talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

The one thing that punctuates these press briefings now are the constant "we've been very clear that..." and "as I said at the start of this briefing..." comments from ministers instead of actually answering the questions directly or clearly. It's a very deliberate use of language from the cabinet because it's consistent across the various ministers, trying to make it sound like it's the media or the public who are misinterpreting or not listening properly to their instructions. Annoying and fascinating at the same time.

Everyone seen the footage of the clap on Westminster Bridge last night? Fucking braindead twats.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

The one thing that punctuates these press briefings now are the constant "we've been very clear that..." and "as I said at the start of this briefing..." comments from ministers instead of actually answering the questions directly or clearly. It's a very deliberate use of language from the cabinet because it's consistent across the various ministers, trying to make it sound like it's the media or the public who are misinterpreting or not listening properly to their instructions. Annoying and fascinating at the same time.

Everyone seen the footage of the clap on Westminster Bridge last night? Fucking braindead twats.

That's a Trump administration tactic. Be incredibly vague on every issue possible, then claim you've been very very clear and it's someone else's fault that nobody knows what the fuck is going on. Wait until the government starts directly contradicting itself then gets indignant that the media says things like "uhh… that's not what you said a few days ago."

It's a shame to see a government facing a public health crisis acting like this. But not that surprising.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Police just standing there like there's nothing wrong happening.

Sit on a park bench for 2 minutes too long? 'FUCK OFF GO BACK HOME OR YOU WILL BE FINED!'

Stand in a crowd on a bridge amongst other emergency service people? 'all fine, nothing going on here, carry on'.

It was weird. The sentiment is obviously fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But there's sheer deluded irony there. Clap for the carers who you might end up getting care from because you're clapping in a fucking crowd. 

So the new furlough cut of date probably won't help many people. You have to have submitted an RTI form. Virtually everyone who is paid monthly probably won't benefit from the moved date because most would have been submitted after that date.  Before the new cut of date was bought in it wasn't so clear on what evidence was required. Basically the conservative party haven't done anything they are just trying to make it look like they have.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

20 London bus drivers have died. From Monday no one is allowed to board at the front of the bus.

There's talk that when the tube opens back up no one will be allowed on without a mask, but obvious procurement problem to overcome before then.

I thought that bus ruling came in last week. Or maybe it was only a trial. 

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

I thought that bus ruling came in last week. Or maybe it was only a trial. 

Only just got email myself.

Meanwhile

• A “best case scenario” being worked on by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) hopes to end lockdown restrictions for certain non-essential shops and industries in the short-term, from early to mid-May.

• Some social distancing measures could then gradually be relaxed in the medium-term, in June and July, eventually leading to the reopening of pubs and restaurants towards the end of the summer.

• Long-term “shielding” for elderly and vulnerable people could mean the public being told they face limits on seeing over-70s parents or grandparents for as long as 12-18 months until a vaccine is found.

• The timeline relies on SAGE scientists calculating how many new COVID-19 infections per day the UK’s test and trace capabilities can manage, and an “impossible” political decision for Downing Street on how many deaths per day they are willing to accept in order to be able to lift some restrictions before there is a vaccine

23 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's a Trump administration tactic. Be incredibly vague on every issue possible, then claim you've been very very clear and it's someone else's fault that nobody knows what the fuck is going on. Wait until the government starts directly contradicting itself then gets indignant that the media says things like "uhh… that's not what you said a few days ago."

It's a shame to see a government facing a public health crisis acting like this. But not that surprising.

It’s a politics & media issue throughout the western world, I’ve had “press training.”

it started where I played the Government minister responsible for transport. I was given facts & figures and told pros & cons and ideals etc and told to be interviewed. The interviewer was acting as the press. 

I went to my facts, I was twisted like a pretzel, leading questions, twisting of statements it was a complete car crash. They didn’t care they were hunting sound bites or headlines they could drive clicks or sales through. So for the second run the guy running the course taught me how to do the same again but ignore each question and reiterate my “statement” it worked, I never answered any question but the reporter never got the headline. 

those watching felt that first time I’d been lying, second time 65% overriding feeling was my “statement” . 

that’s essentially what our politics/ press has become, neither are interested in what’s said, it’s more a case of being perceived to not be a disaster by politicians and seen to hold them to the fire by the press. Only losers is us really

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Stanford study seems to suggest mortality rate of COVID is radically less than what's been thought previously

Tbh I’ve been thinking about it and how can anyone tell? So many different factors that a lot of facts figures are meaningless. You have apparently different strains, ethnicity , population density, ICU capacity are all contributing factors. 

25 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

@Inti Brian what's this gender distancing they have in Peru instead of social distancing? 

Basically women can only go out on some days and men on the others. On Sunday nobody can go out.

I think the only others who are doing it are the Panamanians. 

On 16/04/2020 at 11:14, Harry said:

@ASF one thing I did find interesting though is this clip from one of our former PM's. Basically saying Yeah every government already knows the WHO are sympathetic towards China and therefore knows to take their comments with a grain of salt. Hence why most countries had their own experts recommending early action ahead of what the world health organisation were putting out.

Shame that most Western countries didn't do it, though. Preferring to maintain the boarders open and free movement of people.

Commerce will reopen over here, at the start of May. 

Not surprising, after the IMF predicted our GDP will fall 8% this year.

7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Tbh I’ve been thinking about it and how can anyone tell? So many different factors that a lot of facts figures are meaningless. You have apparently different strains, ethnicity , population density, ICU capacity are all contributing factors. 

Yeah I agree. I'm a bit wary of these Stanford guys as I heard their work being spoken about by right wing Australian politicians several days  as evidence we should end the shutdown and just let the virus do it's worst, days before anyone wrote about the results.

Best examples of the virus are cruise ships or countries that have a really good handle on their outbreak.

In Melbourne we're running 2000 tests a day and finding 5 cases, with anyone who wants a a test who is symptomatic able to get one. Our death rate is about 1%. 

But there can be no figure that will universally apply anyway given the number of variables in play. What's the death rate in a country with unlimited ICU capacity vs one in a country with no hospitals whatsoever? 

Just been watching an interview with Billy Liar (aka Gove) who, when asked about the possibility of the tracking app to keep tabs on those who might have had contact with those with or suspected of having the virus confirmed that you would be allowed out if you could demonstrate that you had the all downloaded on to your phone. Looks as if I will be locked down forever.  I don't have, don't need, never want a mobile phone so that's me stuffed then!  Next week he will be insisting we all sign up to facebook, then Gawd help us!

Edited by SchalkeUK
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Do you know why?

I'm actually not entirely sure what the purpose is to be honest unless there's some sort of science behind it. While I agree with most of the measurements the government is taking, I don't really understand this one entirely. I just know we're not the only country deploying it. After looking into it a bit more, it's because Vizcarra thinks the previous measures were "not what he'd hoped for" and it's to get fewer people out at once. I can't say it makes sense even with that explanation.

Some people, including my family have complained about it.