• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 1st September - Leicester 1-2 Liverpool

football forums

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Danny said:

Maddison clearly is a very good footballer and will become one for Leicester but has been very gash at times in terms of not adapting to the quality/pace of the division.

Really? I thought he was Leicester's best player along with Chillwell. 

Didn't look out of place at all I thought. 

• Subscriber

Our best two performances this season we've lost and our worst two we've won xD

Started slowly as per usual. Very lucky to not be behind after about 3 minutes. Were after 10. We did gradually start to look better in the first half but I just knew we were going to concede another avoidable, soft goal before the break that would give us too much to do. It's the same story time and time again with us. When we won the league we were incredibly effective in both boxes. Now we are the complete opposite.

I generally agree with @Danny that we do hold onto the ball well, unrecognisable from what we've been built on for years, but my god we're incapable of that final ball and we still concede too many avoidable goals. Morgan just cannot possibly start from now on. He's so past it at this level now it's painful to see.

Gray was ineffective. Iheanacho in fairness did very well for the goal even if it was a laughable bit of play from Alisson. Maddison I agree again with Danny, he's got undoubted quality but he's going to take a while to really adapt, you get less time than in the Championship. He will get there but currently he's a little bit off. I thought our midfielders had good games and I thought Ghezzal got better with time.

Even despite what I've just said about Maddison, what the fuck Puel was doing taking him off for Amartey in the 80th minute I've absolutely no idea.

We weren't bad but this happens far too frequently. I don't think Liverpool were at their best but we've let them off the hook, and this happens time, and time, and time again with us and it's so fucking frustrating.

Stupid from Alisson but it's nice to have a confident goalkeeper for once 🤣 

Very average performance today, Was frustrating to watch at times because we weren't ourselves today especially the front 3. Still to come away with the win after a shit display is hugely important for us.

• Subscriber

Just seen the Leicester goal. Think I said it last week but it's rare you get a keeper who does stuff like that chip over the Brighton player that doesn't eventually get caught out trying to be clever at some point. Hopefully for Liverpool he learns from that today and doesn't repeat it in a more high stakes situation.

• Administrator

Starting Gray as lone striker was fucking weird. Never gonna work against a player like Van Dijk. Don't get why you'd play Iheanacho for half a game vs Fleetwood but not start him. 

Disappointed with the way we started. Too slow again and Liverpool capitalised. Thought it was gonna be a rout when Mane bagged in first 10mins.

Didnt think Liverpool deserved their second goal. We came back in to the game and second half we probably should have equalised.

Alisson xD xDHow's he gonna blame Van Dijk for the bad pass as well?! Tried to be too clever and failed miserably. 

The other fucking weird decision is taking Maddison off. He ran the game in the 2nd half and was a key player for us getting back in to it. Gitted we couldn't grab a point as think it would have been fair. Same happened against Utd. Lost out despite playing well. We missed Vardy today though. He'd have made a big difference. 

• Subscriber

Alisson will either nip that side of his game or Klopp will do it for him haha, silly mistake but as long as we walked away with the 3 points I could care less. I am still amazed at the longevity of James Milner because if anyone had told us that we were getting what we got for a free transfer I'd have gone "eh?". Nice to see Bobby get on the sheet too and hes slowly getting back into rhythm, now we just need Mo to get his match sharpness up before our first CL game and things will start to fall into place. 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Starting Gray as lone striker was fucking weird. Never gonna work against a player like Van Dijk. Don't get why you'd play Iheanacho for half a game vs Fleetwood but not start him. 

Disappointed with the way we started. Too slow again and Liverpool capitalised. Thought it was gonna be a rout when Mane bagged in first 10mins.

Didnt think Liverpool deserved their second goal. We came back in to the game and second half we probably should have equalised.

Alisson xD xDHow's he gonna blame Van Dijk for the bad pass as well?! Tried to be too clever and failed miserably. 

The other fucking weird decision is taking Maddison off. He ran the game in the 2nd half and was a key player for us getting back in to it. Gitted we couldn't grab a point as think it would have been fair. Same happened against Utd. Lost out despite playing well. We missed Vardy today though. He'd have made a big difference. 

It's literally every single game. It's beyond me how this hasn't been addressed. Is it the youth of the side and nerves getting to them at the start of games? It was happening in pre-season as well.

I also think we're a striker light. Might scream of desperation but I'm not sure I'd have sold Ulloa in hindsight. Slimani forget about as he's a bad egg and wasn't popular.

Hopefully this fixture will be a good learning curve for Liverpool. They weren't great, but they got the three points before they head in to a run of difficult fixtures. It's the ideal situation as you'd expect them to be more focused than complacent as a result of this performance.

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I am just reading that Alisson cost you the goal today while attempting a Cruyff turn that went tits up is that right??? 

And if so... has anyone got it?

Don't think he even got started on the Cruyff turn. He got the ball, got under pressure from Iheanacho, turned around to try and block him, Iheanacho stole the ball and played it across. It was terrible and could have cost Liverpool the game. 

6 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

He had a weird match. He was clearly one of their better players, but wasn’t paying attention for our second and did make some unforced errors. I don’t think he should have been taken off though, I agree he and Chillwell were their best players.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I agree. Not sure what Danny was watching as he turned it round for us 2nd half and helped pile pressure on. If anything he's adapted quickly to the pace of this league.. 

Puel got his tactics all wrong in the first half - once the changes were made second half Leicester gave it a good go and were unfortunate not to equalise. Gray and Maddison are too inexperienced and not good enough to play the false 9 position, particularly against Liverpool, and it was only when Leicester brought on a striker as a focal point for others to play off did they threaten. 

The mistake by Alisson will hopefully act as a wake up call he can't play out like an outfield player every time - there is a time and place just to smash it out of play/down the pitch.

I’d like to note, I hope Gomez stays healthy all season. He’s been great next to VvD and it looks a better partnership than VvD & Lovren (which I thought looked pretty good last year). He looks so much better at CB than at RB as well. He’s had a few bad injuries in his short career, I hope he can keep fit and keep developing. Solid defender and very quick for a big lad.

• Subscriber

Maddison didn't play badly as such I just thought he had everything until the final ball - which he often got it nicked off him just before he played it for example. He was central to a couple of quality passing moves in the first half.

Chilwell continues to impress. Him and Ricardo have been probably our best players so far.

Alisson afaik went all of last season without making an arse of himself, so it had to happen at some point.

Only need to look at Neuer, Ter Stegen, Reina, etc. Lloris makes his fair share of howlers and then some but it's basically ignored because Spurs don't attract clicks. 

• The title was changed to Saturday 1st September - Leicester 1-2 Liverpool
8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Just takes too long at times, pretty much like Leicester he's been great up until he gets to the area and then has struggled. Probably used to being able to take more time in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah I agree. Not sure what Danny was watching as he turned it round for us 2nd half and helped pile pressure on. If anything he's adapted quickly to the pace of this league.. 

Great in possession, but when he got to the final third he just needs to be quicker and like your team in general have a bit more confidence in their ability to attack the goal.

4 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I am just reading that Alisson cost you the goal today while attempting a Cruyff turn that went tits up is that right??? 

And if so... has anyone got it?

Pretty much mate. After his highly publicised chip last week players will be looking for that all season. 

Archived