talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Gerrard V's Lampard

Players that never or haven't yet won the European Cup / Champions League

• Diego Maradona
  • Roberto Baggio
  • Gabriel Batistuta
  • Dennis Bergkamp
  • Gianluigi Buffon
  • Eric Cantona
  • Lothar Mathäus
  • Pavel Nedved
  • Ronaldo
  • Francesco Totti
  • Patrick Vieira
  • Alan Shearer
  • Andreas Brehme
  • Giuseppe Bergomi
  • Fabio Cannavaro
  • Tony Adams
  • Zlatan Ibrahimović

There's probably more that I can't think of right now, but I've said it before that this is a collective sport and entering a valuation of a footballer on the fact he may or may not have won this or that is stupid.  Diego Maradona never won the Ballon d'Or or any version of the best player in the world award and to dispute his significance on the historic stage is to deserve a good whipping with the most flexible stick available...  6 good lashings on the back of the knees if you ask me.  That type of argument like the one about scoring goals is exclusive to this fanboy era!  It's the type of argument people on low intelligence use to criticise Lionel Messi for example because he Argentina hasvn't won the World Cup...

What... Ronaldo isn't one of the greatest strikers in the history of the game?

Remember this also on LFCMadLad's quoting of Alan Shearer and the same can go for many other players...  There are a multitude of clubs and top players have played an play everywhere.  It's a matter of chance whether a team wins something apart from having to have a great collective at any given moment.  So many factors have to be looked at and Shearer like others were a top player within their respective clubs which makes everything so subjective and based on personal opinion but with one thing in common which is WE KNOW which players were or are great and no need to apply winning trophies that the collective have to win together.

I only hated Gerrard because he was really good and always played well against us. 

I was coming home from a Southampton stayover when he slipped, hungover. That last hour or so on the coach was great. 

Edited by HK85
  • Upvote 1

On pure ability it's about even, or possibly a slight edge towards Lampard, but Gerrard's ability to drag Liverpool to results (the 2nd half at Istanbul being the most obvious example) makes him overall the greater footballer, for me personally. 

Edited by Inverted

For me there's no difference on productivity between both Gerrard and Lampard...  The difference from a spectator's point of view (this spectator) was one was all passion while the other was all class where their football is concerned.

From an opposition viewpoint Gerrard was better. Dictated games. Could cut you in pieces and turn a game on it's head from his own half. Practically single handedly beat us on a few occasions with goals and assists. Best midfielder I've seen against Newcastle along with Luis Figo.

Lampard was frightening when in space to shoot, which is a lot when you have defenders like we have had over the years. It's a toss up between Lampard and Scholes for that type of goal threat.