talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

War For The Planet Of The Apes - 8/10

Andy Serkis deserves an Oscar. There's no getting around the power of his performance in this, the conclusion of the prequel Apes trilogy of films.

In Rise, he portrayed the character of Caesar as a fast-maturing ape who was learning to grapple with his human side. In Dawn, we say that humanity firmly take hold after what was left of his peaceful ape habits began to fade. Now, in War, like Anakin Skywalker, his goodness is in constant battle with his darker side, and the result is at times chilling. But this is what makes Caesar as a character, so compelling.

The film starts off really solidly. Action from the word go, fantastic scenery, and an absorbing plot which runs along at a fluent pace keeping you firmly absorbed for the first hour or so. After being teed up nicely, the second half of the film doesn't quite reach the high expectation levels set from the start for me. And I would also say that the film was a little longer than it needed to be given the direction in which they took it. However, that said, it is still more than enjoyable.

If you liked the previous two, you will enjoy this film. Best compliment I would say is that film trilogy's have a habit of starting strong then getting weaker but in this case, the third film is as good, and probably a little better, than the first for me.

Just saw 'War Of The Planet Of the Apes.'

I think the trailer and posters are terribly misleading. They imply about this great war between Apes and humans, when the movie is far from any war between the two species, apart from few skirmishes. This is more of a drama movie, with few actions scenes. But it's a damn fine drama movie. The story unravels beautifully and the characters (most of them) seem believable.

I agree with @Lucas about the second half. I think it's largely down to Woody Harrelson's character. He is no where near as good as Koba who was played so brilliantly by Toby Kebbell. Koba had such a huge impact in the second movie, and he was the perfect foil for Caesar. And that, I felt, took some sting from this movie.

Still, this is a really good movie -- a good drama movie -- may I add. Andy Serkis' portrayal of Caesar is awesome. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

4 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Just saw 'War Of The Planet Of the Apes.'

I think the trailer and posters are terribly misleading. They imply about this great war between Apes and humans, when the movie is far from any war between the two species, apart from few skirmishes. This is more of a drama movie, with few actions scenes. But it's a damn fine drama movie. The story unravels beautifully and the characters (most of them) seem believable.

I agree with @Lucas about the second half. I think it's largely down to Woody Harrelson's character. He is no where near as good as Koba who was played so brilliantly by Toby Kebbell. Koba had such a huge impact in the second movie, and he was the perfect foil for Caesar. And that, I felt, took some sting from this movie.

Still, this is a really good movie -- a good drama movie -- may I add. Andy Serkis' portrayal of Caesar is awesome. 

I was a little disappointed this wasn't the case too given the route they eventually took, especially as the start was so gripping because of such action.

I actually think they missed a trick with The Colonel's character (Woody Harrelson). I've seen him play a bad guy before in Out of the Furnace and if he was portrayed as sinister as that, I think it could have potentially set up a great altercation between him and Caeser.

Alien Covenant - 3/10

How to take an original and brilliant idea, and then flush it down the toilet.

Movie brilliantly elaborates how stubborn Ridley Scott really is.

NO ONE fucking asked for another movie about the damn Xenomorphs. The concept of Prometheus and the Engineers was brilliant, leading up to a sequel where the main character and David found the 'paradise' planet to know more about our creators. 

"Nah, fuck that Fam. Let's just add more aliens and the same shit" - Ridley Scott. 

Instead, this waste of a film took an original idea, and dismembered it with the same recycled Alien shit. 

1. Group of space travelers find a mysterious planet. 

2. Find Engineer ship. 

3. Get infected with a Xenomorph Embryo

4. Xenomorph gets born and kills off the crew. 

5. Boards the ship, kill off as many as it can before dying. 

Rinse and Fucking repeat. Fuck you Scott. Waited 5 years waiting for this absolute rubbish of a sequel. 

Edited by Cicero

Watched a Spanish movie, Que Dios Nos Perdone, the other day. A good serial killer movie, largely because of how well the leads acted, especially Antonio Torre and Javier Pereira. It was hard for me to take Roberto Almamo seriously despite being terrific in the film, because he reminded me of Rob Corddry.

Saw the Aussie movie 'Berlin Syndrome'.

Slow, dark and a realistic take on the subject of a creep taking a female captive. They showed Teresa Palmer, who was brilliant by the way, going through all sorts of emotions here towards her captor and the situation. Quite a nice thriller.

Took my lads to see Spider-Man: Homecoming and I enjoyed it. Anything with Marisa Tomei in it though gets a thumbs up from me. Michael Keaton surprised me as Vulture. Didn't think it would work, but he was okay. 7.5/10

2 hours ago, Large said:

Took my lads to see Spider-Man: Homecoming and I enjoyed it. Anything with Marisa Tomei in it though gets a thumbs up from me. Michael Keaton surprised me as Vulture. Didn't think it would work, but he was okay. 7.5/10

I'd like to get my thumb up Marisa Tomei. Rawr

'Suspicion'

Classic Hitchcock. Making you wondering what's what throughout the movie.

8/10

'Sukkar Banat (Caramel)'

7/10

'Chikamatsu Monogatari (The crucified lovers)'

7.5/10

'The Italian Job'

A bit outdated. Didn't enjoyed it much.

6/10

Star Wars 2. Attack of the clones. 

5/10. They lose at least 2 points for casting the mechanical hayden christenson as anakin and the weirdest stalkerish non genuine feeling romantic subplot I've seen in a movie.