournament but his pace had their defenders constantly on the back foot.

Going back to Southgate and tactics though, we have to make sure we give him the chance to learn from this defeat. Just because he may have been outdone tactically tonight doesn't mean we have to go full "English media" and permanently decide that he's a limited manager, a good man manager but limited tactically. Only when a manager makes the same mistakes again and again does that become a concern. I look forward to seeing what he can do with this team over the next two years and possibly beyond.

Southgate is also limited by the talent at his disposal. Only Kane is anywhere near the ‘world class’ tag. We’ve still got a dodgy defence and zero creativity or controlling midfielders. Let’s see if we can include a few new faces in this team in 2020.

The Southgate talk in this thread is quite reminiscent of what my dad said about Bobby Robson. The squad was forced on him in Italia 90 and we very average until the semi final. Makes you think that without Sky power and social media what would have been of that team.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived