talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator

It's in football...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51762943

Danish side Brondby have quarantined 13 people, including a player and their assistant coach, after former Denmark international Thomas Kahlenberg was diagnosed with coronavirus.

Brondby director of communications Christian Schultz says Kahlenberg contracted the virus in Amsterdam last weekend and was at Brondby's game against Lyngby on Sunday.

Defender Joel Kabongo, 21, is in quarantine alongside assistant coach Martin Retov, while Lyngby also have three players in isolation.

Schultz told BBC Radio 5 Live that Kabongo met Kahlenberg after the game because they were former team-mates and they "shook hands".

Schultz also confirmed that their data analyst, psychologist and nine members of staff, including their chief executive Ole Palma, were in isolation.

Lyngby midfielder Martin Ornskov, right-back Kasper Jorgensen and left-back Patrick da Silva are also in 14-day quarantine after meeting Kahlenberg after the game.

Schultz said Kahlenberg was "very, very sorry for the commotion he's caused" but he was in "good spirits".

He also revealed former Liverpool midfielder and now Ajax assistant coach Christian Poulsen is in quarantine after being with Kahlenberg in Amsterdam.

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf are also reporting that exercise physiologist Alessandro Schoenmaker and one of the Ajax physiotherapists are in quarantine.

There have been more than 90,000 cases of the virus in 88 countries.

5 hours ago, Azeem said:

Iran, South Korea and possibly US are under reporting or hiding something

I imagine most countries it’s showed up in are under reporting tbh. Iran’s got big issues with an incompetent government & has a hard time getting access to testing kits. The US has competence issues with the head of state directly contradicting the CDC and WHO.

And I don’t know enough about South Korea to comment, but I’d suspect that the long incubation period means there’s a lot of people infected that don’t know they should be tested. And I assume that’s probably the case everywhere, which means the actual number of cases everywhere is likely higher than the reported number of cases everywhere.

• Upvote 3

On 03/03/2020 at 03:53, Inti Brian said:

Still no *confirmed* cases in Peru. 3 suspected cases though.

I still don't think we are at huge risk compared to other continents but we did get hit hard by Swine Flu so you never know.

First confirmed case in Peru this morning.

23 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

If people are bothered about footballers doing a handshake prior to a game of football, what do they think of footballers, sweating, spitting, manhandling each other etc?

I think the lack of a handshake thing is really more just for "public awareness" that there's a very contagious disease spreading. It might seem unnecessary, but I've always been surprised at how many people really are oblivious to a lot of current events. Obviously, in a contact sport there's going to be a lot more chances to spread the virus among players than just shaking hands before the match.

I think sooner we're more likely to see players playing in empty stadiums.

50 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Toilet paper is such a pointless thing to hoard. If you're locked in your own house you can clean with water or the dog :ph34r:

It had me worried though because we were nearly out, and basically counting to be able to find some on the shelf.

My son made me laugh yesterday when I asked him to pick me something up from Asda where he works, He told me he would take a look to see if they had any of what I wanted in stock only that people were obviously panic buying... I said probably, but doubt very much they are panic buying chocolate Bounty bars.... 

There are now 197 deaths in Italy because of Coronavirus. That's the most deaths because of this disease, in any country around the world after China. Italy are really getting it bad.

In fact the first cases of this disease in Ukraine, came from Ukrainians who had travelled to Italy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51777049

Edited by Michael