talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I said to someone today that more people have survived Coronavirus that have died. He said the virus just goes to sleep or something and they might still die. Is this true? Because if its not the survival rate is pretty good 

Yeah thankfully is not that fatal because if the mortality rate was at around 50% or higher (i.e. more people died than survived once infected) we would be having a new bubonic plague on our hands here haha. WHO's latest estimate from today's report says the current virus' case mortality is around 3.4% globally. Might look like a small number at first glance but if the spread is not contained then it could mean hundreds of thousands or even millions dead depending on how many get infected. The Spanish flu of 1918 had a similar if slightly lower mortality rate and still became one of the deadliest pandemics in human history as it killed some 30 million around the globe. Granted medical care and overall living conditions were already fucked due to the war back then so there were more factors in play; but still. Also it's not only about the mortality rate anyway. Approximately 20% of the cases result in serious symptoms that require hospitalisation (oxygen therapy; artificial ventilation; etc.) for weeks meaning that the affected country's healthcare infrastructure would likely get overloaded very quickly (especially in developing countries) leaving a lot of people without access to medical services they require, potentially resulting in countless numbers of other people dying because of completely unrelated things. All that in turn also has an effect on workforce and economy, leading to further problems. Sure that's a speculative worst case scenario but I think it's not hard to see the bigger picture of what could happen if any outbreak became as serious as some the humanity had in the past. The problem is that there's a widespread trend in society where the majority of people seem to see things as either black or white as if there's nothing in the middle; and that's not different to the reactions in this case.

• Upvote 3

On 03/03/2020 at 01:53, nudge said:

That bat soup video was not taken in Wuhan - and not anywhere in China for that matter - and the first patients haven't even visited the market where the virus was thought to have originated.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/27/dont-blame-bat-soup-for-the-wuhan-virus/

I actually didn't know of such video xD Just read that it might have come from bats so thought someone might have eaten one with the virus.

We have officially jumped to double digits.

An Italian tourist was found infected. He in turn infected 15 other Italians in his group, and their Indian driver. All of them have been quarantined. 

Elsewhere, the man from Delhi infected 6 others. Fortunately, none of the 40 odd kids he came in contact with got the infection.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Boris went to Kettering hospital. 

Boris shook loads of patients hands there. 

Boris said he shook hands with a few coronavirus patients. 

Kettering does not have any coronavirus cases yet. 

Don't lie. Don't be an idiot. 

Don't be like Boris. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

I figure by the end of March we're going to start getting more reports here. I've just been told that client visits are shut down and that everything has to be done over vid-conferencing. Shame as I quite like the campus my client has and they have a nice view from their rooftop.

1 minute ago, Machado said:

Isn't the state's best interest to have people tested? Weird that you'd have to pay anything at all.

Without wanting to start anything off, money is king in America, regardless of ethics or morals. 

Didn't someone say earlier on in this thread that those who wanted to return to America had to pay for a seat? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Are countries restricting flights to Italy, Iran etc? 

Yes, several countries have restricted flights from these two countries, as well as the other countries that have had many cases of this virus.

2 hours ago, Azeem said:

Read somewhere that Iranians did knew about the virus early on but authorities thought it was SARS or the Middle Eastern version of it that doesn't spread beyond Far East at most. Lol bet they didn't see this coming xD

SARS and MERS have ridiculously high mortality rates though - so you'd think if they thought it was either of those, they'd be pretty fucking panicked.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Batard said:

My concern as a parent is whether children are strong enough to survive if they get it. 

That's understandable. I think some promising news is there have been no deaths of anyone younger than 9 with the disease (so far).

• Administrator

Bosnia has confirmed 2 new cases @True Blue

3500 people on a cruise ship just off California called The Grand Princess - a former passenger on there has died...

A cruise ship just off Athens has told all its passengers to stay on the ship; a former passenger has tested positive for the virus...